“Okay Hyatt property but exterior and lobby need major refurbishment”

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Los Angeles
“Okay Hyatt property but exterior and lobby need major refurbishment”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

It was my first time here at Kota Kinabalu, as well as my first time staying in this hotel. Compared to other Hyatt properties, Hyatt Regency Kinabalu has its pros and cons. The rooms are definitely the highlights, which are all freshly refurbished with modern furniture, comfortable bed, sufficient lighting, and the bathrooms are clean with a good shower facility. There are also a number of restaurants located in the hotel. I had a pleasant dinner in the restaurant. The hotel staffs are also friendly, and the bell staffs are at hand to assist with luggages. However the exterior and the lobby of the room looked very dark, and it was time for a major clean up and refurbishment. As a Hyatt elite member, I got free wifi, but the basic wifi was almost too slow to be any useful. I had to pay an extra 30 MYR to upgrade to premium, which is basically the normal speed but downloading music and video are still slow - definitely not the "premium" speed that they are trying to sell. BTW taxi to and from the airport costs 30 MYR and it is charged based on a zone system. From the airport, please remember to go to one of the taxi counters to purchase a ticket, and from the hotel, please ask the bell desk staff to assist.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Adrian L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Nice rooms, well appointed as they say, unlike most of the reviews here, I think it deserves a 5 star rating. I've not stayed in too many hotels in KK, but this is the best I've been in so far deserving of the Hyatt label.

Best part of my stay was the shower - rain type that feels like a tropical storm. It does take a bit of trial and error and engineering skills to get it set correctly. When I turned on the shower, it was not reset to the hand shower so I had a few seconds of cold "rain". The shower maintained constant temperature during the shower. The room was on the 7th floor.

Internet works. Period. Not South Korea speeds, but reasonable enough to get most iPhone-y things done. I didn't try youtube - why try to tax the Malaysian internet system which treats 1mbps as "broadband"?

Stayed in the hotel at the start and end of a long 50km trail race in Mount Kinabalu, and chose this hotel to have a good night sleep before and after the race. It was good to have something to look forward to while at kilometer 40 in the hot sun, dreaming of the lazy life.

All these luxury in KK comes with a price. Although reasonable for western standards, its on the expensive side for Malaysia. Not horribly so.

Oh, the hotel looks outdated from the outside. Perhaps due for a facelift? Then again I'd fuss more if the hotel looks killer from outside but sucks inside. Killer inside, sucky outside is fine with me.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Dufffader
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have stayed in many Hyatt Regency around the world & it is supposed to be 4 star only. Here they're claiming to be a 5 star establishment, this hotel does not live upto the 5 star rating & for the price charged. The rain shower in the bathroom could not be used as the water pressure is low & had to use the normal hose shower which is low in pressure & sometimes no water. Worst of all water temperature control fluctuates very fast. Luckily, I was not scalded when I switched to more hot water when the shower turned a bit colder.

The bedroom probably had thin walls & ceiling coz every movement on top of my room or the room next to mine, i could just be annoyed by their tapping noise created by other room guests next door or above mine. This is an old building, I remembered I had stayed there almost 20 years ago when I came with my family. Luckily, the rooms are refurbished.

The steak I ordered at Mosaic bistro is not hot presumably it was left unattended for some time before it was served to me after cooking.

Had a breakfast accompanied for the price package. I had to check-out early on my last day of stay and was unable to have breakfast at the cafe area, so I opted for a breakfast pack upon check-out. To my disappointment, I was not even offered anything when I made my check-out.

Worst of all, the hotel concierge does not ensure guests safety and allow taxis to fleece the guests. Metered Taxis insist not to use their meter even when told. A 2km ride costs RM12.00 and from the hotel to airport which is less than 5KM costs RM40.00? Aren't taxi prices the same compared to Peninsula Malaysia ie. Johor Bahru or Kuala Lumpur? This is highway robbery. They even had the cheek to issue a receipt for the price charged.

Hyatt in Manila, Philippines always ensure taxis in their compound gives an estimate price for the destination before it departs & ensures precautions & instructions are delivered to the taxi driver to use their meter.

