“Good but not really a 5* Hotel”

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Kuala Lumpur
“Good but not really a 5* Hotel”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We arrive at the Hotel on 16th March only to find the pool is still under renovation when it was said to be finished by 15th March. It was very noisy and so we threatened to stay at another hotel, but the reception staff was kind enough to upgrade us to the Mabul Suite with the price of a standard room which we couldn't resist...

What I liked about this Hotel was the wonderful Breakfast, Shangri la standards.. definitely. Another thing was the clean beach... Water was clear and unpolluted. The Mabul Suite was something we enjoyed... nice clean rooms and seaview. But amenities weren't functioning very well...

What I didn't like was the renovation of the pool that made lots of noise and the fact that my room was the furthest from the Beach! It clearly stated in the hotel's website to be done by 15th march only to our disappointment they failed to keep their promise... Not very 5* like. we expect efficiency from a world class hotel and unfortunately it isn't one.

Rooms are very expensive so budget travelers have to look elsewhere. Good for relaxation and that's pretty much it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
AndrewSteele-GM, General Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2011
Many thanks for staying with us recently and for sharing your comments.

I am terribly sorry that the renovation coincided with your holiday but we do need to take some time out sometimes to maintain and improve the facilities. The hotel was working with and reacting to information provided by our contractors and Project Managers and I am sorry that we were all let down by this information and last minute delays and failures.

Once again, I apologize that your trip was affected by the necessary program, but trust that we will be able to welcome you back to experience a completely upgraded and world class pool, beachside dining and health club experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at this resort for 9 nights between 25 Feb and 05 March 2011. When we booked we were aware that renovations were being undertaken so this did not inconvenience us. In fact it was great to see the workers carrying out their various tasks.
We did not have one single complaint. Our Malaysia Airlines flight from Perth got us into the hotel at about 7.30 am and we expected several hours delay before we could check in. No such problem - our room was ready and we occupied it by 8am. Checkout was midday, but our flight was not until 6pm so we asked if we could have a late checkout and this was extended to 3pm. Excellent service, but this can't be regarded as a right of passage because it obviously depends on occupancy rates at the time and cleaning schedules. We were lucky.
Reception staff were welcoming and taxis were readily available from the gate staff within a couple of minutes. Originally we had booked for the sister hotel - the Rasa Ria, but we changed it at the last minute because of its relative isolation and the fact that we are not golfers. Great if you are, but our decision was vindicated since it was only a 12 minute taxi ride into the centre of KK with numerous eating venues and shopping available within a short distance of each other..
The Cafe Tatu had an excellent and varied menu as did its evening buffet which was good value, although a la carte dining was still available for those unable to handle the huge selection available from the buffet!! All the staff were efficient but Ignatius deserves a special mention - every morning he was there to provide brewed coffee and hot milk. The Shanga Chinese restaurant is well worth a visit, especially to try the prawns in chilli paste which we enjoyed on two occasions.
Room staff were always pleasant and attentive and nothing appeared to be too much trouble. Our particular supervising room attendant was Theresa - an absolute gem.
We will return.
Bernard and Lourdess McCleary
Perth, Werstern Australia

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nexttripahoy
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We stayed in a club sea view rooms next to each other. They had wonderful views of the sea so we were able to enjoy some of the most spectacular sunsets we have ever seen. The room was nice with a comfortable king bed and all the necessary facilities. Nothing exceptional but all there. The breakfast was excellent but other wise food average and expensive in most other restaurants. The only exception was the chinese which was exceptional and we really enjoyed eating there. The food was fantastic and we have eaten chinese in many places around the world including HK and China. The pool and surrounding aread was good but just about to be renovated. The beach lovely but rarely used. Only a very small beach but a nice place to hang out at the end of the day. We particupated in some activities and they were all good. We went to the urangutangs at Rasa Ria resort which was a good trip out and my husband played golf there which he enjoyed. It was a bit hot for golf! The hotel is well located to get in to town and we went to eat seafoood few times which was really good. We also took a trip to Sandakan and returned to this hotel for a few days at the end of our trip. A lovely haven in a country that often has very basic facilities elsewhere.
The staff were really helpful on every occassion and when our flights were changed at the last moment for our trip to Sandakan and return to HK where we were going before returning to the UK the staff were extremely caring and helpful. They even came to the airport with us to ensure all was well. What stars they were. We also enjoyed the staff by the pool, in the dining rooms and so on. Our room was always well made up and room service good. Go to Yoga classes very good indeed and a wonderful spot in the spa looking out to sea and the islands - bliss.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank WandaSlack
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We had a great day and wonderful stay at shangri-la tanjung aru. This was our first time to stay in shangri-la tanjung aru and we are very excited as soon as we arrived here. We booked room at kinabalu seaview but they told us that we have been upgraded to tanjong wing due to noise. Room at tanjong wing was very spacious and very clean with a nice seaview as well. We have been given complimentary shuttle to sister hotel Rasa ria to use the pool. Felicity from front office was very helpful and patience though our stay at the resort, professional and fast check in and bring us to room, and she can speak chinese too. She was the first staff that we met at the resort who can speak chinese! She explained us everything about the hotel and places of interest around the city. All staff also very friendly and greet us well. Menu and food at the restaurant was amazing and a lot of choices. Taxi service was very fast and concierge was very helpful and suggested us for a tour. We really enjoyed our stay and do plan on returning. We will recommend to our friends in hong kong!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chen15
Sweden
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Stayed at STAR for 4 nights in the beginning of January.

