First impression was not good - first an unimpressive hotel frontage, and then a tardy check in. We arrived around 3.30pm and had to wait a while to be served at the reception desk. The party in front of us ( and there were like 6 of them) was asking the staff to show each of them how to log in their handphones to the wifi connection! I guess he had to choice but to oblige.
When we finally get served, we were told that the rooms have not been tidied and they could not tell how long we have to wait. We overhead other guests who were also checking in then being told the same. A lady guest (from mainland China) who had apparently waited for hours then came by and was also loudly complaining why her room was still not ready.
We were told that we will be contacted on our mobiles when the rooms are ready. Ok, we did not need the rooms yet so we went off for a bite around the area . By 5.30pm we decided to get back to the hotel to see what was going on. Oops the rooms were ready but there were no calls - the person who served us earlier was not there then. Perhaps she has forgotten what she promised? And I wonder why Housekeeping was short handed that day or is it a norm?
The saving grace was the staff were courteous and the rooms generally spacious, clean and quiet. Those sharing rooms and requiring some privacy for changing may want to note that the design of the rooms are a little cumbersome for this. You will need to pull the sliding panels back and forth. And there are no hooks around for you to hang your clothes. The wash basin fitted on top of the counter is a little ackward for shorter individuals and children.
The Malaysian buffet breakfast was a decent spread with also a variety of good breads and pastries.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience five-star Sabahan hospitality at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, the premier choice for business and leisure travellers to Sabah, the Land Below the Wind. This luxury hotel in Sabah is a mere 15 minutes drive from Kota Kinabalu International Airport, offering a central location in the heart of the city close to tourist attractions and stunning views of the famed sunsets in Kota Kinabalu. Unwind in one of our 288 spacious rooms and suites all exquisitely designed with sophisticated comfort in mind plus some of the best views in Kota Kinabalu including those of the sparkling South China Sea or the Kinabalu city surroundings. Dining options at our three Kinabalu restaurants and bars are a food aficionado's delight with some of the best food the city has to offer. Be it a dip in the blue waters of the outdoor pool, a relaxing massage at the Avantang Spa and fitness centre or a party at our Shenanigan's Fun Pub, our Kota Kinabalu hotel in Sabah has it all for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Travelbag so you can book your Hyatt Regency Kinabalu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Kinabalu Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Kota Kinabalu