“Worried about nothing”

Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Ranked #10 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Based on the very negative reviews we read about the resort, we almost changed our minds and booked another resort!!! On top of that, Nexus kept sending emails to inform us that for the period we were staying, the main resort would be closed off for a private function and that we would only have access to Lanai restaurant and the pool near our suite. We felt that maybe they didn't want us to stay there!

However, we decided to take the risk and continue with our plans to stay in the two bedroom spa suite (as the alternative, the Shangri La, was too expensive). We were travelling as a family of five adults and one baby. When we walked into the suite, we were instantly impressed. It was cool and refreshing, no sign of mosquitoes or bugs that were mentioned in some reviews. The view was breathtaking (especially at sunset!). The main master room was beautiful. The other bedroom was ordinary. I felt the place was clean and well maintained.

They only supplied four bath towels and when I requested for an extra two, they were brought to us with no problem. It wasn't immediate but I wouldn't complain about the wait time. I guess you have to understand with the layout of the suites, it's not like a hotel where there is staff and linen on each floor.

The pool downstairs was lovely. It was very busy at times but still pleasant and relaxing to use. The beach was very close by too, less than five minutes walk from our room. I liked how quiet this section of the resort was. We found no need to access the main resort which was quite far away anyway. We had a car so we ate lunch and dinner around the city of Kota Kinabalu rather than at the resort.

I found breakfast a little disappointing. There were lots of flies around and the food did not look very appetising. It was also very hot, no air conditioning if you sat inside and not all the tables outside had a fan.

We loved the long stretch of beach at the resort and the fact that it wasn't very crowded. My baby did not get bitten at all. I however, did but that was from the grounds of the resort, not from our room.

I think if we didn't have a car, maybe we would find staying at the spa suites a bit inconvenient but because we did, it wasn't really a concern for us.

My review is based on our stay at the spa suites, I'm not sure what the main resort and pool villas are like.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kumquattraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Booked for 3 nights in January in the 1 Bedroom Spa Suite. Terrible service upon arrival, no proper directions to our villa. Reconfirmed our room rates upon registration and was informed of higher rates when we wanted to settle the bill. After we checked into the room, we sat on the bed and the bedframe gave way. On the first night, we reported the WC was not working and the Steam Bath is not functioning, and we waited more than an hour and had to follow up numerous times for someone to come fix the problem. The maintenance staff fixed the WC but did not manage to fix the Steam Bath. There was no Water for a great one hour and without notice. We informed the Duty Manager whom told us this is normal every day around 11pm.

The breakfast spread is another joke, one would have imagined a 5 Star Resort would have a greater selection but NO, very simple and same food everyday, arranged and presented poorly.

We went out on sightseeing to KK and upon our return at 10:30pm was shocked to find our suite not serviced at all. We contacted the Duty Manager and instead of apologizing, immediately made accusations that we turned the DND switch light on but this was not the case. This was really unbearable and we decided to depart a day earlier and switch to Le Meridien KK.
The Aircon in the Bedroom was not working on the 2nd Night until the time we checked out, and a room change was only offered an hour before our scheduled departure time?

Better stay elsewhere, and avoid paying ridiculous high prices for this 1-Star Resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

So very disappointed.

Save yourself the 5 star price tag for the -5 star service

-forgetful staff
-TWO NIGHTS WITHOUT POWER
-ONE NIGHT WITHOUT HOT WATER
-far from majority of attractions and city
-dirty pool
-bad food
-old gym
-ripped tennis courts

Save yourself the 5 star price tag for the -5 star service

Stayed: January 2014
8  Thank youngwanderer01
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had reserved our stay in Nexus last July and became a bit concerned considering the reviews published thereafter. After a bit of discussion with the travel agency we went ahead with our plans.

We stayed with our three sons in Nexus Spa Suites last week, and the family holiday was really lovely. Our suite seemed to be recently renovated and was really nice (except that one of the AC remotes went dead due to batteries). The beach is lovely (except for the occasional trash brought in by the tide), and the pool areas are ok. The restaurants are ok, and service in general was good.

For us it was a great vacation, enjoying the sea & waves, and playing in the pools (hopefully not disturbing other guests while playing touch football in the pool).

But as written in the other reviews, the resort requires more repairs, better maintenance and investment in recreational facilities and equipment - however, that didn't affect our experience significantly, possibly because of our accommodation in the suites. So can't comment the main resort or the villas. We will inform the travel agency of the same as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Janne T
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is in need of major repair and maintenance ! Far away from restaurants and shops therefore forcing people to eat at the restaurants at the facility at MR 110 +++ per person. Spa pool not working. Whilst we were there the staff had their hands full to try and contain rain water everywhere under the roofed area due to water leakage ! The roof needs replacing, mould & dust on walls in our room. Light fittings not working. No Wifi in the rooms. Staircase tiles chipped and broken everywhere! More a 2 star facility. Not worth the money they charge! Stay away from this hotel it is on the end of its days ! You don't need to be a genius to see that there is no maintenance done here at all and the only reason they are still open is because when you arrive there you are stuck there for the time you have been booked. A total waste of money ! Previous reviews are all spot on !

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Primecircle
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I am not the sort of person who leaves reviews for anything and here comes my first, coz I feel I NEED to inform holiday makers out there to AVOID Nexus. It is definitely The Worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life and trust me, I have been to many budget hotels before.

I went there late dec with a female and we started our KK stay in shangri la rasa ria (which is an absolute DREAM compared to nexus, worth every extra penny).

Our nightmare start the minute we left rasa ria. Our first night -- Humongous cockroach in the bathroom, power went out ( the manager said it's the first time since 2006 but having read the reviews here he obviously lied). Poor hygiene conditions (dust on furniture, blood stains on the seat cushions on deck chairs, mouldy smells in rooms, mouldy aircon. The hotel is so run down that me and my frd never used any facilities in the hotel during our stay).

They charge the same for food compared to shangri la but much lower quality- small portions, undercooked rice, the napkins SMELLs - I don't actually know how they manage to make napkins smell so bad to be honest.

With the limited wifi available (only in lobby), I kept refreshing the shangri la's booking website in desperate hope there'll be rooms available last minute. Unfortunately none- I have never felt so desperate before.

The next day we planned our escape - we spent over 200 ringgit on taxis to travel back to shangri la just to eat there n walk around. It was so nice to be back in a clean place! On the second night the power went out ( again) n they missed our morning call. There was no water in the evening for a while, half the lights in the room failed but we were honestly too tired to complain.

Some staff are friendly and helpful while others don't really understand what is "customer service". While we complained abt the power going off every night, we got very unsympathetic respond "it's like that everywhere in Sabah" and started explaining how their electric generators are struggling with the heavy rain. Call me a monster but I didn't pay to stay in this hotel to understand power problems, I paid my money in hope to have a good time. If other hotels can cope with sabah's rain then it just means Nexus is not trying hard enough

I have been trying extremely hard to think of some positives- large rooms, some staff are nice

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
14  Thank FoFo5
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Don't take my title for real. It's actually the worst hotel we have ever stayed.

We arrived at the hotel late Thursday evening with glee at first as the lobby was quite well done. After checking in we had a trip to our room. We placed our bags and began exploring the room.

There were no umbrellas, no maps to guide us to our rooms, no menus to order room service (as we were hungry) and no shower caps. Well our room does not have much complaints but my cousins room has got more complaints. So we've got no choice but to get a buggy to the lobby to get our dinner.

At the restaurant we ordered our meals and waited. 45 mins later the waiter came and told us that they ran out of beef patties and asked whether we could have chicken patties as replacement. What's more, 1/2 hour later, the whole hotel was in a blackout. It took them a while to serve us some stale sandwiches and salad. When our meals finally came, we couldn't eat much as the meals too were terrible. Unbelievable.

We went back to our rooms while the blackout is still not solved. We have to sleep in a uncomfortable bed in a warm room. The blackout was not restored until the next day late morning.

The next day for lunch we went to a restaurant near the beach. I ordered a spaghetti vongole. After a while they serve my vongole with prawns instead of clams. We asked them and said that they ran out of clams and replaced it with prawns. As I don't eat prawns. I told them to take it away and I ordered a fettuccine arrabiatta which means fettuccine with tomato base.

When they came the 'tomato base' is actually tomato ketchup not tomato paste. What a sickening place.

That night again there was a blackout. We called them to complain. It took us a few calls to get hold of them, but was hung up abruptly.

I hereby tell everyone do not go there for your vacation. You can have it elsewhere but do not plan it in nexus. You will regret it for sure.

• Stayed: December 2013
10  Thank Nick12341
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
#4 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai? Share your experiences!