I actually won a holiday to the beautiful Kota Kinabalu so didn't actually select this hotel initially but I am so glad that this is the resort that we had the pleasure of staying in.
For the first three nights we stayed at one of the sanctuary lodges as part of Sutera Harbour Resort - Manukan Island. The island was a 10 min boat ride from the harbour and the view alone getting there was spectacular. We were greeted by the very friendly staff who gave us a run down of the island including the history and things to do. We were giving a refreshing iced tea, cool towel and lovely necklace each as a welcome gift. We arrived at the island just before 9.30am and were told that check in wasn't until 2pm which is standard. The very helpful staff gave us some beach towels and encouraged us to relax on the specially placed sun loungers on the beach for island guests. We were extremely tired after our flight and they told us they would have out room ready as soon as possible and we were walking into our beach villa by 11.30am.
The room itself was very nice with a living area and two separate bedrooms, a lot of space for a couple and even a family with children. We then set out to explore. The island itself is quite small with only 20 rooms and most visitors come for day trips to enjoy the pristine waters and snorkel. This meant the island did get quite busy during the day but it was perfect that there was a section of beach just for island residents to get away from it all. This is the perfect place to truly relax and switch off fro.m the world.
There is only one main restaurant on the island serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast was included with the room and was a buffet each morning. The lunch and dinner menu was a selection of authentic Malay and western dishes, all very reasonably priced. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and there was one night when we felt like the only guests on the island - true peace and quiet! We stayed for 3 nights as that was part of our package but I would recommend 2 nights and the. Island hop to one of the other islands near by.
We then went to the Magellan Sutera resort for our remaining 3 nights and on checking in were surprised and very pleased to hear we had been upgraded to a Club room. We were assisted to our room and were very pleasantly surprised. It was a very spacious room overlooking the marina with huge bed and very nice bathroom. The Magellan resort is very impressive - it's got everything you could possibly need and all guests have full access to all the facilities at both the Marina & Gold club next door and also the Pacific Sutera resort. Both hotels had beautiful pool areas, spas, numerous restaurants and bars, fitness centres and shops. The Marina then has a bowling island, movie theatre, squash, tennis, badminton.....everything!! Again the staff were extremely friendly and made an effort to learn our names. The room was serviced everyday and even again at night time. So many restaurants and bars to choose from each night, could have stayed here for a week or longer!! Staff also helped up book a trip to Rasa Ria orang-utan sanctuary which was a great afternoon.
I would recommend the Sutera Harbour resort to anyone visiting Kota Kinabalu, it truly is a slice of luxury with something to offer everyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
- Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
- Sutera Harbour Hotel
- Sutera Harbour Kota Kinabalu
- Magellan Sutera