“Pacific Sutera - Impeccable Resort”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Mellieha, Malta
“Pacific Sutera - Impeccable Resort”
Reviewed 28 April 2009

3 weeks at this resort which fulfilled all expectations and beyond. Warm and friendly staff, top quality food with choice of several restaurants to suit everyone's tastes and pocket. Wonderful views, superb rooms with excellent service.

So good I have booked for 2010.

2 Thank Maltaman1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
fremantle
Reviewed 22 April 2009

From the minute we stepped out of the taxi to the time we left I found everything in this hotel to be superb. The staff were friendly, courteous and very helpful in everything we asked. The breakfast was amazing and in such a lovely setting. We ate mainly in town and used the shuttle bus frequently. The restaurants on the foreshore were great, as was Little Italy - one of the best Italian meals I have had, and only a 10 ringitt ride back to the hotel.
The room was spacious and clean and housekeeping very thorough.
We compared to the two Shangri-la hotels and felt we had definitely stayed at the better hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank janeetal
Melbourne
Reviewed 11 April 2009

My partner and I spent eight days at Magellan and for the most part had a great time and would recomment this large resort. The hotel is about ten minutes from KK airport. You need to buy a pre paid taxi voucher at the taxi stand at the airport; the cost was MR 20.

When we first arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a cup of iced tea served in the central cafe/bar overlooking the ocean; not a bad start. We were shown to ocean view room which was quite large and well appointed with one exception; there was no clothes drawer and only two small shelves to store clothes. I do not understand why a destination resort who want their guests to stay for at least a week does not provide a place to store clothes. I hate living out of a suitcase.

The room had a small balcony with a beautiful view over the water to the islands just off the coast.

There was no free internet available in the room although there was a free wireless connection in the very large and comfortable open lobby.

The Magellan resort is part of the large complex which includes a Country Club and the Pacific Hotel; all the facilities are within 10 minutes walk. There is an internal free shuttle which operates on call between Magellan, the Pacific and the Country Club which is very useful when it rains, as it frequently does.

Guests at the Magellan have use of the facilities of the whole complex which include a 50 m swimming pool, a 10 pin bowling alley and a movie theatre at the Country Club.

There are about nine restaurants in the whole complex. Our first (and only) disappointment was the cost of food within the complex. We had expected to pay a premium but the prices were similar to prices in Melbourne which I thought was too much although I have to say that I have no complaints about the quality of the food and service which was first class. Alcohol was very expensive. A beer or a glass of wine was MR 22 - 25 (about A$10 - 12) so I don't recommend this part of the World if you are a big drinker unless you have rather deep pockets.

When we were planning our trip to Sabah we were expecting to eat most evening meals in KK which is about ten minutes by hotel shuttle which runs every hour. The reality is that we had all our evening meals in the hotel complex. The reason was the weather. Every day we had sun until around 3.00 - 4.00 pm and every day the sky filled with dark clouds in the late afternoon and the heavens opened up for at least three or four hours. The rain was great but it was so heavy that it really made going anywhere at night very difficult.

On our second night and then each night we went accross to the Pacific Hotel where we enjoyed the restaurants more than the Magellan. We particular liked Silks, the chinese restaurant, where the food was really enjoyable and not too expensive. The buffet at the Cafe Boleh at the Pacifica was considerably cheaper and just as good as the one at Five Sails at Magellan which was very expensive at 115 MR per person.

In the end we felt a little trapped by the rain but there was enough variety to keep us happy although we would have liked to have spent evenings in KK itself.

Our rate included breakfast at Five Sails. The range was vast, as you would expect in a top Asian hotel which caters for all tastes. The quality was okay but perhaps a little below my expectations for such a large four/five star hotel.

The hotel runs a free shuttle to KK every hour. There is reasonably good shopping in KK but you wouldn't go there for the shops. Restaurants are plentiful and cheap, other than the sea food restaurants which are much closer to international prices.

We found the people at the Magellan to be friendly and efficient. The complex as a whole has more facilities than any other resort at which we have stayed. We noticed that there were facilities for take care of children and several pools specifically designed for kids.

There is no beach on the hotel grounds but the main free form pool at the Magellen is a delight and there were plenty of other swimming pools to enjoy.

I am looking forward to going back.

4 Thank NSMKMelbourne
Canadian in Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Upon arriving (Magellan side), I was shown to a room that I did not book - not a deluxe, no view, and it was all around rather shabby with furnishings that were worn and old. When I queried and showed staff my original booking printout, they responded that they could not move me until the next day. I moved the next day and my new room was wonderful -- clean, new, and very acceptable.

Overall the stay was nice -- good food, lovely pools, great breakfast buffet, etc. The location really can't be beat -- it's a great place to explore the little islands off the coast. It is truly a beautiful setting and one could be quite comfortable here. The only major complaint I have about the facilities is that their internet is painfully slow and unreliable -- not acceptable for a conference facility, which was why I was there.

However upon checkout I had a similar problem, though worse. Staff were completely unprepared for my departure, and my bill had several errors. It took them a good 15 minutes to correct the errors, only to then discover that although I had asked, they had *not* added to the bill also the charges of my colleague, who had left the day prior. This took a further 15 minutes and at this point the shuttle I had booked to the airport was leaving. I told them I had to go, and I was visibly agitated. The staff told me that they would bill me later, via email, and asked me to fill out a credit card authorization form. I did so, but using details of my direct debit VISA card, which takes money directly from my account in Vietnam.

Upon returning to Vietnam I received the correct bill (but not the first time -- they sent 2 incorrect ones first) and asked them to go ahead and charge the Visa. But they replied that the VISA card was not valid (my bank confirmed this to be the case because VISA debit cards must be used on premises -- ie., swipe only, you cannot enter details later). Magellen Sutera asked me to supply another credit card -- this is extremely problematic for me because my other credit card is on a Canadian account, to which I will need to send money (Telex transfer) which costs $30. I was outraged, but there was nothing I could do. Either I could Telex the money to them from Vietnam, or to my Canadian bank account, but all at a cost of $30.

Magellan Sutera's front of house staff need to get organized so that they can be of service to their clients. This treatment -- now resulting in me having to pay an extra $30 on my bill because of THEIR mistake -- is unacceptable.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank CanadianAEh
Shatin
Reviewed 3 April 2009

My wife and I had our 20th wedding anniversary in the Magellan Sutera for 4 days of holiday. We have booked a garden view room but with a very gentle request by us, we got upgraded to a seaview room on the highest floor of the hotel with wonderful view. Staff also helped me with flowers and cake to give a 'surprise' to my wife. One staff ( the one that checked us in )from front-desk personally brought the flower to my room on my requested day and time. The whole-hearted service moved me and gratefuly ,I was not charged at all. The shuttle to and back from the city was very convenient and we enjoy all our meals and shopping in the city. The hotel is spacious and clean with a yacht club. We did not use all other service there because our stay is short.
A small problem with internet service. Our free internet service in the room got somehow disconnected after an hour or so of using at night consistently. I think the hotel needs to strength their internet capacity

australia
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights in Feb 09 in the Pacific Sutera. The hotel had a lot of good features which were unfortunately let down by a couple of disappointments.

First the good: The hotel was great value - we got the best price booking directly through the hotel website, the rooms were ok and we had a view of the ocean. We were in the Pacific (the business hotel) as opposed to the Magellan. The hotel is in two parts, with the Pacific and Magellan seperated by a harbour and country club. You could use all the facilities from each location which was good. There are plenty of dining options if you choose to eat at the hotel. The room came with breakfast included and it was one of, if not the, best buffet breakfast we've ever had (the only hotel buffet that comes close is the 6 star empire hotel and country club in brunei). Having the harbour set in the hotel grounds is very convient because ferry's to the islands leave directly from the harbour. There are a variety of companies that operate tours out of the harbour with snorkelling / scuba also.

The concierge's are excellent, always looking to ensure you get the most out of your stay in KK.

There is a free shuttle bus into the city every hour, although it's only a 10 ringit taxi ride. It's also pretty convient to the airport and the city. For dinner in town get off at the third stop on the shuttle bus and cross the street to get some great Italian food at the Little Italy restaurant. Trust me on this. If you are in KK for a few nights go to Little Italy early in your trip, because you'll probably want to go back again.

During the week there is a cultural performance on in the evenings in the foyer of the Magellan. This is well worth going to, and people pay to see this same thing on some day tours.

The pools were nice. For those that like swim up bars you can move from pool to pool at this hotel following the happy hours.

Now for the 2 let downs. Firstly even though we were on a non smoking floor our room smelt of smoke. We asked the cleaners and they said this happened whenever someone in the next room was smoking, the air con being linked from room to room.

The second thing that annoyed us was the noise on the Friday night. Our room was overlooking the pool to the ocean. Around the pool a corporate function was set up. We had an early flight the next morning so needed a good nights sleep. However the music from the function was very noisy - other tripadvisor members have made similar comments - and there was no way we could get to sleep. I went to the front desk and asked what time the music would finish and got answers ranging from 10pm to 1am. I asked to be moved to a room not facing the pool (golf view instead of sea view) and was offered a room on a smoking floor. This stank even worse than our room. I went back and told them it was totally unacceptable and asked them to see if any other rooms were available. We were then moved to another room on the club floor. Why couldn't they offer us this in the first place?

So apart from those 2 things it was a great hotel. Just let down a bit.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aussie_h
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We stayed for 5 days at the Pacific. The rooms have any comfort you need. They are not super moder - but nonetheless very nice. Our room also had a balcony.
The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, and features 3 nice pools. There are lots of places to lounge around. Also in the resort there is a jetty with frequent ferrys to 3 islands which can be reached in 10/15 minutes. Brilliant service and the islands have nice sand, clear water and are an excellent spot to relax.
Breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly throughout.
Kota Kinabalu town centre is easily reached by shuttle bus or taxi (very cheap)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Property: Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel