This place (we are still here) is very good. I really wanted to give it a four star rating but compared to my other large hotel experiences its just a bit below 4. Anyway, its a very busy hotel, we were told100% capacity yet in the wing we are in you would hardly know it, over looking the mini golf course is very quite. The mostly Chinese clients are quickly taking over the Japanese in their quest for craziest photo takers, this makes it a bit hard to walk around the grounds without being told to stop so someone can take the 50th photo of his girlfriend.
The staff are fabulous, I watched a very rude Chinese guy yesterday ranting because the staff had said 1 to 2 persons in an accent that sounded like 1 to 2 percent. the guest was very rude and we were amazed how tolerant the barman was. In Australia he may have been thrown in the pool.
The sunset bar is pretty funny, I forget that as Australians we see many fantastic sunsets, but yesterday there was a 100 or so people taking photos, it was really nice to see.
food is great however someone should tell the Chinese guests that there is plenty of food to go around and we will not starve, pushing isn't the way to get your eggs any faster. Drinks compared to the Australian prices are cheaper and out on the street as usual cheaper again, but I dont feel I need to take a second mortgage if I want to have a few drinks by the pool.
We arrived very early on the first day, this isnt Shangri La's fault but they made us feel welcome and have a special arrival area for tourists to hang out and sleep or make some tea before their room is ready. As for rooms they are great. huge beds (2 king singles pushed together) which is awesome. the airconditioning works well, no in house movies just the normal Malay t.v, if you like movies or t.v bring a hard drive with your favourite shows loaded.
Outside the hotel Kota Kinabalu is great, the food is wonderful and the locals very friendly. I really hope this place doesnt turn into Bali or the busy parts of Thailand. Give me the occasional rude chinese guest over fighting abusive australians any day.
Thank you Shangri la Tajung Aru, we will be back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, Destinology, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu