Having stayed at the Rasa Ria on a previous trip to Borneo and had a wonderful experience, we felt that the Tanjung Aru would be an equally good option just closer to the airport for our two night stay. However, it is simply not comparable to the Rasa Ria which we also stayed in again later on this trip to Borneo.
Unfortunately, our trip was spoilt by a poor first impression, arriving late on a Saturday evening we had to wait some time until we were checked in, which in itself was not a problem. When we arrived at our room we found it to be a Kinabalu sea view, but we had booked a Tanjung sea view. On phoning down to reception I was initially told this was the room type I had booked, when I then insisted it wasn't I was told we had been upgraded to this room type which sat on the Kinabalu club floors, so I enquired if this meant we could use the lounge - no unfortunately it didn't, so it was in essence a standard Kinabalu sea view room. You will see from the hotels website that the two room types are very different in terms of decor and in addition at the time of booking and also when my husband searched again on the day we arrived the Tanjung sea view was the more expensive room. I insisted that I wanted to see the Tanjung room so was asked to meet them at reception, before being shown to Tanjung room and eventually at my instance we were moved although the whole experience took about an hour, the last thing you want when you have been travelling for nearly 24 hours.
The hotel were insistent that the Kinabalu was the more expensive room, despite the fact it wasn't showing as such on their website we were told the view was better and therefore it was an upgrade and to this end they were not very apologetic - I appreciate being moved from a garden room to a sea view room is an upgrade but I have never known a hotel to say they were upgrading you simply because you were on a higher floor - I have also never known a hotel to upgrade you and not tell you at check in - it left us with a feeling that they had not been particularly honest with us because they had an issue with the number of rooms they had left. To context this I have travelled extensively for business and pleasure and never requested a room change before, but I do believe in getting what I have paid for.
In general even with this experience aside the Rasa Ria which is the other Shangri La hotel c45 minutes away is a far superior hotel in terms of service and restaurants (breakfast at the Tanjung was not in the same league). The sunset bar is lovely for a sundowner but you do need to get there early to get a seat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, Agoda, Travelbag, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu