“Land Below the Wind”

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed here in Dec 2012 for 1 week,though we both wished it could have been longer.From the moment we arrived,we were treated like royalty! We were wisked away from the airport by the hotel curtesy air con minivan that was sent for "us!" a short pleasent ride to the steps of the hotel where we were greated by seven staff two playing the traditional Bornean gongs very impressively.
We were met by Elisabeth,who sorted out our check in,it was smooth and prompt no queing we were supplied with fresh cold lemon drinks and cold towels which I was very greatful for as I was dripping with sweat. On leaving the minivan my luggage disappeared and was taken too our room without any prompting and no charge or tipping no haggling it was just there in our room. My first impressions, I was made very welcome there was nothing the staff wouldn't do for you, they were all very happy and willing to speak and correct my early efforts at Bhasa Malayu.
The room was wonderful,gorgeous view of the sea,and it was cleaned every day,with fresh towels and bedding changed, all normal then.
The walk in shower fully on cold was to die for after a hot sweaty morning/night/day out etc , coming out of the shower with out drying and sitting on the balcony with beads of cold water on me is a feeling I love.
All the staff are so happy and courteous and they were all so pleased to greet y us as we initially walked around the grounds when we tried to speak Malay back to them we where listened too and then politely corrected until the words were reapeated correctly.
The breakfast buffet in the Tatu restaurant,is more than adequate,with every taste catered for.
I dined as early as possible 0615hrs to about 1000hrs with my wife joining a little later and always sat outsise on the terrace,so we didnt find it busy.Special mentions go to Suzzana,and Nur'ayien for their excellent service and supplying me with pots and pots of tea and suitable language advice and corrections, by the end of the week I was conversing in Malayu with the breakfast staff for about three hours and they all cheeryily waved and introduced themselves each morning when I arrived.Its the most fun Ive had at breakfast without food being throw!
We also ate here once in the evening and again it was a buffet menu,to sort all tastes, i was tiring of Malay (Nee) noodles for breakfast so in the evening I had mongolian and fruit as a change,also pasta. Yak is a fine meal!.
The Borneo bar is excellent too,special ambience in there,with views of the pool and the sea you can also feel the monsoon and the wind as it comes in through the open windows and with entertainment most nights it was easily the best place to be and with WiFi we were able to chat to people at home, special mentions to Elfrenna and Rashid,here who were most attentive, and were visably upset if you attempted to walk to the bar for a menu, they were kindly reassuring and would guide me back too my seat and another waitress would rush over and smile then take my order.Elfenna would then return to ensure the order was taken and we wanted for nothiing else, ship shape and Bristol fashion as the saying goes, except I've been to Bristol and it isn't anything like as sublime as Borneo!
The pool,espeicially the infinity pool is to die for.Stunning views of the islands......
We did a few day trips to the other Rasa ria,to see the orangs,well worth doing and shuttle bus is easily arranged at front desk it is very hot in the sun on these trips so a large brimmed hat is a must okay your gonna look like the archtypal jungle explorer, but its a must if your visiting from colder cilmates ie Europe! .
We also visited Sapi island by boat.This is a tropical island,where you can go snorkelling,and see many fish,the water is very salty and its easy to float, in fact I had a 15 minute snooze on my back bobbing around with the water lapping at my sking and the sun burning the beads of water away, sunglasses on,didn't have my hat on for that bit.Though the day we went,it was quite crowded.You can pay extra and have lunch on the island this is a basic canteen affair and you will be queing in the hot sun for 15 minutes before being at the head of the que.We opted for a couple of cold beers from the local shop sat on the porch and watch people que,people watching is great fun when your in the shade!
One day we hired a driver for 400 ringitt,and he took us to The observatory post,to the biggest mosque in Sabah,to some local markets,to Kinabalu park,Hot poring springs and a canopy walk.The canopy walk was a real experience although we only saw a flying squirrel the springs are a public baths that are tiled over if your expecting the stunning views of Iceland forget going.
It must be said,the weather was really hot,32 degrees plus some days,and it rains most evenings.We saw no jelly fish,sand flies during our stay and only a few mossies, no insects in our room and no snake in the bath so all was good!
Didn't use the spa, beach small clean tidy and netted off to stop jelly fish and trawled each day very good as bar next too it,bar meals very good.
We were both upset and sad to leave,the girls Kelly and Elisabeth both waved us off.We made many friends,we will definately return.It is heaven on earth.Thank you Tanjung Aru.
"One may pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind"
Malay Proverb.
If you embace the culture and speak to everyone you meet just to say hello you will find a beautiful people and a stunning country that is far removed from the introspective world of the west/Europe/UK.
Would we go again OOOH YES!

Room Tip: I hesitate to say The rooms in the Tanjung wing as they offer sunset views and are quieter.Now Ive s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David N
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We just completed a 4 night, 5 day stay at the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru. We traveled with family (4 adults, 1 toddler) and another family friend (2 adults, 1 toddler). We found the hotel to be perfect for a family getaway - our son was well entertained the entire time, this is an excellent family resort and frankly I found the service to be very strong. The pool is outstanding for kids under 4, and the adult section is good for swimming and sun bathing.

1. HOTEL ROOMS
We stayed in two connecting rooms - Kinabalu Suite connected to a Kinabalu Seaview room, we were in rooms #13/14, the views were fine, the distance from the elevator was ok, but if you want ultimate privacy go towards the end of the wing, i.e we were in the middle. Suite was good sized, two separate rooms, the second room has a sofa bed which is great for a helper/nanny if you are bringing one. There is only one bathroom which is good sized, but our friends were in the Tanjung Aru wing and stayed in a suite there and there suite was almost 2x the size.

The hotel is environmentally friendly, there is no bottled water, but the hotel provides liters of still/filtered water which is perfectly fine.

2. Our son is 18 months old, he was kept busy the entire time. He played in the pool, he played in the "Cool Zone," he played in the walked on the grass, I think he would have enjoyed the venue even more if he were older. There are daily activities for kids aged over 4.

3. FOOD - we ate at coco joes many times for lunch/dinner, we ate at Shang Palace, we ate in cafe tatu and we ate in peppinos. We also ate breakfast in the kinabalu lounge every morning except the first.
A. Coco Joes - we ate dinner here, had grilled fish, the food was pretty good, prices were acceptable. Lunch was better in my view - but it takes a long time to serve the food. We had chicken sandwiches, burgers, sandwiches, salads and it normally took about 30-40 mins for the food to be served.
B. Shang Palace - we had xmas eve dinner here, probably the best food we had all week. I was surprised there is no fresh fish though, for an island resort and on the coast of borneo, to have only frozen fish was a bit disappointing. Overall, the chicken, beef, veggies, all very tasty, obviously can't be compared to Shang Palace in HK, but probably the best dinner we had in KK.
C. Peppinos - we ate here for xmas dinner - good food, most pricey restaurant among all the hotel dining venues. we had pasta, fish and lamb here, overall the food was pretty good.
D. CAFE TATU - HORRIBLE. WORSE THAN A COLLEGE CAFETERIA. WE ATE HERE THE FIRST EVENING WE ARRIVED, 8PM, AND IT TOOK 45 MINS TO RECEIVE THE A LA CARTE ORDERING - yes most people eat buffet here, but the food was not fresh and almost all the pots were empty. Horrible food, lacked taste, wouldn't eat here if the meal was free. BREAKFAST - even worse than the first dinner - and to illustrate how crowded the place was 4 adults and a baby had to cram into a table that was originally set for 2. Additionally, Tatu has to have 3 egg stations because the restaurant is so crowded. While there are many options and selections, the food was not tasty and most of the dishes were empty because there were too many customers.

SERVICE: i found the service to be very good - i don't blame the staff for slow service of food at the pool, it's to be expected after all it was xmas holidays and the hotel has some 450+ rooms. I do think the hotel could better manage the situation by having additional staff. I found everyone to be very helpful, friendly and nice.
- In the Kinabalu club for example, my son wanted some yoghurt and Windy went out of her way as did Susana to order some boxes of yoghurt from the kitchen which was not in the kinabalu club.
- At the pool, Jazni the manager, Spencer, Yusuf were all extremely helpful, going out of their way to help fill up our jug of water and continuously add ice.

CHI SPA - mixed reviews here. We had 3 treatments, 2 were excellent, 1 was ok, and our friends had 2 treatments and they thought the experience was ok. Price wise, very reasonable and cheap frankly, only about US$100 for 75 mins.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay, this is not a hotel for honeymooners or couples, it's a big, high occupancy hotel and we intend to visit again very soon. Food could be improved

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank emandjeff
Reviewed 30 December 2012

we had a cute room with amazing seaview but compare to the other 5 star hotel it is expensive. the reception need more training, and we book from AGODA for two person they just give us one breakfast, but anyway we go into the cafe from the other side and have the other one breakfast freely~~ nobody cares about you haha~~ and the lobby is hot the fee from hotel to cheap airport is too expensive 35RM coz its just less than 10 mins. But it is the best place to see the sunset and score for the price

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Stayed here for almost a week in November 2012. We were very pleased with the resort. We had Western facing room with amazing sunset views. The rooms were great and we enjoyed sitting on the balacony each morning and evening. Rate included breakfast which was always good with more choices than we could eat.

Ate in all the food outlets and they were very good. The Chinese venue offered one of the best meals I have had. High Tea was a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. The Italian venue offered very good food and solid service. Room service food was also very good.

The spa was fantasitc! Worth EVERY penny!

Yes, there are number of childgren as this resort caters to families. But the adult pool always had room and the private beach is very nice.
Yes it is expensive. But it's a resort and they make it so you never have to leave if you choose.
This is a big resort that does a very good job of taking care of you. If you want quiet and secluded, then stay someplace else.

If you want a solid Shangri-La experience and very pleasant stay, you won't go wrong.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed at the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru in late November and had an awesome time. We would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic and relaxing break, and Borneo is a fascinating country that has lots to see and do.

Location - the hotel is about 6km outside of Kota Kinabalu, and there are not really any buses, but you can order a taxi from the hotel concierge for 35 ringgit which is about £6.50. There is a really good Korean restaurant just a few minutes outside of the hotel grounds, and there is a very good night market and 5-6 beach bars only about 6-7 minutes walk away. If you walk a little bit further (about 20 mins away) there is a lovely and pristine park which is nice to walk around, and there is a lake which does a synchronised fountain display to music in the evenings which is really nice.

The hotel itself has everything you would expect from a 5* hotel and is absolutely spotless, and has a good variety of restaurants, pool, beach, gym, beach bar, kids pool/water slides, shop, spa etc.

The room - we stayed in a Kinabalu Mountainview room which sadly does not have a view of the mountains - just the palm trees/tennis court. Having said that the room was large, the bed was extremely comfortable and the room had everything you would expect including complementary bottled water; large tv, balcony, hairdryer, bath, separate shower, complementary toiletries etc, and complementary use of an umbrella (it can rain a lot in Borneo - we were very lucky not to have had any rain). There is also a turn down service each evening where they turn down the bed and leave a little poem/flower which is nice.

Birthday surprise - it was my boyfriends 30th birthday while we were staying there and the hotel staff decorated the bed with petals, left a cake, basket of fruit and a card, and also put petals in the bath. It was a lovely surprise to my boyfriend. I highly recommend you notify the staff if you are celebrating a special occasion as they could not have been more helpful in making the day special.

The pool - the infinity pool is a bit smaller than it looks in the photos, but was still very nice - if a little deep! It can get a bit crowded though as the sun loungers are all tightly packed together round the infinity pool (the loungers around the kids pool and the gardens are far more spread out). There are some jacuzzi beds in the infinity pool but they don't really create enough bubbles for them to be a real jacuzzi experience. The views from the infinity pool are excellent though - looking out over the islands just off shore. There is also a kids pool and waterfall. I think the kids pool and water slides/games would keep even the most active kids occupied all day.

The beach is small, but very clean and lots of sun loungers. There were people in the sea, but there is always a sign warning of jelly fish so we tended to use the pool instead.

We ate lunch at the beach restaurant most days. It was reasonably priced and had plenty to choose from, but the service here was very slow. You also have to pay more to sit in the beach cabana's - even when they are not busy/being used. There are a number of other restaurants to choose from which looked very nice, but we preferred to get out into KK.

Sunset bar - WOW!!!! probably the best sunset views anywhere in the world...such a great place to watch the famous Borneo red sunsets with a nice cocktail of bottle of wine. Tip - get there before 5pm if you want to get a good spot as it gets very busy the closer you get to sunset which is around 6pm. Also - even if you think it's been a cloudy day, still go and watch the sunsets as even on a cloudy day they are still spectacular.

A highlight of our holiday was the trip to the sister hotel - Rasa Ria to see the orangutans. Trips are usually half day 9-2 or 1-5 and it takes up to an hour to get there. We chose to stay longer at the Rasa Ria though so got the 9am bus and came back on the 5pm bus. You can organise the bus trip via the hotel concierge and it costs about 30ringgit. You have to pay extra to see the orangutans which I think was 30 ringgit. Feeding times are at 10am or 2pm and you can view the orangutans while they eat, in their natural habitat, for about an hour. Be warned that they are semi wild so you may need to wait for them to come over to the food platform but it is well worth it. I've been to Sepilok before and found that the Rasa Ria orangutan experience was far better as you are closer to the orangutans, and it is less busy. We also did the canopy walk afterwards. This again can be arranged via the concierge at the Tanjung Aru and was inexpensive. The canopy walk has a great view of the jungle and the beach of the Rasa Ria. We didn't see get to see monkeys, tarziers or snakes or anything like that, but we did see lots of spiders and other creepy crawlies, and our guide was very informative and made sure we knew all of the signs to look out for. We then had plenty of time to relax by the pool which which was very nice. This day trip was one of the highlights of our holiday - a must do!

Staff - my boyfriend was ill on our last day (dodgy food from the Philippinno market the night before) and the staff could not have been more helpful and attentive. They arranged for the hotel chauffeur to drive us to the nearby doctors surgery, and gave my boyfriend a basket of bananas and some energy drinks, and arranged for the chauffeur to pick us up again when finished at the doctors.

The gym/facilities - our flight on our last day was quite late, and check out is 12noon. However you can still use all of the facilities and can fresher up in the showers in the gym etc.

We had a lovely stay and wished we could have stayed longer. Thanks to everyone at the Tanjung Aru for making our stay special.

Room Tip: Note that Kinabalu Mountainview rooms do not have views of the mountains...just the gardens/tennis c...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wendyeh333
Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a nice resort for families with young kids. It's beautifully layed out with plenty of activities for the family to enjoy with great scenery all around. Unfortunately, the resort has more guests than it can handle, not to mention tons of screaming kids everywhere. Not a place I recommend for a secluded honeymoon. The place is overcrowded with lines for everything. People have to fight for a beach chair by the pool which leads to inconsiderate guests placing their towels on the poolside chairs and disappearing for the rest of the day, leaving no place for other guests to relax. The buffet restaurant is packed with people and the service quality is poor. There just isn't enough staff to take care of you after you have been seated. Additionally English is a problem with most of the staff which makes it a drag to have to ask for anything. The service definitely fails to live up to the shangrila name.

We had several problems from the moment we arrived. 1) The hotel room was not ready in time so we had to eat lunch there before we checked in. 2) We had asked for a king size bed but got two full size beds. they ran out of king sized beds so resorted to putting our two full size beds together.
3) both the tv and the remote were broken and we had to wait for maintenance to come in and fix it. Plus we had an ant problem In the room and not to mention the dead spider on the pillow when we arrived. You would think they would do a room check before turning it over!

4) our room was located at the far end of the resort next to the suite which was extremely loud at night due to the wedding party. We were here for 4 nights and it was just annoyingly loud to get any sleep. And of course the hotel didnt do much.

5) there Iis free wifi throughout the resort but it is extremely slow and a lot of the time you cant even log on. the connection at the room was horrible.

6) the food here isn't great due to the large size it caters to. It's a tad better than your college cafeteria with service being equally horrible and guests scrounging for food and cutting in
Line at the omelette bar. There were just too many people and not enough staff to serve.

7) the staff is very friendly all around the resort, but poorly trained and not knowledgable. Many barely even speak English. It can be frustrating when you stay here for several nights!

8) ordering food from the poolside takes forever. We were here for 5 days and it takes on average 30 min to get a kids meal hamburger which arrives cold every time!

9) overpriced Christmas dinner. We paid rm500+ for a dinner for two with the same cafeteria buffet food with all you can drink wine or beer. However, everytime you want to order a drink, you have to wait 5-10 min and remind them twice before the waiter finally gets the drink. Little things like this just takes away from trying to enjoy the dinner.

Sent from my iPhone

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 25 December 2012

4 days 3 nights at tanjung view rooms. great place, great facilities, but not five stars service. there are lapses of services here and there.
within 3hours of checkin and at the waterplay area, my aunty was shouted at by a staff who claimed that my daughter did not follow his rules. how on earth will my gal know his rules when all he does is blowing his whistle at a dozen of kids? he kept a solemn face and kept rubbing his eyes and hitting his head while on duty. i raised this issue with the manager. she was quick to rectify and offer a bottle of wine as service recovery. lovely gesture, but that incident already left a bad taste.
had buffet dinner on my second nite and i found a chipped small crockery saucer was used to serve the cake. my goodness. that could easily rendered a cut if not careful. raised this to a waiter and he promptly kept it with an apology.
i had all my meals in the hotel and i personally found the food at the chinese restaurant to be of good quality. as for the buffet dinner, please give it a miss. it is yucks. has quantity but no quality. room service is so so. drinks at the lounge were nice thou.

Room Tip: tanjung view rooms are closer to the pools and restaurant
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank immanlyn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#5 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!