“Bad Service At Reception In Magellan Sutera”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I was very excited when we decided to go for holiday in Sutera Habour (Magellan Sutera) with my family and friends on 11 Dec 08 to 13 Dec 08. This had turn me down with a disspointment when I encountered a bad service provided by the reception. No greetings when I reached the reception counter. Checking-in very slow. There was a Korean Lady at the Reception, who has wrongly interpreted when I asked for an "Extra Pen" to fill in the check-in forms with my other friends. She told me there will be an extra charge as she had wrongly heard as "extra bed" which I think this is really ridiculous. The checking in process was attended by an unexperience and no proper training new staff. She has given me the room keys with breakfast voucher only. I told her that I have taken the "Soothing Spa Package" offered by the hotel through the website. This really make me more dissappointed as no proper communication between the Room Reservation Dept with the Reception . Anyway, she managed to find the package I have booked six months earlier in June 2008. I also found out the reception had charged my credit card an extra room charges which she assume that I knew without explaining it. Therefore, I asked the other reception and she answered rudely ' You should know every hotels will have an additional charge during checking-in which they will reimburse if no additional charges incurred. I think she should answered more professional. It seems like they are not looking into my request seriously as repeating mistake happened until the last day I checked out whereby the room charges billed to my friend's name instead of my name. Overall, the hotel are beautiful with the X'mas Decorations, Buffet Dinner, Buffet Breakfast, Swimming Pools & Hotel Facilities. But Not the Reception, Very Lousy Service In a 5 Stars Hotel. They should have a proper training. The hotel management should look into this matter seriously as the Reception is the first place in giving an impression to the customers on the services & image of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank strawberry88
Write a ReviewReviews (2,868)

Reviewed 23 November 2008

We have just returned from an 8 night family holiday staying at the Magellen wing in a deluxe seaview room. What a pleasure. I booked direct with the hotel and all transactions were relatively smooth. We were travelling with our two young girls who are 3 and 6 and everyone was friendly and loved the children.

We never had a problem with staff. They always attended to our requests in a timely manner, and were gracious and courteous.

We loved our room and even though it is trying sometimes to share with 2 children and only one spare bed as is there policy we never really had a problem.

The grounds are out of this world. Immaculately kept and beautiful to walk through. The pools 4 in all are gorgeous and well maintained.

Buffet Breakfast over the pool was delicious and catered for every taste you could wish for.

For us the staff that we got to know well in this resort were the ones that made the holiday for us.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank librian2000
Reviewed 8 November 2008

This is part of a magnificent hotel complex very convenient both to the aiport and the city. The facilities are beautiful and clean and the food is excellent. My only problem was that they did not give me the room I had been confirmed for. I had been confirmed for a deluxe seaview with a king bed but was put in a garden view room with really no garden view, and two small (they appeared so) twin beds. If you cannot trust the hotel in that respect it is hard to bring a family, especially. True, I was there for a conference and it may be only conferences attendees subjected to that kind of treatment, but my advice would still be to confirm with the hotel directly, and perhaps more than once, that the room you confirmed is the room you will receive before going there, unless you really don't care which room you are assigned.

That said, the room I was in was beautifully designed. The TV was small but there was a spacious bathroom and tub, and free internet access. The grounds are extensive. There are several pools, including an Olympic sized one with lanes, a 27 hole golf course, and a small man-made beach. Tours are available to islands with tropical beaches nearby. I was impressed with how many fish there are and of so many varieties in the Marina in the hotel complex and around those islands. It is a fantastic location for diving.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I stayed at the Pacific Sutera for 4 nights during a conference. The room, grounds, pool and beach areas are all very nice. The staff are friendly and helpful. I was on the club floor so having the club lounge was great, although I thought the hours open were too short. We arrived at 8 pm and the club lounge was already closed. Overall a good experience and well worth it if you want a quiet get-away. If you are wanting the shopping, touring and nightclub scene, this isn't it. There are some opportunities for all three of these, plus golf, but this is truly great place for rest and relaxation. Take the Island snorkeling trip and rent a jet ski!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank HKTraveller2
Reviewed 26 October 2008

We stayed in the majellan hotel during October 08, having stayed there previously (4 1/2 years prior), with very fond memories. This time we stayed for a week and on the whole, were not disappointed. We stayed in a deluxe seaview room, and on arrival our room was quite warm, however we assumed that the air con hadn't been all that long so we thought we'd give it a night to cool. Unfortunately, the room was hot all night and we slept above the sheets. The next day we contacted front desk who said they would sort it out..... it took three calls to front desk over the course of the day, before finally at about 9pm someone came to have a look at it. It was going to be a long job to fix so we ended up being moved to another room and from there, the room was great. The other unfortunate thing, was that a paper was supposed to be delivered every morning. We received a paper 2 out of 7 days. The breakfast buffet is always pretty good but finishes at 10.30am which hurts if you have a big night prior, although napping by the pool isn't all bad either?!
Between the majellan and pacific hotels, there is also a marina which houses many facilities in its own right and combined, there are at least half a dozen or so restaurants to choose, all with very decent meals. Additionally, the marina is also where you can jump on any number of boats that head out to 4 or 5 different islands where you can snorkel and dive etc (about 10 min trip, which leave hourly).
The golf club is impressive and the night golfing is something to experience if you're an avid golfer (the entire course is lit with stadium lighting).
If you want to head into town for some more authentic cheaper eats, and much cheaper drinks. There is a free shuttle that leaves hourly and if you cant wait, then a taxi is 10 RMB one way to anywhere in the city centre. I would highly recommend doing this as there is some fantastic seafood to be had - ask around for the best spot (we've always enjoyed Oceans, but the night markets and open air areas are brilliant too, and cheaper)
A highlight of the resort for more than one reason, is the Waves pool bar at the pacific resort. Headed up by Jual and his merry team, these guys and girls will surely make your stay all the more memorable. They are some of the friendliest and enthusiastic staff that we have met anywhere in Asia full stop. They love to chew the fat, will keep you eating and drinking and generally aim to personalise your experience, making it a more enjoyable and memorable time. Furthermore, happy hour (2 for 1 drinks) kicks off at 2pm and ends at 5pm. Of course this is not to suggest that all the other drinking and eating spots aren't great also, and generally the staff are exemplary in all areas, however, these guys just seem to go above and beyond for you.
Cheers to all the staff at Waves. We'll see you in another 4 years...hopefully earlier.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank whoneedsareason
Reviewed 25 October 2008

We had a Magellan Club Room in the Magellan Sutera Hotel. The room was huge, clean and had a great view of the marina. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Club room guests have a seperate breakfast area and you can get free drinks and canopies in the evening in the club lounge. The breakfast was superb. Lots to choose from.
The pool area is great but remember you can use the facilities in the country club and pacific sutera. The pacific sutera has a good pool area too.
We had a fab holiday and loved this hotel.
A tip: if you want to try horseriding along a beautiful beach. Go to Kindawan Riding Centre. [--]. You can organise this direct with them or through one of the travel agents in the lobby of the hotel. We loved it.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2008

I stayed at the Pacific Sutera wing for 3 nights. The location is good. Not too far from the airport and the city. The city is around 10 minutes drive from the hotel.

My room though not new was well maintained and clean. It had its own ironing board. The toilet was spacious and had both a tub and a shower. The only that spoiled it was the TV. Reception was bad and I was limited to a few channels only. To be fair, I did not bother asking a for a new TV. Maybe I would get a replacement TV if I had asked.

The sea view is splendid. And the sea is relatively clean and clear as I could see plenty of marine life under the jetty. It had 2 very small beach strips in front of both the Pacific Sutera and the Magellan. Don't expect to do much beach activities here. I saw nets protecting the beach most probably to protect swimmers from jelly fish as I was told. There are booths selling tickets for boat rides and other sea recreational activities. I went to their gym which was small but had decent equipments.

The complimentary breakfast buffet served is average, both in terms of choices and flavor.

The hotel provided an excellent free shuttle service to commute to the city. I found this very convenient and useful and many of the hotel guests used this to get to the city.

The hotel staff I met were helpful and friendly. Some even went out of their way to help us. However beware of your valuables. One of the guest left her handphone at her table in the lounge and it was gone when she came back for it. When she called her own handphone, the person answering it had the guts to say she has called the wrong number!

Finally, I've never encountered a hotel so strict in enforcing the 12 noon checkout time. At 10 min to noon, access to my room was barred and I could not get in using my card key. They should have given some leeway after 12 noon. And I was not alone in finding oneself locked out of their room at 12 noon. There was 3 other guests with me at the reception asking for our rooms to be unlocked.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business