“Excellent location, good rooms and cheap”
Review of The Klagan Hotel

The Klagan Hotel
Ranked #14 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights whilst climbing Kota Kimabalu. The room was comfy however when I checked in the second time after our climb I found my bath covered in hair. Housekeeping came and cleaned it but it was gross. On a positive note the breakfast was great, with fantastic views onto the sea. The location is perfect right next to the night market. The hotel was also booked very cheap through an agent overseas. All in all an excellent stay at this hotel apart from the hairs in the bath!

Room Tip: Sea view a must. We did not pay for a sea view however we were offered a side sea view which was gre...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Had a one night stay in this hotel. Checking in was a breeze. No problem with food because hotel is located right smack in between rows of shops and shopping centres. 2 24 hour convenience stores located right next to hotel. Room was large, and wifi connection was fantastic.

Room Tip: Book way in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My room was deluxe grade. The room size is enough to me and the hotel location is convenience to those shopperholics as it is at the center of the town. The bad experience to me of this hotel is the room condition checking not in deep. I found that the water pipes was leaking both at basin and bathtub. And I found the whole floor was cover by water after my shower. I saw there's a hole at the shower curtain plus the leaking. Finally I clean it up by myself.......

Room Tip: Depends what u looking for. It must more valuable to standard room if you have not request for a big...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Never before have we stayed in a hotel were there is a 1000 ringitt fine for bringing in Durian or Jackfruit - our lack of experience perhaps - but it was a great shame that cigarette smoking in the bedrooms did not incur such fine as well, as the first room we were given smelt so bad that we had to change it, and the corridors generally reeked of smoke. I do not think that I have ever stayed somewhere where the corridor carpets were as badly stained and dirty looking either. The desk staff struggled with our request for a room change and check out took quite a while as well. As others have commented room partitions are thin and there was appreciable noise from the air conditioning and plumbing, which at times was fairly deafening. On the positive side, the location is good and the bathroom fittings and fixtures were of a good quality. The breakfast was varied and had something to suit most tastes. On balance this is not a hotel we would chose to stay in again however. I am sure there must be better for the price in KK. We can recommend the Sri Melaka - 5 minutes walk from the hotel, for dinner. The best meal we had in Malaysia and at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank steppeagle
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed on the 10th floor in a 'deluxe' sea view room. It was well worth the extra, as we were reliably informed the standard rooms did not deliver such a good sleep. Unlike the standard room, this one did not suffocate with cigarette smoke (many guests are enthusiastic smokers). The Klagan staff are lovely, very helpful and friendly. The room was great, superb view over the harbour. One can recline in the big red chair and watch the enormous tropical sun heading smartly for the horizon - the only thing missing is a G&T (no bar). We didn't miss the pool, as went to the islands each day - a short trip, around RM180/pax including BBQ seafood lunch whether you want one or not. We prefer our sea creatures alive-O in their natural habitat. Time over again would have stayed on the East coast - this one is chocka with package tourists in the peak months. Overall - good hotel, would recommend for business travellers more than families, but does the job.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe rooms with sea view - it's glorious.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Victoria451
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel has good location as it is in the center of KK and all the convenient liked malls, eateries and local attractions within walking distance. Therefore, the rooms availabilities may be an issue so booked early.

I booked the deluxe room & it got a nice view of the sea. Room was spacious, clean and had most of the appliances were in working conditions except for the video player remote which was out of batteries. I didn't had any breakfast there so i can't comment on that. Wifi was free & the signal was strong.

The bad part of this review was that the lift lobby smelled. Please put some air fresheners as everyone uses the lift and the smell was mostly unwelcome. The staffs although seems friendly but lack courtesy as they were near the door but didn't opened the door for you or worst still let you wait at the lobby for hours even-though my room was ready to be check in. The staff had promised to call me when the room was ready but let me just sit around the lobby for hours.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank halimran7
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Travel period: A week in July 2013
Room type: Atrium, booked through Agoda.com
Room & service: Level 10, large bedroom and shower room, view facing another wall though. Had to call room service to refill toilet papers for a few times, thin walls. Pillows were too hard for my liking. Check-in, check-out was fast. Breakfast selection was poor, same thing every day. We'd rather walk to Fook Yuen restaurant to have yummylicious dumplings. Good complimentary wifi.
Location: Very close to water front, Centre Point (quite similar to Kuala Lumpur Sungei Wang Plaza in my opinion), Wisma Tun Fuad Stephens and Filipino market. Behind it there's a free shuttle service to 1Borneo mall which departs hourly (first come first served). About 15-20 mins walk to Jesselton Point and Suria Mall.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple