“Must be better options” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Acton, Massachusetts
“Must be better options”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

stayed here as part of a group tour so had no option. There is a chart in the bathroom listing the price of every moveable object in the room and the price you will be charged if taken. This symptomizes the hotel. The staff are very helpful but the hotel is tired and has seen better days. In the bar the stuffing is coming out of the chairs. Despite other reviews we found no smoke smells anywhere in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I booked a double deluxe room. I was rather anxious beforehand as I read reviews saying that there was a smoke smell even in the non-smoking rooms. However, to my relief, my worry was unfounded and I found the room very comfortable. Although I could tell that the furniture and the room was rather dated, I did not find that a turn off because at least the furniture in the room was placed in such a way that everything could be utilised (unlike some hotels that have a modern but impractical arrangement).

I do not usually like carpeted hotel floors as I am usually paranoid about carpets' cleanliness. However, I was surprisingly fine with these carpeted floors, and it was a respite from the strong air-conditioning in the room.

Promenade Hotel is one of those hotels that I would like to just sit in and watch television all day. There was one very entertaining travel and food channel that I could watch all day (TLC). The bed was very comfortable, with my only complaint that the pillows were way too soft (but they were ok if you stacked them).

The toilet was clean and large; though we noted that you have to hold the flush for a pretty long time before all the contents get flushed out.

The location was pretty awesome because it was just along the coast, and we could catch sunset from just downstairs. Although our room had a sunset view, it was not a direct view. However, you can request for a direct sunset view upon checkin. The problem is that you would only know whether you can get a king-sized bed/sunset view when you get there. It is not possible to request beforehand.

I loved the breakfast buffet because it was a large spread, and the chefs actually bothered to change the menu day to day. Although the quality of the food is not the best, I just enjoyed the very fact that there was a large variety. I would say that the service in the hotel restaurant was the best in the hotel, they went out of their way to help us (as compared to that of other parts of the hotel, where it was lukewarm). For example, there was one night that I had an indigestion from eating food outside of the hotel and really needed a lemon for that. We went to the hotel restaurant to try to buy a lemon. The kind waiter went to the kitchen and got us a whole lemon and said that it was free of charge. It must have been quite some trouble for him. I was really touched by that.

There were sparks of great service on other occasions in other parts of the hotel; and I felt that it covered up for the lukewarmness on others.

One tip is to try to book day tours (such as white-water rafting, island hopping) directly from the companies rather than through the hotel agency. We paid RM170 for a white-water rafting trip, but we found out from our guide that it only costs RM100 if we contacted them directly. (I was pretty sure we were getting ripped off because the last time we came to KK we spent RM98, but I guess we paid for the convenience as the counter was just at the lobby)

Room Tip: Request for a room that is facing the sea directly. My room was not and the hotel's neon sign bo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
johor,malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Promenade hotel kk is a best hotel in the city. The hotel near anjung(for dinner), pasar filipine,kg air, and many place at town kk.The hotel room is not to big, but ok with the facilities. for breakfast is so varieties of food.When you plan for going to kk, better you rent a car, very easy for you to move to another place like ranau or kudat.

Room Tip: Higher floors have anice view south china sea
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gerbang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

the only good thing abt the hotel is the newly refurbished restaurant. good buffet spreads. however do NOT take the taxi as they will totally rip you off! learnt my lesson the hard way - worse was that i had to take yet another taxi ride back to the hotel :-(

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Adelina I
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Among all the hotels in KOTA KINABALU, I will say cafe Promenade in Promenade Hotel offer varieties of food in terms of Buffet and Ala cartes. Many people coming here to dine because it is value for money and a lot of choices of food and menu. You need to book in advance in order to get a table. Maybe because i came here a lot often, i know the standard. Everytime i came here to dine, i will rate their Food & Service and also give them suggestion. Customer service never disappoints me at all. Located exactly in front of the WATERFRONT K.Kinabalu. Very beautiful sea views. Very closed to shopping are & dining area within walking distance. I always recommend my Friends To Stay Here Whenever They Come To Kota Kinabalu.

Room Tip: "Choose the higher floor facing the sea because it more beautiful and nice scenery plus the pri...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frank8789
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Please avoid Promenade Hotel Kota Kinabalu by any chance. Based on my personal experience during my stay at this hotel, they have poor service and dishonest staffs. I lost my belongings in my hotel room and I was 200% certain my belongings were there. After contacting the hotel multiple times, they insist they did not find my belongings in my hotel room and refused to give me a proper explanation. I'm horrified with their irresponsible and dishonest staffs.

Do not trust their website's room photos because the actual room was old and dirty. The furniture has started to have discoloration and they are still using those old box TV. Receptionists were unhelpful and impolite. My friend even had diarrhea after having dinner buffet at their cafe.

Maybe they USED TO BE a reputable hotel long time ago but from my personal experience, this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I am extremely disappointed with this so-called 4-star hotel and I do not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel if you have a choice.
I would rather pay more for a better quality hotel than having my holiday ruined.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Melanie765

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Basically, this is a good hotel. Basically clean and nice, comfy beds. I just have problem because there isn't a hose near to the toilet bowl, which would be a great convenience to Muslim travellers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business