We stayed for 3 nights of our honeymoon in Borneo and rate the Shangri La very highly. We secured a bargain rate of around £60 per night by using the company's price match guarantee (very straight forward). The resort certainly surpassed our expectations.
The service was wonderful, little treats were included especially for our honeymoon. The food was delicious. There was a pretty cool VIP style nightclub, though sadly we only had time for a brief look in. The setting was romantic. Kota Kinabalu by the way is a surprisingly vibrant little city. The hotel's lobby, grounds, restaurants and bars were plush. The rooms were spacious with wonderful, sea views. We booked a cheaper garden view room, and apparantly had a 'garden view'. There was actually a wonderful surprise of 360 sea views and the local fishing stilt village just behind the garden! I had no idea that the hotel wasn't 5 star until I returned and found out on trip advisor. It seemed to meet 5 star standards for me.
However, in the spirit of giving a balanced review, there were a few less good points, though they made little to no difference to our enjoyable stay here. The room decor was perhaps not the best we have seen. The beach wasn't that enticing, there was rather a small stretch. Also, there were a lot of families. Perhaps if we paid the full rate we would have been a little disappointed by these things. As it was, we had a wonderful stay, the staff couldn't have done more to make us feel special and we will certainly return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Southall Travel, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu