“Very good hotel”

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I've only given this hotel 4 stars (if there were decimals it would be 4.5!) because we also visited the sister hotel, the Shangri-La Rasa Ria which is definitely a 5! The Tanjung Aru is closer to town/airport though, the RR is about 45-60mins out of KK.

We had 2 meals at Coco-Joe's restaurant which we're both very good and reasonably priced.

My only gripe was that check in wasn't very satisfactory. The staff member seemed to think I should have had a voucher for our stay when it clearly said on my booking that no voucher was required which was correct. This is really something they need to sort out with the agent and not bother the guest about! The check in at the Rasa Ria is a whole different experience, maybe they can learn from this?! You take a seat on a comfortable sofa and the check in staff come to you! Along with chilled towels and a refreshing drink!

But apart from this we had a very nice stay.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had two families (2 adults and 2 kids each) staying at this resort for 2 nights in July 2014. I requested 2 connecting rooms in advance. The rooms are excellent, and the kids had much fun running round in the rooms!

I would say this resort has met the expectations of a 5-star resort in KK. Maybe because of the peak season when I stayed in this resort, there were too many people, and I was not very much impressed by the services, activities, facilities, etc during my stay. I would also say that the Kids' Club is great for younger kids (3-7 years) but not for older kids.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Belinda C
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've been here three or four times now on family holidays.
The first time i was a young child and it was amazing, the playgrounds, the pools the staff and kids club!
Our most recent visit was around 10 years later, i'm now and adult and it was just as fun!
One staff member even recognised my family and i!
This resort has so much to offer. The food is incredible, the pools are beautiful, you can snorkel at the surrounding islands, play golf. It is such a fantastic holiday resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TheFrequentHolidayer
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We are staying at the Shangri La Tanjung Aru and we are very much disappointed by the experience. We spent 8 nights the four of us (02 adults, 02 children: 02 years and 09 years). We had excellent previous experiences at other SLs both for family vacations and during business trips (Rasa Ria in Kota Kinabalu, Dubai, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Yangon, Jakarta, etc). The least we can say about the SL Tanjung Aru is that it is far below Shangri La standards, and also, below 5* standards:

- Room: The furniture is worn out with too much mould in the bathroom (see pictures). We had to remind the housekeeping to provide the bathrobes and small/medium towels daily. The throughput of the AC is not good enough. The hotel arranged a sofa bed for our eldest daughter, but the mattress was so worn out that we had to ask for an extra single bed instead (and still, the extra bed is merely better). The king size bed mattress is really too hard.
- Staff/Service: the staff is nice but overwhelmed especially at the swimming pool area & bar since the place is understaffed. The quality of the food of the buffet at Tatu and outdoor bar/grill is average. At the outdoor grill, the menu is really basic and limited, while waiting time is long.
- Leisure/Activities: the kids water playing area (water slides, etc) is really nice but the area is not well maintained. A lot of holes in the ground floor protection layer at the kids swimming/playing area (water slides, etc.) leaving the concrete layer apparent and posing risks of accidents are not taken care of.
Though a family oriented resort, nothing is organized evening times, such as show/performance outdoor diners.
- The beach: The seafront walkway is nice with a great sunset view. However, the beach is actually very small and the seawater is not clear (clean?), thus always empty (except for the sunset). For those looking for a nice beach and swimming spot, this is definitely not the place to go to, and the only option is to visit the (crowded) near-by islands (the boat transportation fees through the hotel are expensive though).
- Reception/Concierge: The welcome is very impersonal. While we arrived late at night and the reception was not crowded at all, we didn't even have the usual welcome drink.
The hotel policy with regards to taxi transportation to the city is also questionable. Either you take the hotel taxi service provider (paying a flat rate of about 10USD for a 10 minute ride to downtown!), or you hire a normal taxi by yourself (the hotel won't call one for you).

We're leaving the hotel with a big disappointment, unlike the experience we had at SL Rasa Ria last year. For about the same price, the latter is undoubtedly way much better in all respects.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MoezM M
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel at around 1:30am. Even though it was late at night, I expected someone to welcome us (a bellboy or a guard or whoever) since it's a high-end hotel but no one did. The lobby was amazing. I can still remember the details of the roof, the furniture, etc. I was in awe with what I saw.

Even though it was late at night when we arrived, we were able to order drinks thru room service. I like that room service is open 24/7. I'm just not sure if they also serve food late at night.

During breakfast, we were surprised with the number of guests. The place was really quiet at night even though it was fully booked at the time of our visit. With a number of water activities for the kids, most of the guests were families with children. Also, I was supposed to swim in the pool but since I couldn't find an empty pool bed for my stuff, I just left and swam at the beach.

We tried drinking at the sunset bar. It wasn't convenient because the toilets are located near the pool, far from the bar, and it was raining at that time. No one offered to escort us to the toilet or lend us umbrellas. We then moved to another bar closer to the pool (I just forgot the exact name of the bar). There, the bartenders/servers were very friendly. We actually had fun that night.

Overall, I think that this hotel is best for families and couples. There are really a lot of activities for kids and it can also be a very romantic place for couples.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Celine R
Reviewed 6 August 2014

It located close to the Airport, but it seems not close to an airport. It is comfort and clean area. I stayed this resort for 5 days with my family. It is great place when you stay here with a kid. Great see view and sunset! It is one of best vacation- :)

Room Tip: If you choose any club room, it would be better. You can use nice and useful lounge!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just returned from a wonderful holiday at the Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa.
Before traveling, we were deliberating between this and their Rasa Ria resort. I'm pretty confident we made the right choice.

We up-graded to the Kinabalu Club. Well worth doing as you get good quality complimentary food and snacks from late afternoon till early evening as well as decent beers, wine and spirits. Also,their breakfast is good (enough choices for me) means you miss out on the busier downstairs breakfast which apparently has more choices (according to my wife from Hong Kong), you can choose either option.

Room was great. My 4 year old daughter loved the swimming pool and Kid's Club. The beach is nice and clean and the sunsets are amazing. We found all the staff to be very helpful and polite, nothing seemed too much trouble.

Not a 5 circle review you may ask? There needs to be more western style a la carte options for lunch and dinner. We enjoyed Peppino, their fine dining Italian restaurant, but could not afford to eat there 5 nights consecutively. All other options were buffet style and though a la carte options were available, they could be more varied.

All in all. A great hotel for families and we would most certainly return.

Room Tip: Pay the reasonable up-grade to the Club Rooms. You avoid the crowds after a day by the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#5 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!