Based on the very negative reviews we read about the resort, we almost changed our minds and booked another resort!!! On top of that, Nexus kept sending emails to inform us that for the period we were staying, the main resort would be closed off for a private function and that we would only have access to Lanai restaurant and the pool near our suite. We felt that maybe they didn't want us to stay there!
However, we decided to take the risk and continue with our plans to stay in the two bedroom spa suite (as the alternative, the Shangri La, was too expensive). We were travelling as a family of five adults and one baby. When we walked into the suite, we were instantly impressed. It was cool and refreshing, no sign of mosquitoes or bugs that were mentioned in some reviews. The view was breathtaking (especially at sunset!). The main master room was beautiful. The other bedroom was ordinary. I felt the place was clean and well maintained.
They only supplied four bath towels and when I requested for an extra two, they were brought to us with no problem. It wasn't immediate but I wouldn't complain about the wait time. I guess you have to understand with the layout of the suites, it's not like a hotel where there is staff and linen on each floor.
The pool downstairs was lovely. It was very busy at times but still pleasant and relaxing to use. The beach was very close by too, less than five minutes walk from our room. I liked how quiet this section of the resort was. We found no need to access the main resort which was quite far away anyway. We had a car so we ate lunch and dinner around the city of Kota Kinabalu rather than at the resort.
I found breakfast a little disappointing. There were lots of flies around and the food did not look very appetising. It was also very hot, no air conditioning if you sat inside and not all the tables outside had a fan.
We loved the long stretch of beach at the resort and the fact that it wasn't very crowded. My baby did not get bitten at all. I however, did but that was from the grounds of the resort, not from our room.
I think if we didn't have a car, maybe we would find staying at the spa suites a bit inconvenient but because we did, it wasn't really a concern for us.
My review is based on our stay at the spa suites, I'm not sure what the main resort and pool villas are like.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nexus Resort Karambunai is set within 3,335 acres of unique & unspoiled beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nexus Resort And Spa Karambunai
- Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Nexus Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Nexus Hotel Karambunai
- Nexus Resort Sabah
- Nexus Resort Karambunai
- Nexus Sabah Hotel
- Nexus Karambunai Hotel