The Hyatt Kinabalu is immediately welcoming and familiar, an oasis of calm comfort in the middle of humid Kota KInabalu. The building itself is old, but refurbished and I like that, the building blends nicely into the city skyline with its quaint curved window frames and Minangkabau-curved roofline.
The lobby has a low-ceiling, understated decor, dark wood accents and provides a visual
link to the city's colonial past - it speaks of elegance and almost evokes a sense of bygone grandeur. There are also slight hints of the richly forested interior of Sabah and its many indigenous peoples - as in the carved lobby door handles, and the tiling highlights in the bathrooms.
The use of rattan furniture and the dark wooden benches in the lobby further carry this
theme. Just beyong the lobby, natural light streams into the coffee house from the overhead perspex ceiling - what was once an open atrium now converted into this airy space where lazy afternoons can be spent basking in muted sunlight, in airconditioned comfort.
My room was large, airy and modern, with flatscreen TV and rain shower, yet the wood panelling, even the colour of the carpet, reminded me of the rainforest. And I loved the local touch - a pair of sarongs in the wardrobe for the use of guests!
One of the best things about the hotel is its location - an unobstructed view of the waterfront one street away. Sunsets in KK are absolutely spectacular as the sun sinks over Gaya island and turns the sky salmon-pink. Shops, restaurants, the fish market and Filipino crafts market are all a short walk away, and there's a shopping complex next door to the hotel.
Standards of cleanliness and hygeine are what you'd expect of a top-notch hotel. "Cosy" usually doesn't apply to big hotels, yet that's what the Hyatt is - comforting, homely and warm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience five-star Sabahan hospitality at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, the premier choice for business and leisure travellers to Sabah, the Land Below the Wind. This luxury hotel in Sabah is a mere 15 minutes drive from Kota Kinabalu International Airport, offering a central location in the heart of the city close to tourist attractions and stunning views of the famed sunsets in Kota Kinabalu. Unwind in one of our 288 spacious rooms and suites all exquisitely designed with sophisticated comfort in mind plus some of the best views in Kota Kinabalu including those of the sparkling South China Sea or the Kinabalu city surroundings. Dining options at our three Kinabalu restaurants and bars are a food aficionado's delight with some of the best food the city has to offer. Be it a dip in the blue waters of the outdoor pool, a relaxing massage at the Avantang Spa and fitness centre or a party at our Shenanigan's Fun Pub, our Kota Kinabalu hotel in Sabah has it all for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hyatt Regency Kinabalu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Kinabalu Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Kota Kinabalu