“Excellent location, great views, good club package”

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Hyatt has an excellent location on the sea front in the middle of town and close to the wonderful nightmarket, which probably means they set up shop in KK early. It is also steps away from a number of malls, the entrance of the somewhat older Wisma Merdeka mall is just 50 meters from the entrance of the Hyatt. Therefore parts of the facility are dated and some parts are nicely renovated. In particular the club rooms and lounge are new and very nice. Also nice is the swimming pool at the seaside, although it is separated from the sea itself by a road and boulevard. Rooms on the seaside and the lounge as well offer wonderful views of the busy South China sea and the islands in front of town. Breakfast as well as drinks and bites between 5 and 7pm in the club lounge were excellent and they allowed you also to take drinks and food from the lounge to your room which added to the value of the club package. Taxis are readily available and cheap.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hermes_NL
HRKinabalu, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Hermes_NL,

Firstly, let me thank you personally on behalf of Hyatt Regency Kinabalu for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay here at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the facilities and amenities provided to our Regency Club guests which includes glorious views of the South China Sea. Our convenient location right in the heart of KK city is also one of our biggest draws and we are glad you took advantage of this.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us on your next visit here should we be able to make your stay more memorable. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Best Regards,
Arifin Darmawan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Short stay during the business trip. The stay is truly 5 stars. Nice ambiance, great room, plushed pillow. I had the best sleep.
The hotel situated in the central where a lot of eatery places just a steps away within walking distance.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear ccsala,

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Kinabalu as your home away from home during your working trip to Kota Kinabalu!

We are very pleased to hear that we could provide you with a good night’s rest during your stay here.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us during your next visit to Kota Kinabalu should we be able to make your stay more comfortable!

Best Regards

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I will come back to KK, just for this exceptional hotel.

I stayed here for three nights after getting a good deal for it on Travelzoo. I love the Hyatt Regency Kinabalu and all other hotels have been ruined for me because of them.

The room was spotlessly clean with all the necessary and extra facilities. The bed was very comfortable and the internet service was excellent. Excellent air-conditioning.

The breakfast buffet had an enormous range of foods for all tastes.

The food and service are exceptional and even when I stayed at another hotel (a mistake on my part!) I went back to the Hyatt for a meal and the ambience.

I was very sad to leave and cannot fault this hotel at all.

Room Tip: I was on the twelfth floor facing away from the water. There was a good view of the town, the sun sh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank P B
HRKinabalu, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear P W,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay here at the Hyatt Regency Kinabalu.

Comments like yours are always a delight to read and gives us more motivation to continue to provide authentic hospitality in Kota Kinabalu.

Thank you for noting the hardwork our housekeepers put into cleaning the rooms, as well as our recently upgraded Internet facilities as well as the food and service.
While it is true that most guests value our sea view more, the city view also offers lovely views of Mount Kinabalu on a clear day and the city scape of KK. However, do explore the sea view rooms during your next visit here or upgrade to Regency Club rooms where the Regency Club lounge also offers stunning views of the South China sea.

We look forward to welcoming you back to KK in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I never experience Front office given me such nonsense excuse and asking rediculars question.
I had arrive hotel early in 7am today and front office told us no rooms available yet for us and asking us to register first with our passport and told us to come back after 12pm, which we understand and appreaciate for their pre-work. However when we back at two, they arrange two rooms in different floor, and we request if we can stay in same floor, but they said they try their best to arrange but cannot, I don't really understand even hotel will full today, still got over 100 arrival rooms as they told, but cannot arrange me in the same floor because there is other arrival guest, but we register in morning and should be in priority and did not receive such simple arrangement, the most rediculars question she ask is "did you request you in same floor in the morning?", and I'm sorry to say its a common sense that two rooms register in the same time will like to stay together. I'm really disappoint on the service here, I know hotel is quite famous here but is that the reason why they handle us in this way?

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Zitayu519

Dear Zitayu519,

First of all, we thank you for taking the time to leave feedback from your recent stay here at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu. We are sorry to hear that you did not get to stay on the same floor as your travelling companions.

We try our best to accommodate room requests whenever possible but occasionally circumstances prevent us from fulfilling every guest’s request, especially during peak periods. In your case, we did manage to find two rooms just next to each other but we understand that you rejected them due to noise disturbances. We apologise for not being able to meet your expectations during this stay. We hope that this incident does not deter you from staying with us again.

On a positive note, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the convenient hotel location and cleanliness.

Please feel free to reach out to us in advance during your next visit here so we may be able to better meet your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Kinabalu soon

Best Regards

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last month at one of the club room. Service could have been better if the staff treat the local visitors equally like they treat foreign tourist.

Breakfast was served at Regency Club Lounge. Pls dont think of 1st class treatment or king - sized breakfast, as the food selection is not much. Might as well consider to have breakfast at cafe located at the lobby. Comparing to another business hotel nearby, the staff will greet visitors, usher them to the seat and offer coffee / tea selection.

The good thing now is that this hotel provide high speed Internet access for free. Previously, guest had to pay for the Internet.

Besides, its location in the town centre is very convenient. KFC, Burger King and Suria Sabah are just a walking distance if you tend to do shopping or enjoy non-hotel food.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Nh K
HRKinabalu, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Nh K,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts and feedback on your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with our breakfast spread and service at the Regency Club lounge.

The lounge offers does offer complimentary continental breakfast, evening drinks and hor d'oeuvres along with coffee, tea and snacks all day long. However, you are right that there is more variety for breakfast at Tanjung Ria Café. Please feel free to reach out to us on your next visit here so we may be able to better meet your needs. We hope that this incident does not deter you from staying with us again.

On a positive note, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the free internet service and the convenient hotel location.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Kinabalu soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night. I could stay at higher floor and city view room. I asked about
Japanese restaurant at the reception, I got the answer that there's a Japanese restaurant in the
hotel, and also in Suria Sabah, shopping center. When I was going out, It began raining. then I borrowed an umbrella. The restaurant was Sushi Tei, the same as in Surabaya. It was nice, but
this time I didn't want to come back to the hotel in a happy frame of mind by drinking beer in the
rain, I came back and took dinner at "Nagisa" (means beach) in the hotel. In the next morning,
I visited Signal Hill Observatory and Atkinson Clock Tower. From mountain area, I came back to
the beach, and saw the statue of Blue Marine and stone made fish objet. I checked out at 12.00, noon and as I still have enough time. I walked west to Warisan Square Shopping Mall
and east to Suria Sabah. The hotel is located at the city center, it was very convenient to go everywhere in Kota Kinabaru. I left the hotel around 3.00 p.m. to the airport. I have to tell that
Mr. Enjin, assistant manager- front office is very friendly and kind, and always helped me when check in and out.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tadahiro H

Dear Tadahiro H,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu. I am very pleased to see you were happy with your stay with us, especially with your meal in Nagisa, and I am also glad you took advantage of our location to walk around the nearby attractions.

We would also like to thank you for your compliment on Ms Erlina Enjin, who we will give due recognition for her performance. We sincerely understand that our guests should be able to receive the utmost attention and comfort and at all time and with your feedback we are confident that we are on the right track.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Kinabalu in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed here with my family twice. The hotel is older but the rooms are still in good condition. The rooms have been remodeled during the last few years. The shower room was very nice with a tub and a rain shower. We also used the pool which was nice because they had padded comfortable chairs. We did not eat in the restaurant but had rooms service which was fine. I have stayed in lots of Hyatts over the years in Asia and this one was not the best but it is not as bad as other reviews suggest. I am American and and its as good as most hotels in the states if not better.

Stayed: January 2014