It is surely not a Hyatt & probably should be downgraded or change name. I will try to stay there again soon & see if it was me who had a problem or that it is the true Hyatt hospitality in Sabah that needs a change.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Yap W
Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel have really good service, from the receptionist to the housekeeping lady were very helpful n friendly. Room was clean, well kept, n equipped with the necessity. Depends on which view you like to have, for me i prefer the sea view. City view would be cheaper though. The location is strategeically in the centre of the city. U name it, suria sabah, centre point, wisma merdeka, gaya street and etc... shop till u drop n enjoy the sunset sunrise view at your heart desire. hotel food also not too bad. Would be even great if the hotel cud have more variety on the food. Swimming pool, spa n fitness centre are clean, and the environment is fine. Worth the value. Enjoyed my stay in this hitel. Defintely coming back for more especially their cheese cake. A must try.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Adeline W
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

One night business stay. Swift check in and all questions answered. Room looks quite new. Spacious room. Big comfy bed. Plenty of hot water in shower. Ordered room service and was good quality and came within 20minutes. Rest of hotel not renovated to standard of rooms. Used a meeting room - it was set up well though. Refreshments and coffee were okay for meeting purposes. Breakfast is just ok - not exactly international hotel standard. Can't comment on value, location, spa as company paid and I didn't go outside!

Room Tip: Rm 1111. Near lift but not noisy. No noise from outside or functions downstairs. Rubbish city 'v...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CCZK
Sydney
Reviewed 15 August 2013

It's been seven months since I stayed here (just registered on trip advisor to post reviews) and my memory is a little foggy, but I'll share what I can remember!

I travelled with a friend of mine, both young females, and our stay was great. On arrival, we were assisted with our heavy luggage pleasantly and escorted to our room by a porter. He was funny and sweet, coming into our room to explain where everything was and the services the hotel provided. He made us feel very comfortable and welcome which was a lovely way to start our vacation. I tried to tip him and he wouldn't take it, which may have been because it was so little and he was insulted (I'm not good at exchange rates or used tipping!).

We stayed in a seaview room and the view was absolutely breathtaking! I couldn't believe my eyes. The windows are floor to ceiling (I think) and so you're just looking out on the most beautiful expanse of water and islands, it's truly lovely. The room was incredibly clean, very modern and felt fresh. The beds were very comfortable and I got great sleep which is always an important factor to me. I loved the shower too, it was one of those rain one's, and the hot water service and water pressure were great. It didn't bother us, but some people might like to know that the bathroom isn't separate - if you slide the wooden bifold kind of doors around on each side then there is a barrier, but otherwise the bathroom is a part of the whole room. Overall though, very happy with the room and no complaints.

The breakfast was delicious and I definitely recommend it. Lots of options, sweet and savoury, and all different kinds. There was one roti and sauce that we particularly liked, and so the chef made some more just for us which was very kind. The juices were so fresh and mouthwatering too. Options for kids as well as adults which could be helpful for some.

Personally I found the whole building lovely. I didn't find it outdated at all - it felt very modern. The staff were lovely and helpful when we needed to use their computer in the office room to print things out and the wifi in the rooms was great for young people like us who are constantly on our phones - it was quick too. The staff were even kind enough to let me leave my postcards with them and post them for me which was a great help, and they all arrived to the recipients promptly.

We didn't get to swim in the pool or use any of the other services, but the pool looked very nice from our room above.

Also the bakery they have on the ground floor has some delicious stuff and is very handy!

Very much an enjoyable stay in Kota Kinabalu. Thank you :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Imogen R
HRKinabalu, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Imogen R,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us from 7 months ago! We definitely appreciate the effort and we are delighted you had a good time with us here in Kota Kinabalu.

We are glad you and your travelling companion enjoyed the friendly porter services as well as the view of the South China Sea, which we never tire of ourselves.

A lot of thought went into the bathroom design, taking into consideration feedback from our previous guests so we’re very pleased that you pointed it out, along with the building design and other facilities we offer to our guests.

We believe that the roti you pointed out may be “roti canai” a local Indian Muslim savoury pancake of sorts normally served with dhall curry. You might also be interested to know that we’ve moved the bakery or delicatessen, to Mosaic, on the street level to make it easier for passers-by to access.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

Julia Chan
Public Relations Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The Hyatt Regency Kinabalu is a perfectly decent place to stay.

Location-wise, it's fantastic - in the centre of town, right on the water, with good accessibility to the markets and around the city.

The biggest upside of the hotel is the freshly refurbished interiors of the rooms. Compared to other hotels in the city centre in KK, you'll have the most modern and up to date room interiors.

However where the Hyatt Regency falls behind competitors is the breakfast, which while adequate, doesn't match some of the other buffet breakfast options in town. And the facelift that's obviously taken place in the rooms hasn't made it to the lobby which still feels a bit dated.

The free wifi is great, fast, and not offered at all hotels in Sabah.

I'd recommend this as a good, solid business hotel, but for holiday travellers you may want to look at a place with a bit more charm.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water provide the best view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business