Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
Tang Dynasty Bay Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
The Klagan Regency(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Pool
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Hotel Yaho(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Restaurant
1,496 results
All reviewsnoble housepenyu restaurantkingfisher restaurantborneo wingsunset barmonitor lizardsolives restaurantmain buildingshuttle busprivate beachchinese restaurantan ocean view roomthe south china seakids clubseafoodthe club loungemalaysia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Visited KK many times in the past with family, always had the highest regard for the Nexus Resort as it was the newest and most luxurious Resort when it first opened. Since it is one of the further resorts from KK International airport (and most expensive) we never stayed there before but did dine their after playing golf there.

First things first; the layout and initial construction of the hotel is absolutely fantastic. The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms were set up properly, dining facilities, beach, golf and remaining hotel amenities were set up and built with no expenses spared.... many many years ago.

From there it is all downhill... There is zero maintenance in this resort. There were so any problems with this resort and I will try and list them below in the order you will see them.
- The road leading you to the resort is in need of major repaving & the tree's are in need of trimming.
- Upon arriving at the Resort, Staff uniforms are stained and torn, showing zero care from both staff & management.
- Check In process was slow & the agent didn't seem to care or smile
- Luggage delivery took an hour and 3 phone calls.
- Elevator floor is in major need of replacement.
- Floor tiles are cracked and in need of replacement; you can actually lift up some of the broken tiles.
- Door bell & DND indicators are all worn out or broken.
- Room floors are all scratched and in need of polishing
- Ceiling and Air con vent are stained brown from years of neglect.
- Bed (KS) was snagging in the middle so bad that items would physically roll into the middle of the bed.
- Bathroom shower stall leaked and flooded the landing are everytime we showered. The shower head also leaked non stop.
- Stains in the bathtub. Two types of stains; permanents stains which shows no maintenance and stains which I could remove showing no one actually cleaned the bathtub.
- In Room Dining; ordered the burger and a side of onion rings. The burger meat was so hard I could not eat the burger and they forgot the onion rings. I called the IRD number twice and no one picked up, then I called the Operator and they said they would check immediately and call me back.... still waiting for the call and my trip was week.
- After eating the edible parts of the burger, the dishes we left outside and we call for tray clearance. The trays were still outside after 12 hours!
- Breakfast was decent, as long as you don't mind getting your own tea and coffee. Decent bread selection and Asian noodles available for their obvious target demographic (not being bias as I am in this demographic.)
- Pool area was actually decent, but stains and torn sun beds made it difficult to really enjoy oneself. We were tanning for 5 hours and not once did someone come and ask us if we needed any drinks, we had to go and hunt down a server to get us some drinks... I'm not asking for complimentary drinks, we were willing and did pay for drinks. After finishing the drinks, we had to bring the empty glasses back ourselves.
- While eating at the dinner buffet (which is actually quite good) management could be seen eating as well, which isn't uncommon but they should have removed their name tags before dining or at least talk to your guests when you both reach for the same serving spoon. IF you do dine here for the dinner buffet, please be careful of the metal lids that keep the food warm as they will slam open making everyone look at you.
- NO wifi in the rooms, the only wifi is in the main lobby and dining outlets, which is not acceptable in modern 5 star Resorts. You can have a "wifi hotspot" set up in the room but when we asked they never ever got back to us... we asked more than one staff and the answer was always the same "I don't think there is anymore but I will check and tell you." Again, still waiting for that answer.
- Golf course is set up very well and again there isn't the grooming or maintenance you expect at a "5 star" Resort.
- If the staff were as attentive as the mosquitoes then it would truly be heaven. Needless to say there isn't any sort of pest control program in places as we all got bitten by legions of mosquitoes.

Overall you can very clearly tell that Resort management/ownership have zero interest in providing guests with any creature comforts and for a family that looked forward to staying at the Nexus, we are severely disappointed.

If by any chance Nexus Resort management cares/reads what people say about their resort on these forums, then please rectify these issues as you truly did have a gem in KK.

Room Tip: The best rooms are at a different resort
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank 604DC852
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I used to live and work in Kota Kinabalu between 2002 and 2008 and I regarded Nexus Karambunai as the VERY BEST resort hotel in the whole of Sabah. Now retired my wife and I return twice a year to holiday in KK and we usually return to old haunts to drink and dine.

This time back we went to Nexus Karambunai to drink at the Sunset Bar and dine at the buffet restaurant.

We could not believe how the hotel had been badly managed and not had any routine maintenance or upgrades done to it for what seems to be the last 5 to 10 years. To us this seems even criminal for such a wonderful asset to be left to decay. Such a fantastic seaside location and such a well designed building and gardens to be left to go to wrack and ruin.

All the other resort hotels have been well looked after and upgraded to keep up with modern standards, but Nexus Karambunai has not.

This hotel is now barely 2 star whereas previously it was definitely 5 star.

I should though say that the staff were all courteous and efficient when we dined there and the food and drink were quite acceptable.

Needless to say we shall not be returning until they bring back the old sparkle to the fabric of the buildings.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DGO4
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Nice resort to stay. The rooms is big. Facilities in the room is all tip top. Lots of selection on their breakfast menu. Got no complain at all. But only 1 thing they should improve is lack of signage to the resort. Since that we rent a car, we almost getting lost going there. Hope the management can do something about it.

Room Tip: Rent a car if you want to move around the area.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank azharaida
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I first stay with this resort back in year 2000. It was truly a memorable event back then. The tagline was "Some says it's heaven", and I agreed with it back then.
13 years has passed, nothing has changed. That was the problem, nothing has change. I can see that they are using the same stuffs as last time, only with no maintenance at all.
I am truly disappointed that heaven turning to hell.
Fallen room number plates (multiple), deteriorated painting work, malfunction equipmment are every where.
We booked 3 rooms,, with stucked basin, fused light, malfunction telephones, leaking basin, decolored ceiling, fungus grow wall light, broken lamp shade, dusty floor, it's a total disaster.
We required a room change to a "better" room that was at least clean. I can safely say most room are like that.
The hotel food was ok. The swimming pool was not very clean as I develop rash at my neck the next day (may be is the bed's dust mite). But I am certain is from this resort as my family members suffered the same after we left.
I wonder how can somebody turn an heaven to hell..... From what I see, there were no maintenance (even simple painting work) had been done. More so, the utilities were the same as my 10 years ago experience. Indicating that the owner spend nothing on the resort.
My suggestion is that the owner sell it or let some other good chain hotel take over it, then, only can revive.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel if you want a happy holiday. All rooms (we have seen 5 rooms) are poor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank NormanChin
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I had a miserable stay in this spa suite Karambunai nexus for 2 days 1 night.

Upon arrival to Karambunai junction from the mainroad, there is only 1 small signboard showing Nexus hotel, so we went there and ask for reception. Then, we were told spa suite is at the other place. Just drive straight and you reach there or "jalan terus saja", it seems like the distance is in 5 minutes. BUT i need to drive pass throught the earlier junction and then you'll see the area of bungalows and apartments which has NO SINGLE signboard showing Nexus spa suite. SO confusing! and the security put a cone there, not welcoming at all!

we reach there around 530 pm, try to rush into our room to catch for evening prayer. However, after payment and deposit made, the receptionist told that, "Im sorry can you wait for another 1 hour, still housekeeping work". This really made me dissapointed and angry as WHY ROOM cant be ready AT 530PM. Your check in time supposedly at 2pm. This not ACCEPTABLE for a 5 star rated hotel/resort. I felt like going to another hotel but we already booked and paid online, we are paying almost 1k per night. MUCH MUCH dissapointed!

After some nagging and scolding..we were given a room. some credits to resort that the room was quite nice and well maintained. HOWEVER, room service is so bad..given 3 airconds and 2 TVs but no remote control to operate it. TVs cant be used as no channel provided. I wonder how and why..DVD player also given but what am i going to watch?? After I able to call the receptionist via my phone (hotel phone not working also), they actually forgot to put our astro decoder! This is not ACCEPTABLE at ALL!!

No spoon given also. how to drink coffee then??

Then..the worst part is the water supply. Its like staying in a hostel as the water tap flow is bad. after few seconds very minimal flow then it goes back again when someone off the water (from other room i guess). I dont think that Kota kinabalu had catuan air. this remembers me staying in boarding school where i had to wake up early in the morning to bath because of water supply.

Breakfast is also the same thing..not enough food. Fried noodles finished as early as 830am but only replaced with white rice to be eated with soy cabbage?? what kind of breakfast meal is that? that is not even malaysian style.

We checked out as early as possible to forget all these bad memories. this is the first and the last im coming to this place.

honestly, the place can be better, the building and scenery is very beautiful but poor maintainance, poor staff and management.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family