Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 3 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Magellan Sutera in July 2008 and stayed for a total of 5 nights.

First room we were allocated was a little shabby with stains on the carpet etc. but after speaking with reception, an alternative room was allocated, although it did take a while to get our luggage.

Food was pretty good with a wide international selection for breakfast and plenty of places to select for an evening meal - a must is the italian in the Magellan. It is a little pricey with smart attire only but well worth a visit!

The concierge was first class - organised private transport for us to see the proboscis monkeys/fire flies on a river cruise, at very short notice

During our stay, we also spent a day with a private guide on a nearby island, walking the nature trails through the mangroves and snorkelling and a visit to the Shangri La orangutan rehablitation centre.

We didn't spend too much time in the hotel but when we did the pool service was great - especially the cocktails as the sunset over the south china sea.

This is a great base and very convenient for both downtown and airport!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,948)

Reviewed 31 December 2008

Stayed at the Golf view of Pacific Sutera after our Kinabalu climb. We arrived at around 9pm. The reception staff were friendly but told us that our names did not appear on the system and neither did the tour agent's name. We asked if there could have been a booking in any other way and requested that they checked with our agent who has a 24 hour number but they denied having any bookings from such an agent. Being tired, we got 2 rooms ourselves and checked in while our travel agent checked out the problem.

What actually happened was that there was indeed a booking and a confirmed booking number but the hotel thereafter said that they could not relate that booking number to our group. We don't know whose fault it was but what we have now established is that there was a confirmed booking. Well, they could have tried to call the travel agent's 24 hour contact instead of saying they don't know them. Still, friendly enough to be fair but they could have tried to compare whatever confirmed bookings they had with guests who have not checked in yet. We never asked why this was not done.

Nevertheless, the hotel was beautiful and tasteful. The rooms very pleasant and what one would expect of a hotel of that grade. Try perhaps, to get the wing which is away from the club at the ground floor if you want absolute quiet.

Breakfast spread was great but some had to wait for tables and it can be a bit crowded. I can see that some waitresses were a bit grouchy (not towards us) but I can imagine the stress as it was quite a chaotic for them at the peak of breakfast time. Whatever, I think that displeasure should not be shown in the presence of other guests.

All else was ok as one would expect. We then wanted to go downtown and approached the bell boy for a taxi. He kept on saying the next one was for us but kept us waiting and then blamed the concierge. The concierge then approcahed us and helped out after seeing us waiting for such a long time. He knew we were waiting but even when another cab (not the ones called) drove in to drop off passengers, he went into that cab and some discussion ensued.... Anyway, we had to keep waiting and all along we were waiting right in front of him. We knew something was not right as the other staff also made 'faces' at this guy.

All said, the hotel was ok.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank FootyboyMalaysia
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I was very excited when we decided to go for holiday in Sutera Habour (Magellan Sutera) with my family and friends on 11 Dec 08 to 13 Dec 08. This had turn me down with a disspointment when I encountered a bad service provided by the reception. No greetings when I reached the reception counter. Checking-in very slow. There was a Korean Lady at the Reception, who has wrongly interpreted when I asked for an "Extra Pen" to fill in the check-in forms with my other friends. She told me there will be an extra charge as she had wrongly heard as "extra bed" which I think this is really ridiculous. The checking in process was attended by an unexperience and no proper training new staff. She has given me the room keys with breakfast voucher only. I told her that I have taken the "Soothing Spa Package" offered by the hotel through the website. This really make me more dissappointed as no proper communication between the Room Reservation Dept with the Reception . Anyway, she managed to find the package I have booked six months earlier in June 2008. I also found out the reception had charged my credit card an extra room charges which she assume that I knew without explaining it. Therefore, I asked the other reception and she answered rudely ' You should know every hotels will have an additional charge during checking-in which they will reimburse if no additional charges incurred. I think she should answered more professional. It seems like they are not looking into my request seriously as repeating mistake happened until the last day I checked out whereby the room charges billed to my friend's name instead of my name. Overall, the hotel are beautiful with the X'mas Decorations, Buffet Dinner, Buffet Breakfast, Swimming Pools & Hotel Facilities. But Not the Reception, Very Lousy Service In a 5 Stars Hotel. They should have a proper training. The hotel management should look into this matter seriously as the Reception is the first place in giving an impression to the customers on the services & image of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank strawberry88
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We have just returned from an 8 night family holiday staying at the Magellen wing in a deluxe seaview room. What a pleasure. I booked direct with the hotel and all transactions were relatively smooth. We were travelling with our two young girls who are 3 and 6 and everyone was friendly and loved the children.

We never had a problem with staff. They always attended to our requests in a timely manner, and were gracious and courteous.

We loved our room and even though it is trying sometimes to share with 2 children and only one spare bed as is there policy we never really had a problem.

The grounds are out of this world. Immaculately kept and beautiful to walk through. The pools 4 in all are gorgeous and well maintained.

Buffet Breakfast over the pool was delicious and catered for every taste you could wish for.

For us the staff that we got to know well in this resort were the ones that made the holiday for us.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank librian2000
Reviewed 8 November 2008

This is part of a magnificent hotel complex very convenient both to the aiport and the city. The facilities are beautiful and clean and the food is excellent. My only problem was that they did not give me the room I had been confirmed for. I had been confirmed for a deluxe seaview with a king bed but was put in a garden view room with really no garden view, and two small (they appeared so) twin beds. If you cannot trust the hotel in that respect it is hard to bring a family, especially. True, I was there for a conference and it may be only conferences attendees subjected to that kind of treatment, but my advice would still be to confirm with the hotel directly, and perhaps more than once, that the room you confirmed is the room you will receive before going there, unless you really don't care which room you are assigned.

That said, the room I was in was beautifully designed. The TV was small but there was a spacious bathroom and tub, and free internet access. The grounds are extensive. There are several pools, including an Olympic sized one with lanes, a 27 hole golf course, and a small man-made beach. Tours are available to islands with tropical beaches nearby. I was impressed with how many fish there are and of so many varieties in the Marina in the hotel complex and around those islands. It is a fantastic location for diving.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I stayed at the Pacific Sutera for 4 nights during a conference. The room, grounds, pool and beach areas are all very nice. The staff are friendly and helpful. I was on the club floor so having the club lounge was great, although I thought the hours open were too short. We arrived at 8 pm and the club lounge was already closed. Overall a good experience and well worth it if you want a quiet get-away. If you are wanting the shopping, touring and nightclub scene, this isn't it. There are some opportunities for all three of these, plus golf, but this is truly great place for rest and relaxation. Take the Island snorkeling trip and rent a jet ski!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank HKTraveller2
Reviewed 26 October 2008

We stayed in the majellan hotel during October 08, having stayed there previously (4 1/2 years prior), with very fond memories. This time we stayed for a week and on the whole, were not disappointed. We stayed in a deluxe seaview room, and on arrival our room was quite warm, however we assumed that the air con hadn't been all that long so we thought we'd give it a night to cool. Unfortunately, the room was hot all night and we slept above the sheets. The next day we contacted front desk who said they would sort it out..... it took three calls to front desk over the course of the day, before finally at about 9pm someone came to have a look at it. It was going to be a long job to fix so we ended up being moved to another room and from there, the room was great. The other unfortunate thing, was that a paper was supposed to be delivered every morning. We received a paper 2 out of 7 days. The breakfast buffet is always pretty good but finishes at 10.30am which hurts if you have a big night prior, although napping by the pool isn't all bad either?!
Between the majellan and pacific hotels, there is also a marina which houses many facilities in its own right and combined, there are at least half a dozen or so restaurants to choose, all with very decent meals. Additionally, the marina is also where you can jump on any number of boats that head out to 4 or 5 different islands where you can snorkel and dive etc (about 10 min trip, which leave hourly).
The golf club is impressive and the night golfing is something to experience if you're an avid golfer (the entire course is lit with stadium lighting).
If you want to head into town for some more authentic cheaper eats, and much cheaper drinks. There is a free shuttle that leaves hourly and if you cant wait, then a taxi is 10 RMB one way to anywhere in the city centre. I would highly recommend doing this as there is some fantastic seafood to be had - ask around for the best spot (we've always enjoyed Oceans, but the night markets and open air areas are brilliant too, and cheaper)
A highlight of the resort for more than one reason, is the Waves pool bar at the pacific resort. Headed up by Jual and his merry team, these guys and girls will surely make your stay all the more memorable. They are some of the friendliest and enthusiastic staff that we have met anywhere in Asia full stop. They love to chew the fat, will keep you eating and drinking and generally aim to personalise your experience, making it a more enjoyable and memorable time. Furthermore, happy hour (2 for 1 drinks) kicks off at 2pm and ends at 5pm. Of course this is not to suggest that all the other drinking and eating spots aren't great also, and generally the staff are exemplary in all areas, however, these guys just seem to go above and beyond for you.
Cheers to all the staff at Waves. We'll see you in another 4 years...hopefully earlier.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple