“Nice hotel with a green profile”

The Palace Hotel Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #35 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed here 3 nights (Jesselton full as always). This was a good second choice. It is a bit uphill, has small pool facing the forest. 15 minute walk from the city centre. A nice veranda outside the restaurant looking down on the pool, an facing the forest. Staff very friendly, wi-fi good (could stream tv-programs from Sweden). Breakfast fine. A good gym. It has an environmental profile with a re-cycling policy, a nice small garden with named medicinal plants, and a nature trail. Only downside was a very loud fan outside my window, had to sleep with earplugs. All in all a price-worthy hotel, will consider staying here next time.

Room Tip: ask for a quite room, without a noisy fan...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lenagu

Reviewed 25 January 2014

It's much nicer now than it was 3 years ago when i stayed last time. It's out of the way and quiet yet close to anything you may need ie. karamunsing is just down the hill. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was 80% basic local but the other 10% was real good especially the belgium waffles. The grounds in the back and the pool are very nice. Definitely worth staying at and will be returning here often, my new favourite place to stay in kk. Oh yes, and they have a great choice of channels on the tv…….

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Front Desk staff very fast & efficient to check us into Room 216 on 16 January 2014. Room is clean, spacious with comfortable bed. It has complimentary coffee/tea with free wifi services.
It is located within walking distance to a shopping center with eateries and the hotel do provide free shuttle services to city center. Welcome drinks are choices of coffee/tea or juices in the Cafe Tangerine. The daily breakfast that we had was good. It has very delicious curry noodle too. . I had a foot massage in the Hotel Spa which is great. The Glamourous Lounge offered great choice of karaoke songs with courteous staff and a friendly DJ. A sure hotel to recommend Even thought there is a power cut on the 2nd day of our stay due to power plant problems, i would still recommend its a nice hotel with good services. .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank WorldGlutton
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I booked a superior room for my sister and her family with rate given ringgit 231nett per night by reservation sarimah then I was expecting a confirmation letter to be email back to me but none( not a good start) then my sister told they were given the lowest floor and very tiny room which fit for 2 only.Then I made a call all the way from Australia asking if my sister could be move to slightly bigger spacious room, the front office name Lam said its ok with no extra charges.When I checked my credit card account, I was so shocked that they have charged me ringgit 100 more for the room.i don't mind paying if the staffs would just let me know that there will be upgrade charges in the beginning of our conversation instead of secretly swipe my card for the hidden extra room charge.This is so disgraceful for them to do that...I have also mentioned about their website to the front office reception over the phone and he was not happy about that . Their website showing rooms which was so deceiving.I had a pleasant stay with this hotel back in 2010 but will never recommend this place to friends. My advice please do always check your credit balance account because this hotel staffs will charging your credit card secretly

Room Tip: Make sure double triple check with their front office staffs about rooms rates before agree to it an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kimaks
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I bought 2 nights of the standard room package with AA Go Holiday. For the price range I could choose between this or Cititel Express, which is right in the town center. I opted for this hotel because I thought the room was a lot bigger compare to those in Cititel (they're like pigeon holes).

The hotel is situated on a slight hill side and their standard rooms are located on the lower ground floor, same floor as the gym, (small) swimming pool area and function rooms. That means most of the rooms do not have window (I was aware of that). The entire floor had a very musky smell as soon as you came down from the stairs, same in our room. Our room was 002 (and they gave us single beds, I didn't ask for change) which was parallel to the drive way above and had a window that looked out to its concrete barrier wall. Room was a good size for a "standard" came with all the basics that you'll need (but no safe). There was a dresser and a long bench, plenty of surface to lay out your things. Walls were thin like biscuits, I could here footsteps coming down the stairs, next door baby crying, people chattering from outside the building even car engines sound from above! Pillows were flat, I had a stained bed sheet but was changed the next day. Our rooms didn't come with breakfast hence I can't comment on that part but we were given complimentary drink vouchers.

The front desk staff were friendly. Extra towels from room service was quick. It's about 15min walk to the city center crossing a pedestrian bridge. Situated on the hill slope also makes it quite a workout to walk back at the end of a tired day. If you're too tired to walk you can opt to pay RM15 for a taxi ride. Really, there's no reason for me to return. I'd look for other hotels that are more convenience next time.

Room Tip: Can't think of one, unless you like the lobby, stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Not a bad place. Rooms are ok though nothing special. Wish they had a fan cos I hate air-con. Pool is a good length so it's fine for exercise swimming. There's also a nature garden and small walk.

BIggest drawback was internet - very slow. So slow that I missed my game of rugby! Wanted to watch it through live streaming - but the connection was so slow I couldn't even open the web page nevermind watch the stream. This was not a one-off - it was always very slow.

Secondly, on check out, the porter forget to order our pre-booked taxi, so we were late to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Zambezikid
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

I travel often and have stayed in different hotels and countries.
Palace Hotel was an utter disappointment and regret.
Condition of the room was old. The toilet amenities were sparse - no cotton pad or bud, there were patches everywhere on the floor of the bathroom.

Our room was a connected room to a suite, and there was absolutely no sound proofing - with a very visible gap below the connecting door. We could see that our neighbour had their light on throughout the night, and we were awaken 4 times by the sound of their phone alarm at 4am in the morning! There were also creaking sound of the Aircon vent and the empty mini fridge. No bottled water was provided in the room too.

Lastly, Room Service food was poor. The staff came up with the food and bill for me to sign but without a pen! I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are far more better hotels around the city and cheaper (check out Oceania)!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple