Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$103
US$149
US$114
  • Breakfast included
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$136
US$118
  • Pool
Horizon Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$95
US$82
Trip.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$53
US$45
Agoda.com
Hotel Shangri-La Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$50
  • Breakfast included
US$349
US$304
3,073 results
All reviewsal frescofive sailscafe bolehgolf viewbowling alleysilk gardenspice islandmarina clubshuttle busswimming poolsmall beachnorth borneo railwayevery hourclub roommanukan islandthe south china seabuffet breakfast
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Check in @ 1pm at the Pacific Sutera Harbour resort in Oct 2010 but I was told that the room was not ready.
Waited and waited and waited!
Went to reception area @ 1335hrs and found an Australian couple checking in and they let them check into their hotel room in 10 mins! SO i asked what happened....... Finally, they let me check in early BUT they lost my luggages............................
Excuse me, are u a 5 star hotel resort? How could u lose my luggages in just 45 mins???
O sir, could you come and have a look to see if they are in the luggage room???
what???? And we are trying to help you! One of the senior hotel person said to me

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank TOM C
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I stayed at the Pacific Sutera for four days. The hotel is huge, the compound is huge, and the outlook onto the marina is fantastic. I think this establishment would've been impressive when it first opened maybe 20 years ago but now, its style is dated and the fixtures are worn, e.g. faded wood in rooms, cracks in bathtub.

I initially felt positive about the fact that at the very least, the rooms were clean even if they were a little old. That was until I spotted a dead grey-coloured gecko stuck to a wall in a corner of my room near the front door which looked like it had been stuck there for weeks. As you would expect, I immediately called housekeeping to remove it.

But my major gripe about this hotel is the poor service and lack of initiative shown by staff at this hotel. It started when I tried to book an airport pick-up for our group. I was told the hotel doesn't arrange this and that I should just take a cab as "the hotel is only 10-15 mins from the airport". What sort of response is this? What sort of decent business hotel doesn't make arrangements for such a basic service? After I pushed they finally sent me a list of cars that we could book.

The restaurant staff weren't much better though I experienced varying levels of service throughout the various F&B outlets. Some of the wait staff were attentive but others just stood around, not making themselves useful. At the hotel's Chinese restaurant, I had asked a waiter for a new teacup as the one I was given was dirty. He looked at me for a moment then walked away. And never came back. Now, I don't expect everyone to speak English (which unfortunately is the only language I can speak) but I would expect that in a restaurant, that type of request is fairly simple and straightforward. Food overall was average in taste and presentation. How can a restaurant in Malaysia make nasi lemak taste so bland and unappealing?

There was a girl at reception called Sheila who should reconsider her career options as she was definitely not made to be in the customer service business. She was curt, rude and acted like it was such a pain to be helping hotel guests with their enquiries. Your hotel guests pay for your salary! Horrible attitude.

I haven't tried the other hotels at Kota Kinabalu, but I am fairly certain that it would not be difficult to find a better place to rest your head and chill out by the pool for the same amount of money we paid here (over SGD200 a night).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank missduhr
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The Hotel forgot me in the air port even I booked for a transfer service from air port to the hotel. I was surprised but the staffs seemed very peaceful, just told me they will cancel the transportation charges.

When I checked in, the air conditioner was leaking and the dirt on the furniture is thick. The sea view room was just like you can see a small harbour, but blocked by trees. The beach is not a real beach, because the sea shore where you can walk on is no longer than 10M.

The other day, I took the tour offered by the hotel cooperating tourist company " sea quest". I paid 250RM / person but later I found out the guests from Meridin hotel only paid 180RM, lower 38%. I can not understand why guests in the same tour should pay for such a different price. Did the hotel charge it from the tourist company ? I 'm still wondering.

When Chencking in, I used my master card for pre-authorization. But when I checked out, I decided to pay with American Express. The staff told me she will cancel the pro-authorization amount. But after 3 days, the 2300USD is still frozen in my account. I checked with the bank, but our bank told me normally it could be cancelled immediately. So, have to check with the hotel by mails now.

Very bad expierience there, will never come back again. And suggest nobody to go there anymore.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This resort offers almost anything from massage, to pool bar to jet skying to trips to neighbor islands to great breakfast to great restaurants to golf and more and more. Very happy with our stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Spent a total of 7 days here on the second leg of our honeymoon. Originally booked in Tanjung Aru but changed at the last minute when we found out about the renovations happening at the Tanjung Aru.

Taxi from airport was 30RM, taxi desk is on lower level at the airport, fixed price, pay at counter and then take voucher out to the taxis as you exit the airport on the left. Check in was nice, turned up and were taken through the reception to the lounge bar and the receptionist took all our details and then we were given a welcome drink while she went off to sort everything out. She returned shortly with our keys and breakfast vouchers. We got to our room and it was very nice, Bath is a bit small but décor, fixtures and fittings all nice and clean. Luggage wasn’t far behind us.

The resort itself comprises of the Magellan hotel, the Pacific hotel and the country club. You can use facilities at all 3 areas and also the golf club although I never went there. The Magellan seems a bit more top end than the Pacific but both have nice facilities. Magellan pool area is small but nice and the loungers and towels are nicer than at the Pacific. The pool hut also give you cold bottles of water and pop over with cold towels and water melon every so often which is nice.

Small man made beach area in front of the pool also, but jellyfish warnings and muggy water so doesn’t see a lot of use.

Restaurants

Waves pool bar was our favorite over at the Pacific and the staff there are really great. We chatted to them daily and they helped us learn Malay and were really good fun. The chicken satay on the lunch menu is really good and they have a Happy hour also 3-5 I think. In the evening they have a BBQ dinner which we ate twice. The food was superb and really good value. It’s all cooked to order and if the weather is nice you have a table set up on the sand overlooking the harbor which is nice. Service at waves was spot on.

Ate at the Al Fresco restaurant at the Magellan and while the food was nice we did have a problem as my wife’s food didn’t arrive with mine, I shared my Pizza with her and we asked a couple of times where her Lasagna was but it didn’t arrive so as I had finished and it still hadn’t turned up and we were going into town we canceled the meal. Shame but I guess it happens sometimes. They have 2 for 1 happy hour here I think it was between 6 and 7 and is nice to watch the sunset and have a drink or two with a nice view.

Breakfast was served in the 5 sails restaurant each morning and was OK. They were not very quick to replenish items that run out such as the eggs Benedict which seemed really popular when they were on the menu but had to ask a couple of times as they had run out and were not replenished.

Facilities

Due to a back injury I couldn’t work out but checked the gym out anyway and it was large with lots of equipment and nicely air conditioned. They also have a Bowling alley at the Harbor country club I think it was about 30RM a game. It’s a good set up with about 10 lanes and all the equipment is in really good condition and looks quite new. It can get chilly in there though as the air con is quite heavy so take a cardy or jumper with you.

We also did the 2 island with lunch snorkeling trip with the company based at the harbor. They also have agents in both hotels selling the excursions in the lobby. Trip itself was OK but had to change snorkels 3 times as they were dirty and you could see mould inside the mouth piece which was quite concerning. We stared off at Sapi which was quite good snorkeling and then on to Manukan for lunch. The lunch food was good but unfortunately a bit cold despite us getting there at 12.30. Manukan island is not so good for snorkeling and the water in general suffers from a lot of litter which is a shame. The tour is worth doing but check your equipment.

You can use the internet at the business centre for 18RM for 30 minutes or if you have your own laptop or wi fi gadget you can sit in there and use that for free, just ask them for a log in password.

Also visited the Rasa Ria resort to see the orangutan’s, Roy at the concierge desk was very helpful and phoned up and booked for us and arranged transportation. It works out to hire private transfer for 180RM and had to pay entrance on top of that but well worth it. We also went to the Sepilok Orangutan sanctuary which is a flight away and we did this as a two day excursion booked with our travel agent and found that the Rasa ria was better as it’s not so busy and the feeding platform is closer to the spectator area so worth the visit. Our Sepilok tour included cave and river nature cruise but If you only want to see the orangutans I would suggest that the Rasa Ria ticks this box nicely and no need to get the flight to Sabah.

We both had a massage at the spa at the Magellan and although not cheap it was very professional and the spa is really nice and staff very professional. You will get cheaper treatments outside the hotel but not the quality or surroundings.

Rooms

Rooms were generally good and clean. Air con nice and not too noisy. Nice balcony area outside also. News paper delivered every day. Only grumble here is that it clearly states in the directory that an iron and ironing board can be found in each room and this is not the case. We had two rooms and I had to ask for an Iron to be delivered to both. Then had housekeeping keep calling me asking if I was finished with it. The hotel charges enough money and should splash out on making sure an iron and ironing board are in each room and in good repair. I had to send the first ironing board back as it had wonky legs and was useless.

Our travel agent didn’t tell the hotel we were a honeymoon couple but when we did they quickly sent up someone to dress the room with ribbons and rose petals and also sent us a nice cake with congratulations on it.

Every night at turn down they would leave a little box with a couple of cornflake cakes in and a bookmark and also some postcards which was nice.

Out and about

Went out to the waterside a few nights to eat and drink. Taxi in was 12RM. Good restaurants and bars in one location and easy to get to and from the hotel, the Thai restaurant was quite good, ate at the Kohinoor also which was OK but nothing special and the pizza restaurant was quite average. The Loft bar was good and quite reasonably priced. The Irish bar had a great band on one night, bald singer who made fun out of himself a lot and was really funny and musically pretty good also. If eating outside in this area you will see cockroaches running around but that’s just the area. Also beware that outside of hotels in general toilets like other places in Malaysia and Borneo are a bit hit and miss. Most share a toilet down an alley which is quite grim. The Irish bar, the loft and Thai Orchid restaurant all have pretty decent toilet facilities, sounds a bit trivial but if you’ve never been to places like this in Asia before you will thank me for this information when you get there trust me.

In Summary I was pleasantly surprised with the Magellan. We did have a couple of hic ups but all in all I’m happy to forgive these in light of the excellent helpful and friendly staff and little extras bits at turn down and poolside and the food and service at Waves. Would stay here again and would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple