Having read the broadly positive reviews about this hotel from other Trip advisor travellers and with it hitting the correct tropical latitude that I was searching for my wife two children (aged 9 and 6) and myself decided this would be the place for us to spend a two week relaxing holiday in the sun (and enjoy a long stay discount deal!). From the moment we arrived to the time of our departure we were left in no doubt that we had made the right choice. This hotel has got it all: outdoor water-fun for the kids and indoor activities too, with a programme which lasts everyday from 10am to 5pm. Besides this there is the possibility for all of the family to play: tennis, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, football, bowls and when one's had enough of that there are two large swimming pools (one for adults and two for kids) as well as a sandy beach located within a smallish enclosed cove. My wife and I also made use of the Spa and Fitness Room (complete with Sauna, Steam-room and Jakuzzi bath) which were both top notch. There is an ice-cream/sweets bar which we made good use of everyday, as well an excellent well tended bar and restaurant which caters to local or western tastes, but also serves vegetarian dishes as well as delicious smoothies and juices. The main restaurant is where one is offered an enormous variety of options for breakfast and then again an equally impressive buffet is offered in the evening. In our package the kids went free, which was great. All of the staff were consistently courteous and friendly to all of us and the rooms were cleaned regularly without any fuss. Indeed, I struggle to find anything to moan about. Yes, the hotel is large and thus has lots of guests during the main meal times, but even this one can live with since the whole atmosphere at the hotel is so relaxed. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and indeed I think we might well return ourselves, since we're not done touring the many tropical islands with unique diving/snorkelling opportunities that dot the North East coast of Borneo. Incidentally, there is an on-site local travel agent which was very helpful in organising a number of planned tours including an overnight stay in the heart of the rainforest along the Kinabatangan River, where we got the chance to meet the country's two star attractions: the Orangutan and Proboscis Monkey.
Just two final remarks: i) don't bother booking the hotel's expensive limousine service on arrival the airport. A local taxi from the Arrivals room will cost half the price. ii)Regarding money changing into MYR, this is possible from the Airport (I got Spot -3% for Euros), although the money changers in the Shopping Centre in KK gave a slightly better rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Agoda, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts and Booking.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu