My family stayed at a room in Magellan Sutera's harbour wing for four nights, I was attending a conference held there and we decided to make a holiday out of it. While the hotel facilities were pretty good, I must say we were disappointed with the service. The quality of service is VERY inconsistent, depending on who you get. I noticed upon check-in that there were people getting welcome drinks and wet towels for refreshment; we did not. I was dismayed upon check-in to find that although we had repeatedly requested via email for a non-smoking room, a double or king size bed (instead of two single beds) and a baby cot in the room, only the double-bed part had gone through. We were told that all non-smoking rooms were on the ground floor, which I thought was pretty pathetic--only the smokers get the good views? We smelled smoke coming out of the fan/vent in the bathroom anyway so it was pretty useless.
The breakfast buffet is good, with great many choices. Again the service varied greatly. Certain waiters greeted us with a smile, others hardly acknowledged us. We ate the the Al Fresco restaurant two nights, the first night we did not get any bread, the second night we did. At one of the restaurants by the marina, half the food we'd ordered was not available. The cakes at the Muffinz cafe were hard and not at all moist (probably been sitting at the display window too long). The food at the resort is OK but since the hotel provides a decently priced shuttle bus service to downtown KK I wish I'd eaten in KK downtown more often!
They rooms are not cleaned everyday, and when they do, it's not well done--we noticed lots of dust on the bathroom shelves and the shelves around the bed, and a small piece of garbage we'd noticed upon entering the room (and left there on purpose) remained in the room for the duration of our stay. One day we were out all morning until 2pm, and when we got back to the hotel to find that the room had not been cleaned, I called housekeeping, who told me that I had to call them to request for the room to be cleaned--they don't clean it everyday, apparently! The plastic slippers they provide is pretty pathetic, too. Cheap.
Finally, I would advise everyone to check your invoice very carefully and to keep all receipts from the food eaten in restaurants and charged to your room. We found that we were overcharged for a beer, and when we showed all the receipts and told them this, the woman at the front office spent 10 mins talking on the phone with someone--and then subtracted the amount from our bill, but she made me feel like I was the one at fault. Did not even apologize. What an unpleasant experience.
We stayed at Shangri-la Rasa Ria resort after Magellan and I really wish the conference had been held there instead--nicer resort with MUCH better service, worth every extra penny paid!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Agoda, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
- Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
- Sutera Harbour Hotel
- Sutera Harbour Kota Kinabalu
- Magellan Sutera