“Wonderful, so sorry to leave.”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed for 8 nights at the Magellan. As soon as you enter the huge Lobby, you cannot fail to be impressed. From the chaps at the concierge desk to the main reception, the staff were lovely, friendly & very helpful. We stayed on a B&B basis and I have to say the breakfast was amazing, with virtually anything you can think of to eat, all freshly cooked & again all the cooks & waiting staff were so smiley & kind. Take a trip to the islands for the snorkelling but even the little hotel beach has a great many fish swimming around your feet! The only 2 down sides to the stay was the price of the drinks in the hotel, alcohol was very, very expensive, also the room we stayed in did have a musty smell, having said that it was very clean with a huge bathroom and great air con. My advice would be, do all the trips offered, stay at the Magellan & enjoy a wonderful stay in Borneo!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank SUSSEXBB
Write a ReviewReviews (2,946)

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Having read recent reviews I did wonder what to expect people seem to love it or hate it !!
Anyway I liked it .Staff were excellent. I stayed in the pacific club which is worth the extra,The rooms are large and spacious with a great view of the sea.Food is up to 5* so just go and enjoy.

Room Tip: Go for pacific club on the top floor ( 12th )
1  Thank schalcs
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Went to stay at the Magellan Sutera In October 2011 for 4 nights. We booked a club room which has its own checking in area and the price included breakfast and high tea. The check in was some how slow. The room was spacious but looks quite old. The bed was very uncomfortable though. We woke up with severe back pain every morning because the mattress was too hard for our standard. The high tea was a treat with lots of selection of food and drinks. We ate at the Fernando, Italian restaurant and it was very disappointing. Although we are the only customers there, the waitress/waiter could not remember our order and had to come back various times to ask. The food was very bad considering the price it charged. I suggest to avoid at all costs. Overall, it was a pleasant stay considering the price we paid but I still prefer the Shangri-la.

Room Tip: The club room has no balcony so if you would like a balcony you have to specify that. If you are to...
1  Thank evon47
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Pleasant spot, 3 hotels,we stayed in pacific, bit tired around edges,crumbling bathroom. I booked initially for 3 days as chill out spot cos of lord club.am single mum so creating some quiet time for me on hols also important. Kids club ok for sml kids but "lame" to quote 10 yr old son. Activities extra. Gd points about resort - 3 pools. Bad points, not many activities to do, everything costs extra incl beach balls at pool. Mandara spa great. Not too far to town do you can get away to do stuff which is gd as my kids got rapidly bored as did I. Also no kids tv channels, limited movie channels , no dvd players in rooms so entertaining kids in evening got a little difficult. Marina is kind of neat, spectacular sea life around boardwalk easily visible, kids loved crab spotting and watching all the fish. Plenty of island and diving tours for those who like. My kids too young and me lousy swimmer so not my cup of tea. Plenty of friendly staff but service in restaurants tended to slow and staff English often limited so be slow and careful when ordering. In retrospect wish I'd sprung for more and gone to shangrila or nexus. Stayed at le meridien after 3 days at pacific.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed in the Magellan and found the outside facilities very good with the grounds very neat. The staff as mentioned by many others are the backbone of the hotel. The letdown are the rooms themselves, I base this upon the three rooms we were using. All are very tired with old frayed carpeting, window fittings broken, ancient bathroom plumbing etc, just very old fashioned decor and overused rooms. The bathrooms are large but offer no 21st century facilities. It's all circa 1990. Also stuck in the 1990's is the in room entertainment. The TV's are old CRT models with rubbish clarity and the channel selection is really bad. Suggest the hotel management jump into the 21st century to see what's on offer from other resorts nearby.

1  Thank KJB888
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed at the Magellan on a holiday that coincided with my husband's 50th birthday. The hotel is very nice and the staff were very eager to please and went out of their way to make our stay very pleasant. An inconvenience was the distance from our room to the Magellan Club lounge, the fitness centre and the lap pool . I would've appreciated if we were asked about our preference as the return trek from room to pool/fitness centre was half a kilometre. In fact on one day I forgot to take my goggles and the attendant offered to rent me one for the princely sum of RM10++. I opted for the jacuzzi instead. I was advised to take the hotel shuttle but it was not environmentally friendly to add to emissions.
It is also advisable to get a locker to store all belongings as my daughter's footwear was stolen while we were in the pool. It reflected very poorly on the club's clientele.
There is no restriction on smoking in Malaysia and guests smoked indiscriminately around the pool area even when there are very young children around. The pool area in the Marina Club is littered with cigarette butts. The attendants stand around and chat all day but are not very forthcoming in rendering any service. I guess it's just a club so one cannot expect hotel service standards.
The tourism industry in Sabah is like the mafia. I was totally turned off with all the syndicates and we avoided most packages. With many destinations there is no option but to use the packages which are not very good value for money in my opinion but there is no choice.
All things considered we enjoyed our holiday. We did not eat in the hotel at all and availed of complimentary drinks at the Magellan Club lounge. Thank you Janet, Shah, Ayesha, Azahari and Irene.

Room Tip: Guests in the garden view wing complained of aircraft noise. We had a room in the harbour wing which...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank desi17
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed at The Pacific Sutera after climbing Mount Kinabalau. This resort is fantastic. From the lobby and beautiful rooms to the outdoor facilities. This resort is perfect for families, couples and business trips.

Location: The shuttle bus was an excellent method of getting to KK. About 10-15 min ride to city center.

Beds: Firm, but nice. Soft pillows

Food: Excellent breakfast and several excellent dining alternatives at the resort.

Tips: Visit the Kinabalu Park, if possible climb Mount Kinabalu. We visited Brunei for sightseeing combined with a lovely pique nique at Muara beach.

Swimming: We took advantage of the marina swimming pool and the ocean. White sandy (small but clean) beach next to the pool.

I would recommend this hotel, we had a relaxed and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor with ocean view. We had fantastic view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randi N
SuteraHarbour, General Manager at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Dear Randi N,

Thank you for your kind comments on our facilities and services. We are glad that you had such a pleasant stay. Also thank you for your recommendations and tips for the reviewers. We hope they might find it helpful in order to plan their trip. We look forward to welcome you again to the resort.

Thank you.