“Nice and comfortable - good base for a few days in the city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency Kinabalu

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
London
“Nice and comfortable - good base for a few days in the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

Large comfortable room with all the mod cons and good air con. We stayed twice within 2 weeks as part of our Borneo tour. On the first occassion we had a room with a view over the inside (looked out over the dining area / bar) and it was nice and quiet, very comfortable. On our return we had a room with a city view. This was noisy, but did not keep me from sleeping. Again the room was very comfortable.

Staff at the hotel are very friendly and accomodating. The breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle NSW Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

We booked and paid for this hotel in December 2008, so when we arrived at 6.45pm the night of check in we thought everything would be ready to go - we were wrong!! When we initially arrived we were told that the room we had been allocated was not available as the people who had been staying there the nights before had extended their stay, as a result we were given a welcome drink and asked to wait 20mins while they turned a twin bedded room into a king bedded room. 30 minutes later my husband went to ask if the room was ready, the man told him no and that he needed to be more patient (how rude!!!)!

Another 30 minutes passed and we spoke to another member of staff, a female who knew what she was doing. She instantly found us a room and got her colleague (the initial man) to get us the keys, when we finally got to our room we were shocked to find that it was not made up - dirty towels, unmade bed, toiletries everywhere. The female staff member then appeared at the door apologize profusely for yet another mix up!

To her credit she did send us some fruit, wine and cookies, this was very nice, but all we really wanted was a hotel room!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

Had a couple of nights here to recover from the long flight before starting a tour round Borneo. Had 2 interconnecting rooms which were a good size, with large beds, good size bathrooms and seating area. Nice view over the sea. The Pool area was small but adequate. We had one evening meal there which had plenty of choice and of a good standard. It was in an excellent location for exploring KK , the markets and the seafront. The basement Spa was also useful after a long flight, had a welcome massage!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

We stayed for one night and we were very satiesfied with the stay. Nice and Clean rooms, Good Pool area...

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — The View (not ocean view) and not furniture on balcon
  • Stayed February 2009
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

I agree with some of the reviewers who say this Hotel is in need of an upgrade for its class, however it is the genuine warm and friendly staff that more than make up for this.
When I arrived at the hotel I was not feeling very well.
Amy at reception not only showed me to the Doctors but later phoned me in my room to enquire if I was feeling better.
I found all the staff at this hotel very professional warm and genuinely intrested in their guests and they go out of their way to make you feel special with great service.
The Hotel, while a little dated is spotlessly clean throughout with good quality food in its restaurants.

The location cannot be beaten.

• Liked — Wonderful staff and service
  • Disliked — Hotel is a little dated
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank phillipnz
Sunderland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2009

We spent a week in this hotel in December and booked a seview room on the hotel website. Got shown to a lovely room on the 10th floor but 1 night there was enough. The noise was unbearable, even on the 10th floor. The previous day we had been up at 1.45am to climb Mt Kinabalu and despite being absolutely knackered never got to sleep till about 3am.

I complained and we were moved to a 12th floor room with a city view (car park) for the rest of the stay. At least we could get to sleep there but not having that view was a shame and still a bit of traffic noise. The hotel is definitely past it's best, not the usual Hyatt standard. This really ought to be a 4* not 5.

However, it has a great location in the centre of the city and everything is on the doorstep. You could pay a bit more for the Shangri-La and Pacific Sutera and it would probably be worth it. The only drawback though is their location, requiring a taxi ride to visit town each day.

We did enjoy the breakfast, excellent buffet selection and the staff were great and very friendly. It's just a pity about the noise that emanates from bars in these asian cities. I don't know how you'd cope with kids in tow although they can probably sleep through anything.

• Liked — breakfast + cocktails
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hillviewmart
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2008

I stayed here with my family, husband, myself and son for 11 nights recently. We moved here after staying at Langkah Syabas on the beach which was very clean, but found the prices to eat at the resort too expensive as there was nothing else around. I booked with the property directly and got a walk in rate for three of us with breakfast for $355.00 ringitts a night. The breakfast was absolutely fantastic!. We had a buffet choice of waffles, pancakes, roti, fruit, yoghurt- you name it, it was there. Guys, I will have to agree with other people-the floor where we stayed was dated. We were upgraded to a seaview room, but had to change as there were only single beds and my husband and I wanted a double bed. We were put on a smoking floor and the carpet was worn and very dirty, and the curtains had mould on the back and the net curtains were black. Looking back I should have asked to be moved, as the air con was evaporative and made a racket at night with the fan clanging away which woke me up a few times. The bathroom had mould on the grout and was cleaned every day, but I checked the cupboards and there was mould in them as well. Bear in mind the hotel was built in 1977, and in most Asian places mould is a big problem due to the humidity.
I had a bathrobe, but not slippers, and I really missed this as I hated walking on the carpet without shoes. The hotel has a gym, a spa which was nice with an attached sauna and steam room.
Used the gym and spa which was great. The noise from the street one Saturday night with guys on scooters doing wheelies! was terrible and woke my son up. Luckily the police came, but I think this would be a problem. Don`t get a room with an atrium view as the live band, (singers) make a noise and you wont get any rest. The up side to the hotel was the fantastic service and location. From the time I arrived, and very stressed we were looked after from the staff at the front desk. We were given a good rate and even got chocolates and free cornflake cookies from the hotel. This really made my stay!. It was these little things, that made up for everything else. On the last two nights I asked about the club room and was given the use of the lounge for free for the last two days. This meant I could drink as much as I wanted for 2 hours between 2-7pm with scotch-Johnnie walker black, cognac, red and white wine, vodka and bacardi. They also had free Stella and Becks beer, a cappucino machine, water, snacks such as fruit, cake, fried chicken, corn chips and salsa and canapes with smoked salmon. Had a look at the club rooms and should have stayed there as renovated and clean.
Remember alcohol is very expensive here in K.K and this was a fantastic finish to my holiday. Try over $10.00 AUD for a glass of wine, cocktails and beer is dearer than home. My son was sick with food poisioning and they were very caring in the restaurant to the fact that they allowed me to take food up to him and suggested the doctors clinic accross the road. Everyone was very friendly from the cleaners to the restaurant staff and remembered you. Tip-stay in the club rooms, excellent value and free internet. Front staff also were fantastic and helpful to car hire to finding a good satay place, but stay at the club rooms as more cleaner and renovated. Also attached to Wisma Merdaka shopping mall, so great to duck in and out for shopping.

• Liked — The sevice from the staff
  • Disliked — Dirty room full of mould, I should have moved.
  • Stayed November 2008