“considered to be one of the best in Kota-Kinabalu”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 17 February 2008

I stayed at the Sutera Harbour in June- July of 2007 on 2 separate ocassions. I availed their promotion which was affordable/reasonable & comparing their promotion/service with hotels with the calibre of the sutera in the USA/Mexico/Caribbean which I won't be able to afford. The sutera is adjacent to the Magellan Hotel & Marina which is also a fantastic hotel. This hotel is ideal for honeymoon/romance/serene/family & by yourself atmosphere. They have swimming pool for adults as well as for children. The sea view from your hotel porch is tantalizing.They also have a free shuttle to & from the hotel/town.
If you are looking for a short walking distance to pubs/bars/restaurants in town then the sutera harbour is not for you and as far as I'm concern the lobby of the sutera permits smoking which bothers me a lot. I wish the management will impose a non smoking policy inside the premises of the sutera.
Thoug, I was billeted at the Sutera Harbour but ate dinner(which was part of the promotion) at the Magellan Hotel/Marina . Their dinner buffet was more than fantastic & it was set in an open air with the pond/falls/seaview . Their cold dishes/desserts buffet were inside the dining room & their BBQ/Broiled/Hot dishes were outside the dining room. The 1 hour balinese massage was also included in the promotion & they also have a very good gym.
The room I occupied was a bit bigger than I imagine ,clean,with bathtub,bathrobes,with see thru shower,enough towels /washclothes to last for 3 days & assortment of ammenities.I called their service technician to fix a bulb light that was not working & one of their staff came to change the bulb which I think was faster than the my city fire dept. Their breakfast buffet (also part of the promotion) were filled with local/western menus which sometimes I don't know were to start due to it's choices.
This hotel has a very good training manager/staff or their staff received good training .Honestly speaking the overall service at the Sutera Harbour will put to shame the service of most hotels in North America.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank mawila58
There are newer reviews for Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Reviewed 31 January 2008

We had a nice relaxing vacation at Kota Kinabalu in November of last year; we went there via Air Asia and arrived at Terminal 2 in the evening. We paid for taxi vouchers and hopped on two taxis (we were seven in all) which took us to the hotel in 15 minutes.

Check in procedures was quick; our rooms were sea-view rooms booked via the hotel website about a month before. Our flight was delayed and I asked my cousin to email a message to the hotel to advise this. (I tried calling but I could only get through to the Sutera trunkline but not to the Pacific front desk)

The air-conditioning unit in my sister's room wasn't working when she and her family got there, they called room service and a staff came promptly to fix it. Service staff in the hotel were courteous and friendly. One time, we left our room cards (keys) inside the room and after a quick call, we were given replacements.

Breakfast buffet was included in the MYR 517.50 (about USD153 at that time, service & taxes included) rate for the rooms. The spread was generous, and was geared towards the predominantly Asian clientele. It was a little different from the buffet spreads I've tried in hotels in Manila. Noticeable was the presence of Indian & Malaysian food in the offerings. If the main dining area was full, one is directed towards the outside garden area for alfresco dining.

The Pacific Sutera being part of the Sutera Resort group was a big plus. One can take the free shuttle bus to the Marina and the Magellan Sutera. (One can actually just walk to the Marina if one wants to) There are signing privileges for guests staying in any of the hotels so it is very convenient. One can use the other facilities like the pool in any of the three outlets for free. Strangely, even though during breakfast there seem to be many guests, when one goes around the facilities, they were not crowded at all. Most likely a lot visit the city or any of the five major outlying islands.

The kidney pool at the Pacific itself wasn't bad at all (even better I think than the one at Magellan), but for sports or recreation enthusiasts, the Marina & Country Club had more facilities, like fitness club, karaoke, reading room, badminton court, an Olympic lap pool, two different pools with slides. There's also a spa in each of the two hotel outlets, with the one in Magellan (being a resort hotel) having a larger one.

We didn't have other meals in the restaurants but did try having lunch twice by calling room service, and they were okay.

One drawback was the "sound-proofness" of the rooms, or the lack thereof. There were a number of conferences or incentive meetings booked in the hotel, and one night the karaoke singing reached up to our room. Even though muffled, I actually could recognize the song being sung. I wasn't that sleepy, so I went down to check, knowing that the hotel did not have a karaoke section. I found out it was some incentive party, and they were having one of the more popular Asian entertainment activities, which was karaoke singing. It didn't last beyond 11:00 PM though, so that didn't bother me that much. But for some people though, this may be an issue.

During our stay, there were two days when it was rainy because of a sudden thunderstorm. The concierge was very helpful in providing us weather updates from their weather bureau (and they were surprisingly accurate) and rotating our schedules in visiting the city, one of the islands, and the river cruise. He also helped us get a van to go to the airport instead of taking two taxis. Also, there are free shuttle buses going to the city stopping at various malls. You can also catch them to go back to the hotel. The malls were quite small specially when compared to the numerous gargantuan ones in Manila, but they were interesting anyway to have a look.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience and I wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
10  Thank zooq
Reviewed 26 January 2008

My family and I stayed at the Magellan Sutera for my 30th Birthday. We upgraded to a deluxe suite on arrival which I would highly recommend.
Everything you have read about this delightful resort is true. The beauty, the indulgence and the wonderful people all amounted to the most amazing holiday.
Definitely the most genuine and helpful staff that I have experienced!
I would undoubtedly recommend this hotel.
If you have time, a visit to Sepilok Orang-Utan Rehabilitation Centre is a must!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank TinaGahir
Reviewed 15 January 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Pacific Sutura for our honeymoon in 2006 and had such a fantastic time we returned last year. The facilities in the complex are first class, with a diverse choice of dining and activities in luxurious surroundings and the added bonus of being 5 mins from KK centre if you're feeling adventurous. By far the best compliment I can give to the resort is to its staff - I have never stayed anywhere where the staff are so helpful and friendly, take the time to chat and its easy to make friends with such lovely, genuine people. I honestly can't praise this hotel enough!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank angelbish
Reviewed 29 December 2007

we've stayed at this hotel twice as a base while taking in all the fantastic sights Sabah has to offer. We Prefer this hotel to the Shangri la it has a better class of guests staying and has a slight up market feel about it. The hotel comlex is huge but spread out with a marina and golf course this all adds to the luxury feel. The only down side was that one of the restaurants had a dress code but there are plenty of other restaurant choices. Eating out in KK is a must!!
Around the hotel when we stayed there were various happy hours and special lunch time dinning offers but you had to search them out as they didn't advertise this in the rooms.
If you like wildlife and/or diving you'll love Sabah, GO!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EasyDiver
Reviewed 13 December 2007

The Magellan Sutera offered a spacious room - although there was a lack of storage for the size of room. The breakfast buffet offered a plentiful selection of options and there are numerous onsite resturants to choose from for lunch & dinner (Spice Island is particularly worth a visit and not nearly as expensive as the decor might suggest). The resort offers heaps of activities onsite and a well equipped gym for anyone who wants a work out during their holiday! All onsite resturants offer the same fixed-price drinks menu but check out the onsite shop for cheaper soft drinks and canned beer.

In parts, the decor at the Sutera is a little tired around the edges but overall the rooms are comfortable. One thing to note is that during our stay the in-room TV information channel was misleading - advertising 'happy hours' in several of the bars that weren't in fact available when we arrived. If 'buy-one-get-one-free' drinks are important to you during your stay, check out which bar is offering Happy Hours with the front desk as well as referring to the information channel.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aikster
Reviewed 27 November 2007

We spent a week at the Pacific Sutera Harbour in September, 2007. We chose it because it was a little less expensive and close to all of the activities we wanted. Quality is mid-grade.

It’s not exactly the quietest hotel. Most of the rooms are arranged around open-air atriums (no roof, open to the sky). Because rain will come in, the atrium is all hard surfaces -- tile floor, concrete railing with metal trim -- making it echoey, so every slamming door, loud voice and rolling trolley can be heard. Also, every plane taking off from the airport flies right overhead. Most of the rooms don’t have balconies, but some that do are in enclosed hallways which I would think would get you away from some of the noise.

The Pacific is way over-air conditioned. The lobby and main restaurant were quite cold, and our room was downright freezing every time we returned, so much so that there was condensation on the windows. Trying to control the room temperature by turning the thermostat didn’t seem to have any effect, so we changed the temp by turning it off and on, off and on.

Room – Besides the temperature issue, the room was nicely furnished and clean, but the mattress was hard as a rock. No clock is provided, so bring your own timepiece. The open window between the bedroom and bathroom didn’t give the bedroom any privacy from bathroom noises. There was no outlet for a hairdryer in the bathroom, and no mirror next to the outlet out in the room. I was able to use the mirror on the outside of the bathroom door, but the lighting there was poor.

Food – The food throughout the resort was hit-or-miss, some good, some not. The desserts were generally a miss (I’ve never before had chocolate “mousse” that chewed like a gummy bear – yuck!) The largely Asian breakfast buffet at the Pacific didn’t appeal to our Western taste buds, so we stuck to the omelets, cereal and toast. The food that we got at Waves, the pool-side bar, was good, but twice they were out of what I ordered.

Swimming Pools – We enjoyed the pool at the Pacific. There is also a pool at the Magellan and two by the Marina – a very large lap pool for serious swimmers and one with a couple of small waterslides. The Pacific has a very small piece of beach, just enough to look for shells or build a sand castle, which was fine for us as we are not big beach people. It is a good place, though, to lounge in a beach chair, listen to the waves and enjoy the view over to the islands. The menu from the pool-side bar was posted at each chair, leaving the impression that someone might come take your order, but they don’t.

Golf – The golf course was a bit pricey, but that’s probably expected at a resort. The course was generally in good shape and the staff friendly. There are 27 holes, but nine of them are closed at any one time, so you get whichever 18 are open. They gave my husband a hard time when he tried to get a tee time as a single on the weekend, even through it was a low volume time and hardly anyone was playing. He firmly insisted they find someone to pair him with, and they found someone.

Other Activities – I signed up with Borneo Divers, which has a hut at the marina, to do the Discover Scuba class. They have a nice little base over on Mamutik Island, and our instructor Ray did a good job of balancing the needs of the three of us taking the class. The water was not as clear as I was expecting, though. They served a nice lunch of rice, stir-fried vegetables and fruit, and I really enjoyed relaxing in their hammock under a palm tree!
On another day, I went to the Monosopiad Cultural Village, about a 20-25 minute drive away. The concierge at the Pacific arranged for the Village shuttle to pick me up for RM105. This was cheaper than any of the tour operators I had checked with. Even though I was a party of one, the guide was enthusiastic and did a good job. The Village is small, but an interesting diversion if you have time. Wear insect repellent.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range: £92 - £240 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel