Didn't get off to the greatest start when pre-booked airport transfer didn't turn up and eventually on arrival at hotel to be told our booking had been cancelled. A few emails to agent in England and them talking to the hotel resolved the issue but did tarnish our 10th wedding anniversary slightly. With respect to the hotel management they did eventually send complimentary Moet & Chandon champagne, chocolates and a bottle of red wine - thankyou !
Ignoring the first 24hrs, I have to say that we were very impressed with the hotel and I agree with other reviewers that it is a LARGE 5 star hotel and therefore is not going to be very quiet or provide complete pampered luxury. What it did provide was excellent facilities that kept both ourselves and our 5yr old son busy. The pools were never overcrowded and in fact one of them was usually very quiet and maybe used by a few adults only. The pool with the shallow child area was more lively but I wouldn't say that noise was ever intrusive for anyone sunbathing nearby. We enjoyed the free use of bicycles, table-tennis, badminton, petanque, tennis and pitch&putt which can often be chargeable at other resorts we've stayed at.
We stayed in a Tanjung Wing executive suite which was great as it had a seperate living area where my wife and I could chill once our son was in bed. We highly recommend club lounge which served breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktail hour. This was never busy and the service was fantastic (as it was all over the hotel). Our son was able to use the complimentary internet access whilst we had a refreshing cup of tea and tasty cakes !
Food wise we split our time between the evening buffet (about £15/adult and son was free) and also had room service where our son would usually have a pizza, I'd have a malaysian dish and wife would have another main course. This worked out about £25 for all of us which I thought was fairly reasonable. The evening were usually started off with a happy hour at the sunset bar (about £8 for 2 gin & tonics, £3 for 15 pieces of satay chicken/beef) where we watched some fantastic sunsets and the daily ceremony of light the torches. Great fun for the family.
One final mention should go to the kids club. We normally don't make use of these as we our on holiday as a family and want to be together. In this case we struggled to get our son to come out of the club. We felt very happy with the quality of the staffing and the facilities they provided . He was happy to pop in and out of the club and check on us sunbathing nearby.
In summary, a good family hotel that offers a great location, great facilties, good food and drink options and excellent staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Agoda, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Priceline, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu