“Service desperately in need of improvement.”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Service desperately in need of improvement.”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My family stayed at a room in Magellan Sutera's harbour wing for four nights, I was attending a conference held there and we decided to make a holiday out of it. While the hotel facilities were pretty good, I must say we were disappointed with the service. The quality of service is VERY inconsistent, depending on who you get. I noticed upon check-in that there were people getting welcome drinks and wet towels for refreshment; we did not. I was dismayed upon check-in to find that although we had repeatedly requested via email for a non-smoking room, a double or king size bed (instead of two single beds) and a baby cot in the room, only the double-bed part had gone through. We were told that all non-smoking rooms were on the ground floor, which I thought was pretty pathetic--only the smokers get the good views? We smelled smoke coming out of the fan/vent in the bathroom anyway so it was pretty useless.

The breakfast buffet is good, with great many choices. Again the service varied greatly. Certain waiters greeted us with a smile, others hardly acknowledged us. We ate the the Al Fresco restaurant two nights, the first night we did not get any bread, the second night we did. At one of the restaurants by the marina, half the food we'd ordered was not available. The cakes at the Muffinz cafe were hard and not at all moist (probably been sitting at the display window too long). The food at the resort is OK but since the hotel provides a decently priced shuttle bus service to downtown KK I wish I'd eaten in KK downtown more often!

They rooms are not cleaned everyday, and when they do, it's not well done--we noticed lots of dust on the bathroom shelves and the shelves around the bed, and a small piece of garbage we'd noticed upon entering the room (and left there on purpose) remained in the room for the duration of our stay. One day we were out all morning until 2pm, and when we got back to the hotel to find that the room had not been cleaned, I called housekeeping, who told me that I had to call them to request for the room to be cleaned--they don't clean it everyday, apparently! The plastic slippers they provide is pretty pathetic, too. Cheap.

Finally, I would advise everyone to check your invoice very carefully and to keep all receipts from the food eaten in restaurants and charged to your room. We found that we were overcharged for a beer, and when we showed all the receipts and told them this, the woman at the front office spent 10 mins talking on the phone with someone--and then subtracted the amount from our bill, but she made me feel like I was the one at fault. Did not even apologize. What an unpleasant experience.

We stayed at Shangri-la Rasa Ria resort after Magellan and I really wish the conference had been held there instead--nicer resort with MUCH better service, worth every extra penny paid!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the ocean view rooms but don't ask for a non-smoking room!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
SuteraHarbour, General Manager at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear BlancaParis

Thank you very much for the very constructive comments that you have given us on your recent visit to Magellan Sutera Resort. I must most sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and how we had in so many occasions failed to meet or exceed your expectations. It is only through such constructive feedback are we able to see our weaknesses and improve from there. Therefore on a personal note I appreciate what you have shared with me, and it allows our organization to put strong corrective actions in it’s place. I will not make any excuses for our shortcomings and take full accountability. The issues raised are very concerning and we have addressed all your concerns with the individuals involved. Our objective is to deliver service with passion and always keeping the needs of our customers as the focal point of our business, and we will continue to strive to achieve this objective.
I hope that you will allow us to redeem ourselves and give us another opportunity to excel , I look to being of assitance to you and welcome you and your family back to Magellan Sutera Resort.

Yours sincerely
Ravindran Kathiravelu | General Manager | THE MAGELLAN SUTERA RESORT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The hotel was neat and tidy and the staff very good. The Golf Course view room was a good size for us. From the moment of check-in to departure, all staff were helpful and attentive. We had pre-booked an excursion over the internet, not using the hotel service, and when the pick up did not happen, the concierge desk went out of their way to track down the operator. We ended up catching up with the tour thanks to the persistance of the concierge staff. Everything else went off like clock work. We were able to enjoy some quality family time with out the hustle and bustle of a packed itinerary, but still went out for at least one excusion per day.

Room Tip: The hotel prices were very competitve - no real need to book outside the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Zimdundee
SuteraHarbour, Public Relations Manager at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Dear Zimdundee

Thank you so much for the positive feedback on the service accorded during your stay here with us. We are happy to learn that our team contributed in making your holiday here a memorable one; and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back here again in the very near future.

Warmest regards
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Loved it here, the staff couldn't do enough for us. Sure the rooms were a little scuffed in areas but the bathroom was massive, the hotel amazing as were the grounds, pool and location.
There was little to fault at all. It's just a few kms from Kota Kinabalu yet felt a million miles away. We didn't catch the shuttle bus, for A$4, a taxi into town was pretty cheap.
The breakfast was incredible, there was so much variety in beautiful surrounds, with many staff ensuring we had everything we wanted or needed.
Stay here again - in a heartbeat. Loved it!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up (for sea view)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Maplejb

Great to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here and that everything was up to your expectation. We hope you will make it a point to visit Sabah, 'The Land Below The Wind' soon and accord us yet another opportunity to 'wow' you.

Have a nice week ahead.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2011

This is not the newest resort around but it is immaculately kept. The numerous pools are fantastic including water slides for the kids.There is so much too do,bowling alley,badmington,water sports,pool games,golf,tennis, Its massive and takes a bit of navigating to get around.Situated on a boating harbour its quite spectacular! We were in a club suite which was also massive.Equal to a small 2 bedroom house.The furniture is a bit old and awkward but who cares when there is so much space.Our kids even had there own beds in a separate room.Breakfast at the lounge was simply superb and made to order. Only 10 mins to the airport or the town.The town is also great for shopping and according to my wife better than Kuala Lumpur.This is not the best or flashiest resort out there but at the right price you would not find much better.Great value.We all had a lovely relaxing time,in fact we loved Kota Kinabalu in general and will be returning to this resort next year and will give Bali a miss from now on!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club level.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Our_USA_trip
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2011

If you were to invest your yearly savings in a memorable south-east asian trip, this would not be the place to put your money into. But if you live in Singapore or KL and try to escape the city for a long week-end, it is a great place to stay at. Our family stayed at the Pacific Sutera, which I would recommend over the Magellan, if your kids are below the age of 6. It is a peaceful resort less than 20 minutes from their airport, that we found to be excellent value for money (call them to get the best rates) at a sub US$150/night B&B double room rate. The pool in particular is amazing and the views from the top rooms (ask for a sea view room) are very good indeed for the price. Again, nothing fancy, and you could argue the hotel is a bit dated, but at that price we found it to be a nice escape.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Frankieandcharl
Dear Frankieandcharl

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for your feedback. Indeed, it is good to know that The Pacific Sutera Hotel offers value for money accommodation and services; and we are pleased to advise that we are currently refurbishing the rooms at The Pacific Sutera Hotel and todate we have completed 100 rooms out of our 500 room count.

We are glad that you and your family enjoyed the facilities here too which in fact is quite extensive from the 5 swimming pools including an Olympic sized pool located throughout the entire resort, water sport facilities, bowling, tennis, badminton, table tennis, fitness centre, Kiddies Club and lots more.

In fact, may we recommend that on your next trip to Kota Kinabalu, do check out the North Borneo Railway which have already commenced operation. The North Borneo Railway offers passengers the opportunity to relive the good old days of the bygone era onboard a steam locomotive, one of the few that is still functioning around the world.

Best regards
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My girlfriend and I planned a stay of four days in this hotel. We chose this hotel instead of the Shangri-la.

When you first arrive at this hotel, you notice how large and open plan this hotel is. Very nice. The resort surrounds the harbour and it is in a good spot on the edge of town. The hotel provides regular transport to and from Kota Kinabalu central.

These above positives disguise the real underlying issues that this hotel encounters. Lazy service culture, inconsistencies in service level and all rooms, amenities and an overall feeling of staff trained to take "short cuts" instead of providing service that a customer who pays $200 a night deserves.

The issues started as soon as we arrived. We were quite rushed through the check in process. The staff didn't provide us with any kind of introduction, and believe me this resort is very big and you need to know roughly about the resort. Not telling people where the breakfast room is located, that's quite disappointing.

We were told that we were to have a twin bedroom, not a double room as I had requested/booked. I had specifically chosen the double bed online. The member of staff told me that one was not available UNTIL 4PM and that we would have to wait in the twin room. At this point we were so tired that we decided to drop our luggage there in the twin room. The twin room was dirty and old, the carpets need replacing and the television looks like something from the 70's. Really didn't fancy staying there at all.

At 4pm, we were able to move to the double room we were paid for - and the room had the same rubbish furniture as the twin room, 70's television, bathroom falling apart. The carpets are filthy.

We had enjoyed great service in Malaysia before, so we were willing to forgive the poor quality room - after all you don't spend that long in there in KK - and got on with our trip.

That's when we realized it's not just the rooms, it's the amenities too. The hotel advertises wireless internet. We were unable to pick up a signal from our end of the hotel. How is it fair that other rooms are able to access the "free internet" advertised and we weren't?

We asked for some help with maps and questions at the reception. Greeted by a chap named Colin. He was very rude to my girlfriend when she asked some questions and really didn't want to be at work at all.

Later on in the day I became frustrated and asked for an introduction, a lady was quite condescending to me when I asked for the intro. However, at least she was able to offer one. I was quite surprised when she asked: "What's your room number?" Then she said: "Oh! Lovely room!"

I imagine that is the canned answer for everyone, there are over 2000 rooms in this hotel and we were not happy with our room at all as mentioned above.

The reception staff all have this overworked, tired attitude to service. Even the guy who checked us in to our second room delivered our luggage for us!?

The next morning at 5am, the noise of motorbikes and screaming outside. Then at 745am, maids yelling and joking outside. Were we just in a poor spot or was everything else in the hotel this bad as well?

At breakfast, we arrived at about 10. I think 10:30 is when the breakfast finishes. Amazingly, at 10:25 on the dot a member of staff came up to my table and said: "Hi Sir, we are closing in 5 minutes, would you please go and get some more food?"

At exactly 10:30, everyone is frantically packing everything away. Desperate to finish up for the day.

Then the ultimate in 5 star service let down! On the last day as we were packing everything away, I was checking the bed for anymore leftover belongings. Amazingly, on my bed sheet, 8 INCHES OF STITCHES! Instead of throw a bedsheet out with holes in, they have decided to stitch up the sheet! See picture attached.

At the end of the trip, I decided to confront a member of staff about all of the above. She was very polite and she apologized, asking for my business card. She said she would speak to her manager who would personally email me and apologize. Two months on.... WHERE is my email apology????

Absolute letdown! VERY disappointing!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank majicka
Dear Majicka

First of all my sincere and profound apologies if we seems to be non-responsive to your constructive comments. There is no room for excuses here nor am I trying to make one. And rest assured, we will revert by tomorrow latest and ultimately with a satisfactory answers for you.

Best regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My family stayed here in room 309 on 14 June 2011, we booked with Theodora Edward (hotel's staff whom was very polite and fast in replies) through emails, we paid RM487 per night. The check-in and check-out was fast and the reception staff was very nice and friendly.

The room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was spacious which i like with complimentary soaps & shampoo but remember to bring your own toothbrush and toothpaste!

The location is about 10mins taxi ride from the airport which cost us RM30 per way. The hotel also provided shuttle service to the city hourly, think it cost RM3 per adult and kid RM1.50 (not too sure because our family member paid for it.) return and it was less than 10mins ride to Centre Point.

The pool was great, in fact we could use the pools & facilities at the Magellan and the Marina Club too. We loved the view and the whole resort was so clean!

We dined at the Al Fresco Magellan, though the food was expensive but it was very delicious! The complimentary breakfast was good with quite a wide spread!

Overall, we would like to stay here again if we were to visit Kota Kinabalu.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
SuteraHarbour, Public Relations Manager at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Dear sc_myinitial

Thank you so much for staying with us during your recent holiday trip with your family. It is good to hear from 'happy campers' such as yourself and to learn that our team member, Theodora has performed outstandingly in assisting you with your queries. We have already conveyed your commendations to Theodora.

However, with regards to the room amenities, we do supply our guests with toothpaste and toothbrush; and this could be a case of an oversight from our Housekeeping team. For this, we do apologise.

Once again, thank you for your feedback which is most appreciative and certainly, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Sutera Harbour Resort on your next holiday trip to Kota Kinabalu.

Warmest regards
Hotel Eden54
Hotel Eden54
#2 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,162 reviews

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Property: Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#7 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Agoda, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Hotel