Just returned after a week at the Tanjung Aru. The hotel is efficiently run and well presented. Staff are courteous,willing and friendly. We upgraded to the Kinabalu Club. I would certainly recommend doing so as it is excellent value for money. We paid an extra 150MR per night in total,approx. £25 at the then rate of exchange. Other reviews have stated the benefits received by Kinabalu Club members,so I shall not repeat them.
It may be more helpful if I said why I only give this resort 4 stars and not 5. To my mind,a hotel does not deserve 5 stars just because it is efficient and the staff are friendly. That is what hotels are supposed to do ! It's the details that are important in this regard,and that is where I had a few reservations. Firstly,the pool is advertised as being open from 0700hrs every day. In fact,the deep pool never (and I mean that) opened before 1000hrs. It was cleaned for two hours prior to 1000hrs. No objection to cleaning the pool obviously,just to the timing. The temperature at about 0900hrs is 30Cand very humid,so getting in the pool is almost a necessity ! Secondly,bearing in mind there are three pools and a paddling pool;why cannot the deep pool be for swimmers (of whatever age). Too often,parents with little toddlers would bring their rubber rings,etc..and proceed to push their babies around in the deep end. The result was that swimmers were restricted in how they could swim. Thirdly,service by the pool for drinks etc.. was poor to non existent.
Finally,there is the issue of prices in the restaurants. These are exorbitant. We never ate at the hotel. One or two previous reviews have said that the prices were acceptable because that's what one would pay at home in the UK. The point is that it is not the UK ,but a developing nation. Would you get a loan from a bank in the UK and pay an APR of,say,500% on the justification that the loan sharks in a country halfway around the world charged that rate ?
I do not wish to end on a sour note. Overall,we enjoyed our stay at the TA and would recommend it provided the above caveats were borne in mind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Destinology, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu