“Good but needs maintenance”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Perth, Australia
“Good but needs maintenance”
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the pacific sutera harbour for 5/6 nights. We stayed in hotel room 510. Hotel amenities were great however the room we stayed in seemed to be outdated and needed maintenance. Room lamps had drilled holes in the back that weren't covered. Shower wasnt cleaned properly, there seemed to be mould on the grout areas.
We had other friends stay there on level 10 and they received crabtree and evelyn products and we didn't get that, we paid the same rate.

Wifi was free and we had no issues with that.
Swimming pool and gym was also good.
Breakfast buffet style and had something for everyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue H
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Sue H,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us at The Pacific Sutera Hotel.

Glad that you enjoyed the Hotel’s amenities and facilities as well as our breakfast buffet style.
We sincerely apologise for the room which did not meet your expectation. Rest assured, we take all feedback seriously and your concerns have been shared with the concerned departments.

In regards to your observation of our in-room amenities, only Suite and Club Rooms are equipped with Crabtree & Evelyn products. As the Hotel was running high at that point of time, some of our guests were upgraded to suites.

With that, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Kota Kinabalu.

SHR-Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed 3 nights at Sutera Harbour. It was a big resort with various activities avilable and you can choose what you wanna do. Of course you have to pay $$ in every choice you make. In general, staffs and workers are helpful. A guest room is okay and they have their own amenities.

Some of drawbacks..I think the hotel definately need to go through renovations. Most facilities look dated. They have a very small private beach, which apparently few ppl swim in. Not effective.

I got the negative perspective during breakfast time on my last day at Sutera Harbour. So I went to restaurant to have a breakfast. I was waiting in a line to have my seat. Then there came like a couple of groups who came latter than I did, but for some reason they got first served. At frist, I thought that they might have arrived earlier than me. But clearly it was not that case. So I asked a woman standing in front of the restaurant and said I arrived earlier than those people who just entered the restaurant to have a breakfast. The woman said to me that there is NO seat available for me inside and she said that I should go downstair to have my seat. I said I wanted to have my meal on upstair but she said that there's simply no table left for me upstair. Which wasn't true at all... because I saw people constantly coming out at that time.

I went downstair and it was half indoor setting and other half was outdoor setting. The weather was sort of bad and was about to rain and windy. There were handful of people who were having breakfast. I looked around and grabbed a dish. And it was disgusting. I'm telling you. Flies were all over salads bowl and it was just NOT as same as upstair breakfast buffet.

There was no dressing left for salads, so I politely asked one of waiters to bring more salads dressing and he said he would. But guess what? he never never came back. I finished a couple of dishes with other handful foods and he didn't come back after I finished my breakfast.

I was angry and felt like I should not be treated like this as a hotel guest. I paid equal amounts of $ as everybody else to have a breakfast buffet. Why should I have a far less quality meal than majority of hotel guests? So I met the manager of the restaurant and told her the story.

I, then, had another breakfast buffet upstair and they brought my table a dish of salads with dressings on it. I appreciated the manager's approach toward me and hope no one will not be treated like I was initially.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Monica H
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Christina H,

Thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor.

You are certainly right to say that Sutera Harbour is a big resort. Being a 384-acre resort, there is a spectacular array of activities ranging from its luxurious five-star resort/hotel, championship golf course, marina to recreational activities which we hope you were able to try.

We sincerely apologise for the shortfall in service during breakfast and hope that this very isolated incident does not deter you from any future visits.
Rest assured your feedback is taken seriously and necessary action has been taken to ensure there will be no recurrence of similar event again.

That being said, we look forward to welcoming you back to Sutera Harbour Resort for a renewed experience.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Pacific Sutera is comfortable and with creature comforts that will make most families happy to spend a few days here. Rooms are spacious, clean, and well looked after on a daily basis. The breakfast offering caters for all palates, is ample and will fuel you KK activities for the day. The pool food and bar offering is great, though the accounting and bill accuracy leaves a little to be desired ( yes you should check that what you ordered is actually on the bill you sign for ). The Concierge desk is informative, friendly and happy to help with restaurant and activity suggestions. Lots of marble and tile floors require some caution given KK does get some rain. Frequent shuttle buses take you into KK downtown hourly with it advisable to book tickets at the concierge desk well before you plan to go. Its 3ringgits for the round trip via shuttle and 15 ringgits for a one way cab ride.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Frank V,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to know that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the facilities and amenities. Our associates were most happy to hear of your compliments.

On the same note, your valuable feedback is much appreciated. As we take all comments seriously, rest assured your concerns have been channeled to the respective departments for further improvement in service standards and product.

We hope to welcome you back to Sutera Harbour Resort soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Spacious rooms and luxurious breakfasts with anything you could wish for. I left every morning stuffed. Pools were lovely and we had multiple meals across the different restaurants in the resort. Would say that the Italian place had fantastic food while the beach-side bar/bistro/restaurant had okay food but a lovely breezy location for drinks and a chat. Staff were all very willing to help although communication in English seemed to be a recurring issue. However, we all had a very pleasant stay and would return again :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear licensed2travel,

Thank you for the glowing review. Glad you had a very pleasant stay with us and our team will be most delighted to hear of your compliments!

However, we do regret the challenges you encountered with our staff in respect to their lack of knowledge of English. We will certainly look into this and hope in future, our hotel guests will have a better communication experience with our associates.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home, Sutera Harbour Resort.

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stay in Pacific sutera last July'13(club room) found the room was good n tis hotel is rated 4* so tis yr I planned to stay in Megellan sutera bcos it's 5* rated. But After stayed 3nites here, I reckon it's only a 3.5/4*.
When we checked in, the guy told us that, our room was in pacific side, but I showed him my room voucher clearly stated Magellan. So he went in a room to seek for advise frm his manager. After 5mins, he told us that, the manager has upgraded us to a junior suit in pacific due to overbook in Magellan. We turned down the offer n insist to stay in Megallen, so he went in d room again & speak 2his manager. After awhile we were given wat we booked for. (Here I was not happy, 1)delayed check in 2) manager didn't come out personally n apologize )
We were given the room at Marina wing on the same level as lobby. It's d noisiest room where u hear ppl walk in n out n talk so loud. (Dun request 6level) Room was ok, but the biggest problem was No wifi in d room!!! (My last Kk transit, we stayed in a 3*hotel US$30/nite we managed to get wifi in lobby n room) this is a 5* n yet wifi only available in lobby & restaurant. ;-( unacceptable!!
After check in we sort of in a hurry to get into town until late nite. Next morning, when we woke up realised the room did not Hve a DND placard. So I decided to rang customer service for 1 & a tissue box. 30mins later I rang again, he say otw. So we went for bfast. Bfast at 5Sail just like a market. Food was ok. (V packed)
When we return 2room, our request stil otw, we couldn't be bother as we change n go to pool n enjoy the sun. When we come out from d room, we saw a lady hse keeper so we ask for the placard n tissue box, she say ok.
Pool was icy cold, not many sun chair (I reckon 30pcs?)
After 5hrs of sun, we return to room n realized our request stil not there. Very disappointed service n my husband rang & spoke 2the manager, within 5mins, we get wat we want.
Shuttle bus 2town is chargeable rm3 adult
No daily newspaper provided.
Last day bfast was nitemare, the staff brought us 2 Al freshco,said better view n d food the same as 5sail.
But Al freshco bfast is budget, food was cold, most of the food containers were empty. It's 8.30?? Coffee machine only provide coffee (unlike 5sail, cappuccino, latte espresso..)
Overall v disappointed Stay. If I got a choice, will pay extra to stay in Shangri la. (Either tanjung aru or rasa ria) Dats d best 5/6* hotel in d whole Kk. Professional staff, high std of food & choices n wonderful high speed of wifi.

• Stayed January 2014
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Alice K,

Thank you for having chosen Sutera Harbour Resort as your holiday destination. We are disappointed to learn that The Magellan Sutera Resort was not to your liking. However, it is heartening to know that our 5-star rated property The Pacific Sutera Hotel which is closely located, measured up to your expectations.

We sincerely apologise for our shortcomings and it is only through such constructive feedback are we able to see our weaknesses and further improve from there. The issues raised are very concerning and rest assured, we have addressed each and every concerns with the departments involved.

As we strive to provide excellent service to make sure each and every guest has the best stay possible, we will continuously review ways to fine-tune our processes to ensure better efficiency and quality of our service touch points. In regards to WIFI connection in the rooms, we are happy to inform that there are plans to add in WiFi service to all rooms in The Magellan Sutera Resort. However, this will only take place after the completion of its refurbishment works which is scheduled to be completed soon.

We hope that you will allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves to serve you better on your next visit to Kota Kinabalu.

Msia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Decided on a very last minute to try out this beautiful resort for 1 night just before ending my last business trip to KK in 2013. Great resort. The room is very well maintained, spacious and comfortable. My room was facing the golf course which was a bonus for us.
We decided to go for buffet dinner in the resort that night instead of going back out into the city. Great choices of food for a very reasonable price. Value for money indeed.
Highly recommended resort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear MHRYU,

Thank you for a succinct review that touches all bases!

Greatly looking forward to welcome you back to Sutera Harbour Resort on your next trip to Kota Kinabalu.

Irvine, California
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Pacific Sutera was a little paradise. The stay for three days at Pacific Sutera was definitely too short for us (a week there would have been boring, however). We were upgraded to a room with a lovely ocean view, although it was difficult to see the sunset in the room. The sound of waves was quite relaxing. My children loved the swimming pools. One problem was that there were many people who we thought were quite rude and did not abide by the pool regulations, for example, those who dive or wear shoes inside the pools. The guards almost never whistled. Since they do not check id or anything other than at lockers, I heard that there are people who do not stay but use the resort pools.

We liked the free wifi, which we believe they offered recently because it was often unstable. There was a long blackout in the middle of our stay and the resort was also affected. The room itself was dated and had somewhat interesting, maybe romantic (?), feature that the bath/toilette can be almost completely open from beds through wooden bifold windows, quite embarrassing often times. The room has a thin wall, we could hear when our neighbors get in the room and almost understand their conversation.

Also, maybe it is our package, but the breakfast buffet covered only two, so we paid for an extra older child at half the price (~ 31 RM), which we found somewhat expensive considering the quality of the food that was provided. The shuttle to the city is 3 RM (adult) and 1.5 RM (child). They do not check the ticket on returns. A little problem was that the shuttle was always late by more than 10 minutes and never kept the schedule.

While we were in the downtown, we visited Sapi island so we had a chance to compare the prices for the visit: from Jesselton ferry, it cost us 103 RM vs. it would have been 160 RM (2 adults and 2 children) with what SeaQuest at Sutera. If we were staying at Sutera exclusively, SeaQuest would have been certainly more convenient.

I give it four stars, only because its location makes it difficult to access the KK city. All in all, the exclusiveness may be what a resort is meant to be. I would definitely wish to go back as soon as I am back home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear jeppa3579,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to hear back from our valued guests. We are delighted that you have rated us as an “Excellent Resort”.

However, we would like to apologise for the shortcoming in service which you have encountered during your stay. Your notes regarding swimmers who did not abide by our swimming pool’s regulation and the unstable WiFi has been shared with the management team. We certainly appreciate your constructive comments as it is through feedback such as yours that we are able to monitor and improve the consistency of our services. Rest assured, we take all comments seriously and necessary steps have been taken to rectify the issues you have raised, and enhance guest service experience.

We are sorry that you felt our location was inconvenient during your time with us as our location is typically one of our strongest attributes. Please be informed that in addition to the City Shuttle Service, Taxi services is also made available at the Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Eden54
Hotel Eden54
#3 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Property: Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#7 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, Priceline, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Hotel