Maybe the Tanjung Aru wing rooms are upgraded - our seaview room in the Kinabalu wing could certainly have done with some upgrading - tired carpet, bathroom showing signs of age. I had hoped for more. Bad start when in order to get into the room proper, we had to step over a bucket, outside our bathroom which was collecting water dripping from the air con unit. So we were left to contact maintenance- perhaps the job of whoever recognised the need for a bucket!!
Then there was a problem with the sofa bed which wasnt satisfactorily resolved for 24hours after one very uncomfortable nights sleep by my son. Dont settle for the pathetic sofa bed - they have
proper trundle beds with decent mattresses - we just had to be persistant.
And yes everything is ridiculously expensive. The cabana at Coco Joes was a nice setting for a meal - but too expensive to do more than once - and the steak was cold which was very disappointing at that price! We found one very good, one good restaurant in KK so there are alternatives.
And i agree with others that breakfast at hotel is adequate but not as good as Traders in KL.
I wouldnt go back during Christmas New Year by choice - we were a family of young adults and we would have appreciated more space away from the young children. It is a very small part of the main pool which is dedicated to adults only.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, TravelUp, Priceline, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu