My wife and I stayed at this resort for 9 nights between 25 Feb and 05 March 2011. When we booked we were aware that renovations were being undertaken so this did not inconvenience us. In fact it was great to see the workers carrying out their various tasks.
We did not have one single complaint. Our Malaysia Airlines flight from Perth got us into the hotel at about 7.30 am and we expected several hours delay before we could check in. No such problem - our room was ready and we occupied it by 8am. Checkout was midday, but our flight was not until 6pm so we asked if we could have a late checkout and this was extended to 3pm. Excellent service, but this can't be regarded as a right of passage because it obviously depends on occupancy rates at the time and cleaning schedules. We were lucky.
Reception staff were welcoming and taxis were readily available from the gate staff within a couple of minutes. Originally we had booked for the sister hotel - the Rasa Ria, but we changed it at the last minute because of its relative isolation and the fact that we are not golfers. Great if you are, but our decision was vindicated since it was only a 12 minute taxi ride into the centre of KK with numerous eating venues and shopping available within a short distance of each other..
The Cafe Tatu had an excellent and varied menu as did its evening buffet which was good value, although a la carte dining was still available for those unable to handle the huge selection available from the buffet!! All the staff were efficient but Ignatius deserves a special mention - every morning he was there to provide brewed coffee and hot milk. The Shanga Chinese restaurant is well worth a visit, especially to try the prawns in chilli paste which we enjoyed on two occasions.
Room staff were always pleasant and attentive and nothing appeared to be too much trouble. Our particular supervising room attendant was Theresa - an absolute gem.
We will return.
Bernard and Lourdess McCleary
Perth, Werstern Australia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Southall Travel, Agoda, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu