The hotel is undergoing renovations so I am sure my view of it being a little tired will change.
The plus sides for the hotel are the fact the rooms are very large so there was no feeling of being cramped even with a child in the bed! The bed is massive!
We had a ground floor sea view room (ground floor by choice) and this was a good idea as you could go off the veranda onto the large grass area with sea views. Enabling children to run around while you can relax with a view.
The rooms are nicely done with a good size bathroom just a little worn around the edges but nothing to stop you choosing the hotel to stay at.
The slides area is in desperate need of new flooring as the rubber matting is all broken and coming away, again didn't impact on our enjoyment of the slides which are great, but it did leave the overall look as being quite shabby. I did notice some staff photographing the area and writing notes so it's probably in the pipeline to fix it up.
The breakfast buffet was excellent, always well stocked svn with a huge number of guests at one time. The variety was great and we really enjoyed the Malaysian section with curries...yes even for breakfast!
The staff at the hotel are all very eager to help and friendly with a smile.
The kids club could do with a bit of a revamp in terms of activities, it's fine for an hour to cool off and watch a movie and the girls in there are super friendly but the activities were a bit unplanned.
So although I've said average this is mainly due to the fact the hotel is a little tired but if I am back in KK I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Destinology, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu