“Not a 5*”

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We spent a week in this hotel in December and booked a seview room on the hotel website. Got shown to a lovely room on the 10th floor but 1 night there was enough. The noise was unbearable, even on the 10th floor. The previous day we had been up at 1.45am to climb Mt Kinabalu and despite being absolutely knackered never got to sleep till about 3am.

I complained and we were moved to a 12th floor room with a city view (car park) for the rest of the stay. At least we could get to sleep there but not having that view was a shame and still a bit of traffic noise. The hotel is definitely past it's best, not the usual Hyatt standard. This really ought to be a 4* not 5.

However, it has a great location in the centre of the city and everything is on the doorstep. You could pay a bit more for the Shangri-La and Pacific Sutera and it would probably be worth it. The only drawback though is their location, requiring a taxi ride to visit town each day.

We did enjoy the breakfast, excellent buffet selection and the staff were great and very friendly. It's just a pity about the noise that emanates from bars in these asian cities. I don't know how you'd cope with kids in tow although they can probably sleep through anything.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hillviewmart
Write a ReviewReviews (1,514)

Reviewed 29 November 2008

I stayed here with my family, husband, myself and son for 11 nights recently. We moved here after staying at Langkah Syabas on the beach which was very clean, but found the prices to eat at the resort too expensive as there was nothing else around. I booked with the property directly and got a walk in rate for three of us with breakfast for $355.00 ringitts a night. The breakfast was absolutely fantastic!. We had a buffet choice of waffles, pancakes, roti, fruit, yoghurt- you name it, it was there. Guys, I will have to agree with other people-the floor where we stayed was dated. We were upgraded to a seaview room, but had to change as there were only single beds and my husband and I wanted a double bed. We were put on a smoking floor and the carpet was worn and very dirty, and the curtains had mould on the back and the net curtains were black. Looking back I should have asked to be moved, as the air con was evaporative and made a racket at night with the fan clanging away which woke me up a few times. The bathroom had mould on the grout and was cleaned every day, but I checked the cupboards and there was mould in them as well. Bear in mind the hotel was built in 1977, and in most Asian places mould is a big problem due to the humidity.
I had a bathrobe, but not slippers, and I really missed this as I hated walking on the carpet without shoes. The hotel has a gym, a spa which was nice with an attached sauna and steam room.
Used the gym and spa which was great. The noise from the street one Saturday night with guys on scooters doing wheelies! was terrible and woke my son up. Luckily the police came, but I think this would be a problem. Don`t get a room with an atrium view as the live band, (singers) make a noise and you wont get any rest. The up side to the hotel was the fantastic service and location. From the time I arrived, and very stressed we were looked after from the staff at the front desk. We were given a good rate and even got chocolates and free cornflake cookies from the hotel. This really made my stay!. It was these little things, that made up for everything else. On the last two nights I asked about the club room and was given the use of the lounge for free for the last two days. This meant I could drink as much as I wanted for 2 hours between 2-7pm with scotch-Johnnie walker black, cognac, red and white wine, vodka and bacardi. They also had free Stella and Becks beer, a cappucino machine, water, snacks such as fruit, cake, fried chicken, corn chips and salsa and canapes with smoked salmon. Had a look at the club rooms and should have stayed there as renovated and clean.
Remember alcohol is very expensive here in K.K and this was a fantastic finish to my holiday. Try over $10.00 AUD for a glass of wine, cocktails and beer is dearer than home. My son was sick with food poisioning and they were very caring in the restaurant to the fact that they allowed me to take food up to him and suggested the doctors clinic accross the road. Everyone was very friendly from the cleaners to the restaurant staff and remembered you. Tip-stay in the club rooms, excellent value and free internet. Front staff also were fantastic and helpful to car hire to finding a good satay place, but stay at the club rooms as more cleaner and renovated. Also attached to Wisma Merdaka shopping mall, so great to duck in and out for shopping.

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank natasha7
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I spent a night at the Hyatt after two nights at Novotel. Let me put the facts before you and let the readers judge:

1. I was in KK city the day before my check-in as I had travelled into town from the Novotel which is situated out of town at 1Borneo. I informed the staff at the Hyatt that I would be checking in the next day and asked them what was the earliest I could check-in. The answer was 11am and I was quite amazed. However, I was let down the following day when I arrived at 12pm and was told wait as I my room was not ready. Why make me a promise when it could not be fulfilled? Hence my wife and I went to have my welcome drink and they told me the room would be ready at 1pm and that they would call me on my mobile phone. Time ticked by and by 2pm there was still no call. I had had my drink, had my lunch and was still waiting. At 230pm I had enough and asked again for my room - after another 10 mins, they decided to give me my room.

2. When I got to my room, I realised that one of the bath robes had been used and there was only 1 set of tea cups and one set of bathroom slippers.This indicated that the room hadn't been completelty made-up and so I contacted room service and asked for the missing items. How long did it take them to respond? Actually , nobody came with the fresh bathrobe or anything else. I had to call the hotel again and it took them in total about an hour to send me the stuff. Unbelieveable! What sort of international hotel was this??

3. I read reviews that the rooms are dated but I thought - how bad could it be? Well, it was bad - the chairs were old and when you sit on them, they just felt that it needed a wash badly. The carpet was old and worn as well. I was scratching badly after a night.

4. I paid for their Awaken Package with breakfast and I had a rude awakening alright. This may seem like a small matter but there was no morning newspaper! Good grief, even the locally owned hotels in Miri, sarawak , provided the day's newspapers for free. Here at the Hyatt, nobody could care less.

5. Next, for breakfast, we asked for a non-smoking area - so they brought us to our seats. Either the staff have a hearing problem or something but they brought us to what was actually the smoking area and I had to request AGAIN for the hotel to do something.

6. Finally, when it came to paying my bill, there was no waiting - very quickly done BUT they gave me the wrong bill! Can you believe it?? I had to point out to the staff their mistake. Absolutely disappointing. How could this be Hyatt? I felt like I had to serve myself half ofthe time. It was terrible.

NB: I stayed at the Novotel and later the Promenade Hotel, both cost less than the Hyatt , had better rooms, better breakfasts, newspapers in the morning, no used bathrobes and ,yes, good service all-round.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank seasonaltraveller08
Reviewed 24 October 2008

While this hotel has most things you will need, it is poor value for money in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at in Malaysia. It is no four and certainly no five star. The rooms, while relatively spacious, are old, the bathroom is dirty - think mould stains on the grout. The carpet is worn. The internet is expensive. There was no mini bar, no toothbrush. My room smelt, I could not use the airconditioner because it made the air feel damp and smelt mouldy. There is a lot of noise from the noisy street outside. This hotel really needs a revamp. I would have no problems with it if it advertised itself for what it is - but it is far too expensive for the ambience it offers. Perhaps there are rooms that are better than mine, but I was not impressed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisa046
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Hyatt Kota Kinabalu offers a great rate! I don't think you will be able to stay at a Hyatt for less than $US100 (Ocean view!!!) anywhere else in the world!

The hotel's location is great, you can easily walk to the ferry point to catch a boat to go to the near by islands and there are plenty of restaurant/ shopping malls near by.

The room itself is spacious and comes with a balcony - completes with a spacious comfortable bed!

The only complaint I have is probably the noises from outside.
I stayed on the 9th floor and yet I can hear the music from the club/ pub near by. There are also planes flying pass around 1am which is pretty loud and you can hear the motor of the boats in the early morning.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sophdobe
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Although the hotel is very tired looking and in dire need of renovation, or at least some cosmetic work; my stay was very enjoyable, mainly due to the genuine hospitable nature of all the staff that I encountered.

The rooms are quite large but very bland and totally lacking in colour or artwork. The small balcony overlooking the ocean is a big plus.

This was not the standard that expected of a Hyatt property. The towels were very thin, the bathroom amenities limited, and very few international Tv Stations. The pool while quite large and spotlessly clean lacked any form of atmosphere.

Location was good, within walking distance to most places.

Would I stay there again ? Most probably as the pluses outnumbered the minuses.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank ramabu
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Part of Titan Hi Tours Borneo Adventure

We stayed here for a few nights and we were not disappointed, this is a lovely hotel.

Very grand in the entrance reception. The rooms are huge with nice bathrooms.

The restaurant has a good choice for breakfast.

We ate out whilst there at Little Italy (Italian Restaurant) great food! and The Cocoon Bar we had local dishes here and paid about £1.75 for a huge bowl of curry and noodles. Fab. I loved the Cocoon bar with live entertainment most nights. Beer is about same price as UK.

KK is a fab place, you do not feel threatened at all and is as safe as anywhere.

10/10