We just expected more from a Hyatt Regency hotel.
When we arrived neither of our two rooms had been cleaned properly, including dirty towels dumped on the floor in one of the wardrobes. We had 2 newly refurbished rooms, and they are large and fitted out very well, but dirty and dusty surfaces, partially hoovered floors, dirty towels and uncleaned washbasins don't exactly endear you to a room. On the plus side when we pointed this out, the response was quick, and after that the rooms were kept clean. Another cleanliness indicator though was the length of time things such as crockery and glasses from room service were left in the corridors. The record was a tray with a plate and glasses which sat there for almost 48 hours. Given the number of rats we saw at night in the streets of KK, probably not the best idea.
2 days before we arrived we received an email informing us that the swimming pool would be out of action until the end of January. Shame nobody had mentioned that before! They told us an arrangement had been made with Le Meridien to use theirs and that transport was available. So one day we decided to make use of this, and when wanting to come back, were left waiting like lemons for 40 mins before being told to "jump in a taxi". This was all apparently due to a miscommunication amongst the staff. More like rubbing salt into the wound. Service at breakfast was hit and miss, one time I asked for more butter and tea 3 times before giving it up as a lost cause, and that wasn't the only time or porblem.
The hotel's smoking policy is another issue, in that the main area where you have breakfast, and where the NYE buffet and band were, was all a smoking area (even though there's a very misleading "No Smoking" sign stuck up high on one wall). Us non-smokers have to go to a low-ceilinged, freezing back room. I'm sorry but in this day and age in a US hotel chain, that smokers who inflict their habit on others get superior treatment than non smokers who don't, is intolerable.
The whole set up just lacked a huge dose of common sense.
In addition when we pointed this out, we were treated rudely and very unprofessionally by the "Director of Food & Beverages"
During our stay we were given a free night, a bottle of wine, and we ended up not paying for the NYE buffet, which was all very good of them, but we weren't looking for discounts and refunds, just a nice relaxing stay. Unfortunately there were just too many issues stressing us out for me to be able to write a good report.
We stayed in 3 hotels on our trip and the only problems we had were here. Wouldn't stay again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
By the way, regarding the 5 islands of the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, two including the largest Gaya, are now considered off limits to day trip tourists, as they are too dangerous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience five-star Sabahan hospitality at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, the premier choice for business and leisure travellers to Sabah, the Land Below the Wind. This luxury hotel in Sabah is a mere 15 minutes drive from Kota Kinabalu International Airport, offering a central location in the heart of the city close to tourist attractions and stunning views of the famed sunsets in Kota Kinabalu. Unwind in one of our 288 spacious rooms and suites all exquisitely designed with sophisticated comfort in mind plus some of the best views in Kota Kinabalu including those of the sparkling South China Sea or the Kinabalu city surroundings. Dining options at our three Kinabalu restaurants and bars are a food aficionado's delight with some of the best food the city has to offer. Be it a dip in the blue waters of the outdoor pool, a relaxing massage at the Avantang Spa and fitness centre or a party at our Shenanigan's Fun Pub, our Kota Kinabalu hotel in Sabah has it all for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Odigeo, TravelUp, Travelbag, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hyatt Regency Kinabalu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Kinabalu Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu
- Hyatt Kota Kinabalu