First, when checking in, we had to wait for quite some time, eventhough there was only one more guest in the reception, and lots of staff hanging around.

We were well informed in advance about the renovations, but it was worse than we expected. Rooms were ok but the surroundings of the hotel were almost all in construction. We had at least hoped that we could have had breakfast outside, but instead there was a big plank outside of the breakfast restaurant, that totally obscured the view of the sea and the resort area.

We tried to stay away as much as possible from the hotel, but one day, when taking a afternoon excusion, we decided to go to the hotel beach for a few hours. Even there there were big planks and banging. When trying to get something to drink, we were told to go to one of the guestrooms. There was nobody there, just some trays with dirty dishes.

In the evening in the bar (inside, as everything else was closed down) there was no music or entertainment whatsoever. We asked why, and were told that there usually was, but not now because of the renovations. One would think that the hotel would try and do more, not less, for the guests when renovating.

We were really disapointed with our visit at the hotel, and even told the staff so. Nobody seemed to care.

Two things were however good. The concierges were very helpful and friendly and the Italian restaurant, Pepino, was outstanding. Otherwise our rating would have been worse.

I suppose the hotel will be nice when the renovations are done. We regret that we didn't book another hotel this time.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am alarmed that we gave you the impression of not caring while our renovations were happening. It is true that we were working with less facilities than usual during the period, but we placed great emphasis on caring for our guests. I am extremely sorry that we did not deliver on this.

Now that our upgrades have finished I do trust that you may give us the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to improvement and I would be delighted to personally take care of your reservation.
Mumbai
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I stayed at Shangrila’s Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kotakinabalu for 5 days – 4 nights in March 2011. It’s location is great and an ideal place for holidayers. All rooms have lovely view of the sea and the hotel has all that you require to make your holiday successful. The staff is really warm. I found that all of them bow down whenever they see you - A typical Malaysian style of accosting people. I had the opportunity to visit their Tatu Café, Shang Palace and Borneo Lounge & Bar.

The Tatu Bar is very well manned and I observed that one never feels unattended. The Chinese restaurant – Shang Palace also provides authentic Chinese food which is supported by a nimble staff. The Borneo Lounge is also a great place to meet over drinks.

I also used their coneference centre. The staff were good and very helpful.

Amidst all these I had the following experiences because of which I probably would not recommend this hotel to any one:
- On March 2nd I made two calls at the service centre for placing a wake-up call for the next day. But the operator forgot to call me up. Clearly there are gaps in this process.
- On March 3rd ; at around 10pm I found lizards in my room (Room – 470) next to the table. I complained about it but the response was very luke –warm. I spoke to the operator called Firna. But only after reminding twice did two housekeeping girls by the name Leena and Sabina appeared with a broom. Poor helpless girl they tried finding the lizard but nothing really happened. I finally told them to leave. I thought that the Duty Manager would come and see me. Or I would be told to change my room. But the response of the staff to such a grave issue was very luke-warm. Clealry the hotel does not have an adequate service recovery process.

- You request for newspapers in the service centre no: 0 but it typically takes a lot of time. For example when I spoke to a lady called Abzean on March 4, 2011; it almost took around 20 minutes with two reminders to get the newspaper delivered.

My conclusion, this hotel has warm people but no processes.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DebuDeb
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to give your comments.

While I am delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay in our resort, I am sorry that we did not provide our usual standards of service during your stay and must apologize for our numerous shortcomings.

I have personally investigated and am working with our team on fixing some of the issues you have identified and improving our delivery of service standards to the quality level that they should be.

The problems you pointed out with our front office are indeed not acceptable and again, not to our standards. I agree with you that these types of issues should not be present at all and in particular during our upgrading period. At the end of the day the responsibility for this lies with me and I assure you that myself and the management team will be doubling our efforts to ensure we do not have repeat occurrences such as you experienced.

I do trust that you may give us the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to improvement and I would be delighted to personally handle any further communication with you.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to demonstrate our commitment to improvement and usual standards.
Cananda
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the STAR and I could say even the property is under renovation, but we enjoyed our stay there and definitely will return. It gives you the feeling of a resort but also very close to the city center which you can blend in in with the local life.
Staffs here are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very clean and spacious. Especially I like the shower, water pressure is very strong which I think it's very important for me. Housekeeping comes in the morning and clean up your room and they will come again in the evening and check if you still need anything.

There's some useful information :
Transportation :
from KK airport- Buy a taxi ticket on arrival level RM30 appox 10 min
from hotel to KK city center- flat rate from hotel RM15 apex 15min
from city center to hotel - by meter RM16-18 or you can negotiate before you get on

Hotel Facilities:
Under renovation period free shuttle to Shangri la Rasa Ria to use their pool apex 50min. Need reservation for both way. On the return trip, you can ask to drop off at the KK city center.
Island hoping: There's a dock behind the hotel. There's boat leaving every hour for the island. One island cost RM55 and discount for multiple islands.
Best hangout for drinks:
Sunset Bar - sit down and relax right in front of the sea. Enjoy the best sunset view with your favorite drink.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank JoyJoy123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
#11 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!