I read various reviews at Trip Advisor about Shangri-La Tanjung Aru. There were some fabulous reviews and there were also some very bad ones too. That got me worried but I after communicating with the hotel about my concerns and some specific needs we had during our stay, we decided to chance it. And it was the best decision made!
We received a warm welcome at the hotel and check in was done in the comfort of our room. I had informed the hotel prior to our arrival that we would be there with the family to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had adjoining rooms just as I requested. And there were rose petals on the bed for our wedding anniversary and a cake too! For my 3 year old, there was a welcome bag of colouring paper and crayons. And there was even a little potty! For my baby, there was a cot, a mini Johnson's Baby bath, shampoo, lotion & powder. And also a bottle warmer and sterilizer and baby bath. The hotel staff went above and beyond in making our room absolutely perfect.
This is an excellent hotel for kids. The kids' pool has slides and fountains and all sorts of water activities. My kid especially enjoyed the Angry Birds water war where you catapult water balloons at least other. There's also Cool Zone which is the kids' club, where there are activities throughout the day to keep the kids busy. There's also a baby's area which is padded and has all sorts of toys to entertain a baby.
There is fruit flavoured ice cold water available around the pool whenever you need a drink. There are even mascots who walk around the pool to delight the kids (god bless the mascot wearers who must be sweltering in those suits in the hot sun)!
There's also a deeper infinity pool where adults can chill, away from the excited children.
The beach is clean but small. The start attraction here is the pool. For a long white sandy beach, Shangri-La Rasa Ria would be better.
You may have read that breakfast at Cafe Tatu can be a bit crazy and that part is true. But to give them credit, the staff really do their best to seat everyone and ensure the guests' needs are met whenever possible. When there are too many people, the overflow of guests are channeled to the Chinese restaurants. It's much quieter there so this may be an option for you. But Cafe Tatu will be better if you have kids as there's a small buffet line for kids and there's always a mascot to greet and play with the kids.
Many guests at this hotel also go to the orang utan sanctuary at Shangri-La Rasa Ria. That is about 1 hour drive away, one way. For those who have seen monkeys and orang utans before, this is not too exciting as the baby orang utans are quite far away from where you will be standing. But for those who haven't seen orang utans before, it may be quite interesting.
Out of the blue one night, there was a knock on the door. Room service sent us a cake as it was our domestic helper's birthday. That made her day and we were very appreciative of the gesture.
One of the most memorable scenes from our trip is the sunset. It was absolutely breathtaking every single evening and we went to watch it every single day. This is a MUST see. And ensure you have your cameras with you.
Overall, it was a great stay. A big thank you to the GM, Craig Powell and his wonderful team. We will certainly be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Priceline, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu