We stayed at the Tanjung Aru for seven nights after four nights at the Rasa Ria (and three on a tour). The hotel is very convenient for the airport, though you never hear the noise during your stay.
The welcome was wonderful, the staff very friendly and attentive. We were told about the upgrade to the Kinabalu Club, which we decided to take (200 ringitts per night), although it was in no way a 'hard sell' - you were able to say no if you wanted. The upgrade was, in our opinion, well worth it, and it helped make our stay. The view from our room was awesome, of the beautiful islands and the room itself was huge, with a great bathroom, and all the extras you could need (free safe, bathrobes, slippers etc.). There were also nice touches like the turndown service and a paper left in your room. The club lounge has a lovely breakfast buffet, with a choice of hot and cold buffet, as well as a menu with waffles, omlettes, french toast etc you could choose from. In addition, there are free drinks every night 5-7, perfect for a pre dinner beer! Wine is also included, which was great as wine in general is pretty expensive. The staff were great, and nothing was too much trouble, with one helping us to get in contact with a tour operator regarding a trip we had booked.
The pool area is great and there are lots of sunloungers. We didnt venture onto the beach, which is not as impressive as the one at the Rasa Ria. However, the Tanjung Aru does have the proximity to Kota Kinabalu, and we had some good trips into the city, bargain hunting (the souvenirs are much cheaper than at the hotel shops) and also for food at the Waterfront area.
The restaurants are good at the hotel, especially the Coco Joe's BBQ, and we enjoyed a nice (if not expensive) meal at Peppino's, but on the whole the choice was probably better at the Rasa Ria (but I suppose it depends what you like!) At both the quality was excellent.
We also had fun using the facilities such as pitch and putt and I had a great massage and facial at the spa - again not cheap, but amazing - you have your own private bungalow by the sea, where you can also take a turkish bath - beautiful.
From the hotel, we did a number of trips to the islands, to Kinabalu Park and white water rafting, all of which we organised ourselves, though there are tour operators on site. Overall, this is a beautiful and luxurious hotel to come back to after a hard days sight seeing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, TravelUp, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Agoda, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu