“A very pleasant stay and a good base for KK”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights to relax after trekking in eastern Sabah. I find it hard to get excited by this type of hotel / resort but i could not fault this one in anyway (except how dark the bar area was, the staff need miners helmets to work) The room was top notch, balcony faced west over the sea and in line with the sunset, staff were very attentive and the food selection at breakfast exceptional. An hourly shuttle bus in to town makes eating out or shopping nice and easy. facilities within the resort are good, a cinema, a bowling alley and countless bars, restaurants and cafes make for an interesting time. This resort also runs the North Borneo Railway. This runs twice a week and is an excellent trip down the coast.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Northantstoanywhere
MSBobby, Public Relations Manager at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Guest,

It was a real pleasure to have you and your friends stay with us and we greatly appreciate the nice compliments on our facilities and services. We are glad you had a wonderful and relaxing holiday in Sutera Harbour Resort.

We definitely would like to see you and your friends again. Thank you for posting your review on us in Trip Advisor and may you always keep many happy memories of your trip to Kota Kinabalu.

Sutera Harbour Resort

There are newer reviews for Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Reviewed 22 May 2012

There's nothing not to like about Sutera - but nothing to be wow'ed either. For business purposes, the function rooms and the sheer number of rooms works out well.

What I was surprised is how this 4-5 star hotel can still not have wifi-enabled hotel rooms. Internet is complimentary but wifi modem are for rent at a nominal charge. I see a lot of guests milling around the lobby area and cafe in order to use the internet.

My conceige experience was good, driver who picked me up at the airport was very friendly and made small talk about what I could see around here. The resort is not far from the airport - so do expect to hear take-off and landings!

Getting off the van the staff were very atttendant to my bags and directed me to the reception despite it being really crowded since everyone was headed out to dinner. Floor manager was certainly keeping out a sharp eye.

Check-in was smooth even although I was a little surprised that they didn't explain how to get to my room since the property is rather large. Room was well furnished, the bathroom is even bigger than my master bedroom at home. Marble does look a little aged but I can tell they are maintaining it well. Lots of amenities available.

Shuttle to the city seems to be hourly which can be somewhat of an inconvenience around the time-table but the service is still appreciated. A free shuttle would have been a nice touch.

One unfortunate thing is that there are more floors for smoking hotel rooms than there are non-smoking hotel rooms so even though we had requested sea-facing pacific room non-smoking, the conference participation probably meant there wern't enough of such available rooms. We initially got a smoking room which was unacceptable to us and eventually ended up with a view of the golf course. A little disappointed. Do you really need that many smoking rooms? I'm not sure about the target of Sabah. Maybe.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank thechilibuddy

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback on your recent stay with us at Sutera Harbour Resort. Your comments have been noted and we will look into them.

We would like to clarify with you that our resort does not fall under the 4-5 star category but only under the 5-star category.

With regards to a nominal charge for the WiFi modem, we hardly receive complaints from our guests about the charges as they have a choice of using the internet in the guestrooms or in the restaurants while enjoying their meals and drinks.

The resort is located near the city and airport which our guests find it easy and convenient. So far, many of our guests are not disturbed by the sound of the planes flying above the resort.

The timing of our shuttle bus that takes our guests to the city is scheduled hourly but if you prefer not to follow the timing, you can always refer to the Concierge who will assist you to get a taxi. The fee is only RM3 two way if you take our shuttle bus to town. It is so much cheaper than taking a taxi. Hence, guests don't mind following the shuttle bus schedule.

We will investigate why you were not given a non-smoking room even though you requested for one. We have 250 non-smoking rooms and when the non-smoking floors are fully occupied, we will accord a smoking room but the ashtrays in the room will be removed and an air-freshner will be put in place.

Thank you for complimenting on our friend;y services and we hope that you will visit us again,

We appreciate your reviews being posted on Trip Advisor .

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed for a night for a resort experience in KK. The check-in was smooth which was done by a friendly staff who also welcome me, while we were having a welcome drink. The lady approached me and said my room was upgraded which was facing the sea and the swimming pool (yes, my reservation was facing the garden) without additional charges whatever. The room was very big enough three of us with well designed toilet, dining, bedroom and family rooms. Thumbs up for this. A great view for a sunset and swimming pool.

The breakfast was also excellent and the Restaurant Manager(?) (Iskandar) was friendly and he talked to us for about 15-20 minutes while having a breakfast.

The concierge staffs were also friendly, polite and very helpful when we asked for a shuttle bus or a taxi to the city. Another thumbs up.

The check-out was OK except I heard they have problem with the printer.

However, I have a quite annoying experience with the key-card. When I returned from the city on the 2nd day (it was before around 1150), the key-card didn't function anymore until I asked my daughter to check at the counter and they said the key-card was AUTOMATICALLY disabled by 1200hrs although I approached the counter on that particular day and the day before, that I can check-out the latest by 2 pm. This was also confirmed by an email. Whatever, it took nearly 20 minutes for us to enter our room.

A great place for a family. I will definitely stay here for my future visit to KK.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the sea (beautiful sunset) and swimming pool.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Sutera Harbour Resort and rating us as the number 1 five-star resort in Kota Kinabalu.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and friendly services. With regards to the key card incident, we have taken note of that as the receptionist should have informed you that your card needs to be re-programmed when you requested for a late check-out. It was an oversight from our part which we sincerely apologize.

We look forward to many more of your return trips to Sutera Harbour Resort. It was a pleasure to have you here with us.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I recently travelled to Kota Kinabalu with my husband and 2 boys (3 and 1.5 years) for the first time to run 10k in the Borneo Marathon. Magellan had been recommended by a friend.

The location is stunning and the flexibility to use facilities across the whole resort is fabulous.

We had a great Club room and while it was spacious and had a great view, it did not have a balcony. There was more than enough room for an extra bed and a cot with a king bed and the separate bath and shower were great.

The Club facilities were limited and breakfast was not worth it when the main breakfast buffet was only 2 minutes walk away.

The main restaurant buffet for breakfast and dinner were good. Ferninand's restaurant was amazing - especially the soup made at the table! Alfrescos was appalling. The cafe was OK but very slow and cleaning up plates etc was almost non-existent.

We had good room service experiences, including meals arriving in a heated trolley - however, this was not the case for other friends staying at the time.

The pools are lovely and there is also a smaller kids pool in the Magellan. We also used the pool at the club which was great.

Babysitting was very good and could be organised at short notice.

The kids club at Magellan is unsuitable for smaller children as opens directly onto the pool and there seemed to be little security. On the other hand the Kids club at the Clubhouse was very good, although details on providing lunch was a little vague.

Housekeeping service was excellent and well stocked with toiletries, towels and drinking water.

Staff were very friendly and attentive to the children but a bit slow and need to show a little more initiative.

On the whole, I expect we would stay again if we were to come back to KK.

Room Tip: Club rooms are lovely and spacious and have a beautiful view but unfortunately don't have a balc...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ange_in_Hanoi
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Stayed at the Pacific Sutera for 2 nights to attend a meeting. Overall I would say you will not disappointed but you would not be overwhelmed either. Check in was smooth, rooms are located along a common corridor surrounding a central atrium without air conditioning. You have a typical business style room with a bath tub and some dated furniture. WiFi is not available for free in the room, but free internet is available via an Ethernet port. It will be advisable to bring a laptop if you need to use the internet. Standard breakfast is available, but is not memorable. I used the room service once, and the food was good. Shuttle to town is available for a fee. Overall, I must admit that staying at Le Meridien KK was much better in terms of rooms, rates, service, breakfast and location. The reason I booked Pacific Sutera this time was because Le Meridien was fully booked. Next time, it will definitely be Le Meridien again.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Maylene K
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This is one of two resort hotels in KK, and in my view better than the Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort Hotel as it is newer, less crowded and more seclusive. Tangung Aru Resort have in my view became a victim of its own success, crowded pool and beach, kids running around in lobby and pool area. Sutera Harbour Resort is quieter and less crowded, thus a perfect place for relaxaton. I was offered and upgraded to a Junior Suite when turning up with my family without a pre-booking. The suite was obviously of luxury standard, and my kids thoroughtly enjoyed the experience. The pool was fantantics and there was section for the kids all to themselves. The breakfast and buffet lunch at the coffee shop were average (when compared to internatonal standard), but above average or even good when compared to local standard. Pricey, and its location may not be ideal unless self drive, but definitely would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MacLik

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay in Sutera Harbour Resort. We are happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your holiday and we greatly appreciate your support in reommending our hotel as the preferred place to stay in Kota Kinabalu.

The hotel is located near the city and self drive is one of the options to explore the city. However, we also recommend you to use our shutlle service that brings guests to town and back every hour. The shuttle bus drops guests at strategic points near shopping malls which makes it easy for them to get around town.

We look forward to your return trip and once again thank you for your nice compliments and posting them on trip advisor.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

I can't put into words how much I loved this hotel. It was perfect from start to finish. The check in is quick and luxurious. You're served free drinks as soon as you arrive. The rooms are modern and clean. The view is breath-taking. Magellan Sutera is the place to stay if you ever travel to kota kinabalu. Also I should add there is no other place in Malaysia like kota kinabalu, it was absolutely fabulous. It's a small happening city with a very beautiful beach. As for the hotel the breakfast is grand. You are served everything and anything imaginable. The hotel restaurants are located next to the beach and have the most amazing sunsets views. The harbour is one of its kind. Boats from the harbour take you to islands all day long. Its a hotel for families and for people seeking a relaxing vacation. The only complain I have is the bathroom. The bathroom really lacks privacy and is made for couples specially. There is a thin wooden piece covering the bathroom window from the room. So anyone in the room can clearly hear and see whats going in the bathroom which isn't always the best thing when you're staying with someone you're not romantically involved with. But overall it's amazing. I would 100% recommend it to everyone. Staying at the Sutera Harbour will certainty enhance your trip since its very centrally located and is a very lively resort .The Magellan Sutera def lives up to its reviews. I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: choose the pool view rooms they are right next to the lobby
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Nish x
MSBobby, Public Relations Manager at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Guest,

We are simply over delighted with your wonderful compliments on the hotel during your recent stay with us.

Thank you so much for choosing to stay in the Magellan Sutera Resort and we definitely want you to come back again to stay with us.

Your comment on the bathroom has been noted. However, you can close the wooden windows when you need your privacy in the bathroom.

We are glad that you took back many ever-lasting memories of your paradise holiday in Kota Kinabalu and we look forward to welcome you back for another paradise holiday.

With best wishes & warm regards

Director of Communications

Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range: £93 - £240 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel