This is a very tired and substandard Hyatt. I just needed one night in Kota Kinabalu before heading off to a different location for the rest of our vacation. Not knowing one hotel from another, I went with the name brand, assuming that offered predictable quality.
On the good side, the food was good (though not great) and reasonably priced. We had lunch in the Chinese restaurant in the lobby and then a buffet dinner also in the lobby. The location is also convenient to shopping, restaurants, and to the city center and pier.
Ironically, the location was also a negative. There was a foul odor coming from somewhere near the hotel, perhaps the pier. Traffic in the area was also occasionally loud. The worst part of the experience was the room. The carpets were dirty and worn, covered with patches in some spots. The beds were okay. While it seemed clean, it also had a musty and moldy smell. Hotels in the tropics are prone to mold, but I thought the Hyatt would suffer less from this problem. The service was friendly and efficient so few complaints there.
The swimming pool was fine but its location was terrible. Residents from the dilapidated apartment across the street looked right into the pool area so privacy was a problem. The pool was also set across from the street and the pier so noise and odors were abundant.
Had this been a local or no name value hotel, I would have been more pleased with the experience, but I paid a premium for the Hyatt brand but didn't get the value. The Hyatt either needs to step up its game here or sell this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience five-star Sabahan hospitality at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, the premier choice for business and leisure travellers to Sabah, the Land Below the Wind. This luxury hotel in Sabah is a mere 15 minutes drive from Kota Kinabalu International Airport, offering a central location in the heart of the city close to tourist attractions and stunning views of the famed sunsets in Kota Kinabalu. Unwind in one of our 288 spacious rooms and suites all exquisitely designed with sophisticated comfort in mind plus some of the best views in Kota Kinabalu including those of the sparkling South China Sea or the Kinabalu city surroundings. Dining options at our three Kinabalu restaurants and bars are a food aficionado's delight with some of the best food the city has to offer. Be it a dip in the blue waters of the outdoor pool, a relaxing massage at the Avantang Spa and fitness centre or a party at our Shenanigan's Fun Pub, our Kota Kinabalu hotel in Sabah has it all for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hyatt Regency Kinabalu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Kinabalu Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Kota Kinabalu