“Disappointing first Impression”

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Disappointing first Impression”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Having stayed at the Rasa Ria on a previous trip to Borneo and had a wonderful experience, we felt that the Tanjung Aru would be an equally good option just closer to the airport for our two night stay. However, it is simply not comparable to the Rasa Ria which we also stayed in again later on this trip to Borneo.

Unfortunately, our trip was spoilt by a poor first impression, arriving late on a Saturday evening we had to wait some time until we were checked in, which in itself was not a problem. When we arrived at our room we found it to be a Kinabalu sea view, but we had booked a Tanjung sea view. On phoning down to reception I was initially told this was the room type I had booked, when I then insisted it wasn't I was told we had been upgraded to this room type which sat on the Kinabalu club floors, so I enquired if this meant we could use the lounge - no unfortunately it didn't, so it was in essence a standard Kinabalu sea view room. You will see from the hotels website that the two room types are very different in terms of decor and in addition at the time of booking and also when my husband searched again on the day we arrived the Tanjung sea view was the more expensive room. I insisted that I wanted to see the Tanjung room so was asked to meet them at reception, before being shown to Tanjung room and eventually at my instance we were moved although the whole experience took about an hour, the last thing you want when you have been travelling for nearly 24 hours.

The hotel were insistent that the Kinabalu was the more expensive room, despite the fact it wasn't showing as such on their website we were told the view was better and therefore it was an upgrade and to this end they were not very apologetic - I appreciate being moved from a garden room to a sea view room is an upgrade but I have never known a hotel to say they were upgrading you simply because you were on a higher floor - I have also never known a hotel to upgrade you and not tell you at check in - it left us with a feeling that they had not been particularly honest with us because they had an issue with the number of rooms they had left. To context this I have travelled extensively for business and pleasure and never requested a room change before, but I do believe in getting what I have paid for.

In general even with this experience aside the Rasa Ria which is the other Shangri La hotel c45 minutes away is a far superior hotel in terms of service and restaurants (breakfast at the Tanjung was not in the same league). The sunset bar is lovely for a sundowner but you do need to get there early to get a seat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dentonsdestinations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Townsville
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It was our Honeymoon. We can't say one bad thing about our stay. The service and the quality of food was great. It was one of our best holidays we have ever had. The service from the staff was incredible and we loved just drinking and eating by the pool. Very good to have adult only pool. Thank you to all the staff

Room Tip: The cleaners did the most amazing job.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

3 Thank Michelle S
Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

All staff are extremely friendly & welcoming. The Sunset Bar & Coco Joe's both wonderfull, food very nice! Great personalise service from Service Manager Mr Halmi and the team, Ms Lina, Mr Addy, Mr Riched and not to forget Mr Harun. We skip breakfast but sure Mr Majid & Mr Adnan will make your day! Highly Recommended Resort at Kota Kinabalu!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Coconutshake77
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is an amazing 5 star resort that lives completely up to its name and achieves beyond.
Every singular staff member has a passion for the hotel and customer service, we are a family of 4 and I live half my life in hotels with my job, and would have to say,this is the finest stay we/I have had.
Was our 20th wedding anniversary and the staff filled our room with flowers. We are now planning our next visit.

We are coming back.

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a Tanjung executive suite. You then get club access.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is amazing by all means. The staff are very friendly I mean everyone of them. The food, the cleanness, the rooms, the view. Everything is just perfect. I really recommend this place for any couple want to go to KK. And definitely we will come back again. Thank you so much Shangri-la team.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Muhammad E
Incheon, South Korea
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The most incredible hotel that I have ever been to. It is a piece of paradise on earth. Expensive for a student like me but it was totally worth it! From amazing views to the most polite and friendly staff to an array of restaurants and a heavenly poolside it was amazing!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Middlesex
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I've only given this hotel 4 stars (if there were decimals it would be 4.5!) because we also visited the sister hotel, the Shangri-La Rasa Ria which is definitely a 5! The Tanjung Aru is closer to town/airport though, the RR is about 45-60mins out of KK.

We had 2 meals at Coco-Joe's restaurant which we're both very good and reasonably priced.

My only gripe was that check in wasn't very satisfactory. The staff member seemed to think I should have had a voucher for our stay when it clearly said on my booking that no voucher was required which was correct. This is really something they need to sort out with the agent and not bother the guest about! The check in at the Rasa Ria is a whole different experience, maybe they can learn from this?! You take a seat on a comfortable sofa and the check in staff come to you! Along with chilled towels and a refreshing drink!

But apart from this we had a very nice stay.

Stayed August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
#11 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!