“Beautiful resort with clean, spacious rooms and friendly staff!”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We are a Finnish couple (37 and 32) and always use 4-5 star accommodation. Magellan Sutera fulfilled our expectations in every way!

The resort is beautiful, big, clean and in a good location near KK but still outside the city centre.

The room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. We were staying at the Harbour Wing on the 4th floor facing the main pool and sea - lovely view from our balcony!

There are plenty of restaurants in the resort - delicious food! We also used room service a few times, big portions and quick service.

The Mandara Spa inside the resort is excellent, we both went there twice and loved every minute of it.

We would definitely stay at the Magellan Sutera again, we have no complaints whatsoever. Keep up the good work and special thanks to Dean, the waiter at Al Fresco, who made our last evening's dinner a very enjoyable one!

We want to thank the concierge and reception staff + bell boys for excellent service, as well.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Finnish_female
Write a ReviewReviews (2,943)

Reviewed 29 December 2009

The hotel and it's facilities looked clean and brand-new. Beautiful ocean view, close to the beach and a nice golf course.
I'll surely back there once again in someday.

Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
SuteraHarbour, General Manager at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2010

Greetings from Sutera Harbour Resort, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah!

Thank you very much for highlighting your satisfaction and delight during your recent stay at our resort.

We feel honoured that you have taken the time to extend us your compliments of our services and facilities through Tripadvisor and are certain that, when shared, will greatly motivate the team towards our mission of delighting our guests.

Thank you again for spending your valuable time during your holidays to forward us your comments, as it is through such feedback that we are able to monitor and improve on the consistency of our services. We await the pleasant opportunity of accommodating you again in the not-too-distant future.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks.

Kind regards
Muhammad Irwan Goh

Reviewed 28 December 2009

Apart from the fact that one can't book a sea facing room directly on the hotel website, there is nothing about this hotel that was less than I would like to expect.
The courteousness of the staff and their ability to remember your quirks and individual requirements was amazing. The sea-facing room we were allotted on request had a magnificent view- I'd strongly recommend paying the 50 RM extra for it.
The location of the hotel- next to the marina- allows you to use the various facilities for adventure activities easily.
The courtesy bus to town is again pretty useful if you want to eat in town- not that you need to- considering the many restaurants on the premises.
I'd like to go back to the hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I think what wins my heart is the friendliness of the staff in the hotel. I reserved a room Sutera Pacific through the phone but wrongly checked in at Magellan's reception. But the receptionist didn't complaint or make faces, she helped me check which hotel I actually reserved and showed me the way to The Sutera Pacific. When I arrived at Sutera Pacific, it was 4pm. I was worried if they had given the room to other people as I promised to come at 2pm. Thank God the room is available and the receptionist is so nice and helpful. The hospitality is far better from Nexus Resort in Karambunai (which I stayed the night before and believe me, it was a nightmare..you're gonna have to search my review towards that hotel). Right after I checked in the room, I realized that the receptionist had forgotten to give us the Welcome Drink voucher and so I called them on the phone. It was not even a major thing (forgot to give welcome drink), that they had a person delivering fruit basket and a box of chocolate together with the welcome drink vouchers, like they forgot to give us fight tickets. I am really touched by this. 2 thumbs up (plus the toes) for that kind of service. The view is beautiful, braekfast was awesome and has a lot of varieties to choose from (i didnt choose, I ate all.. and they're all delicious). Really worth the money spent and I definitely will come back again with my friends and family!! :)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2009

This hotel was fantastic, from the food to the staff but if you are only staying for a short time I would reccomend shopping around as this place was very expensive. If you are staying for 2 weeks and want luxury then stay here! WHATEVER YOU DO MAKE SURE YOU GO TO TURTLE ISLAND IN BORNEO! Its a 1 hour flight away or 8 ours drive but GO

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2009

If you could afford it, this hotel would be perfect for a family with active children, who dont wont to leave the resort grounds. There are too many activities on offer to mention here.

The resort has 13 restaurants, none affordable. You really have to travel the 15 minutes into Kota Kinabalu to eat.

The resort had lost my reservation, but it proved not to be a problem, as I was about the only one staying at the place. I do wonder how long they will be staying open for, as there were more staff than guests.

Take a book. There is not a huge amount to do in Kota Kinabalu. Day trips run from the marina at the resort to the islands off the coast. The operators will take you to Manukan Island, but here is little coral or fish here,but lots of garbage in the water. Its worth paying the 10 ringgitt to be taken to another island nearby. Sapi Island had lots of coral and fish. Both were impossibly crowded with people .

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2009

The Sutera Magellan is a lovely hotel with a beautiful ocean view. We were upgraded without asking. The staff is accommodating and very pleasant, even though we were at times among few or the only guests in a particular restaurant. When I noted that everything at breakfast was wonderful, except the coffee, the next day the supervisor of the section where I sat custom-made coffee and had it delivered to our table. Very telling of management philosophy. We went touring and returned after ten days - staff welcomed us like old friends and asked how we enjoyed their country. All that gorgeous marble and granite, in public areas and rooms, warmed by the charm of the well-trained staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Grandis
Hotel Grandis
#7 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range: £88 - £281 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Agoda, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel