“Security staff smokes pot”

The Jesselton Hotel
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Toronto, Canada
“Security staff smokes pot”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Arriving in Kota Kinabalu for business late on a thursday my patience had already been tested. Looking to relax after checking into my room I needed to use the mens room. The door was LOCKED! I asked if they could open it and a man inside said "no, use the girls room". I thought this was rather strange and did in fact try to listen to his demand but it was also being used. after about 10 minutes the man wearing an all dark blue outfit (couldn't tell if he was security or a janitor) opened the door. It smelled heavily of marijuana. It was so bad I ended up leaving the hotel to go elsewhere and use their facilities. Point being how can such a historical hotel have such low class staff. I will never stay at the Jesselton Hotel ever again and will advise my business consultants the same. To make matters worse the man did not even appologize, just walked past me and bumped into my shoulder in a rude manner. I would say stay at this hotel at your own risk because who knows what other sketchy type actions their staff would partake in with complete disregard for its patrons. There's my two cents....

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Used it as our base hotel as we travelled around Borneo and I would recommend it to everyone. Not far from the airport, has adjacent restaurants & cafe's plus a ten minute walk from the city market & seafront.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sapper501
Monastir, Tunisia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for about a week, and it ranks as one of the best hotel experiences i've ever had. The rooms are very big, with top notch linens. The staff is very helpful and nice. It is a great location. You will never be disappointed if you choose this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jesicca m
Lancashire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Set on a corner of Gaya Street, opposite Oldtown White Coffee, the Jesselton Hotel was perfectly placed for us to explore Kota Kinabalu, as it's easy walking distance to everywhere from here and also just a quick drive from the airport to reach!

We arrived on 2nd May for one night then set of to climb Mount Kinabalu, returning to the Jesselton 2 days later for a further 5 nights. The hotel very kindly stored our luggage during the climb which made things really easy for us.

When we first arrived my husband wasn't too impressed, the outside and lobby still hold their old school colonial beauty, though the rooms are a little tired around the edges, however, once we came back from the mountain he did change his mind.

We were in room 205, and yes some of the paper is peeling off the wall and there´s a touch of mold in the bathroom (but this was also the case in our room at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria, I think it's because the country is so damp), but honesty we really liked it, it has a relaxed charm and the staff are great, especially Nora who was extremely helpful.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in the centre of KK and, like us, prefers character hotels to new but bland ones. Like I've said above the staff here are half the joy of staying here so make sure you take the time to chat with them, some of their English isn't great but patience reaps it own rewards and they really did improve our stay.

We enjoyed our time here and really missed it's friendliness when we moved on to the Shangri-La's Rasa Ria for the last few nights of our stay in the area.

2 Thank MicknRuth
Lohja, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

the jesselton hoetl is located in the central of the city so was very easy for us to get to places. the room was big and bright. my wife loved the hotel decoration style! the staff always greeted us with a big smile!

1 Thank cseila
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

It took me just 20 mins by taxi from the KK International Airport to reach the Jesselton Hotel located ideally in the heart of the city surrounded by numerous shopping centres , banks and restaurants almost everything a traveller needed. The hotel was established in 1954 but it retained it's evergreen colonial elegance and originality through it's consistent restoration and renovation programmes over the years .
The staff were so friendly, hospitable and ever helpful with their excellent service. Foods served in the only Bella Restaurant met my expectation and I would recommend you to eat there. They served Western and local food. Just by it's side was the popular Old Town Cafe to provide you good coffee ,tea , bread and a variety of common local foods in case you got hungry any time of the day, a bonus for you.
The room and the rest room were clean, so were the bed, the sheets and the pillows with complete amenities inclusive of free WIFI . I was quite impressed, there were two safety bars for holding at the bath tub area which you seldom find in other hotels.There was a book containing the history of the hotel, places of interest to visit and the various contact numbers of the hotel. Perhaps another page on the Do's and the Dont's for a traveller in KK would be helpful too.
The people in Kota Kinabalu were mostly friendly people with smiles all around and quite conversant with the English language. The airport transfer would cost you Ringgit Malaysia 30 and generally, the ample number of taxi drivers are honest and helpful to tourists. I would recommend this hotel to you but you would be considered lucky if you could book a room on your first call as it was booked fully most of the time.
Cheers and hope you enjoy your stay here !

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms .
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank Benrey9
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Jesselton Hotel , A very nice comfortable "old style" hotel, Jesselton the name, was the name of the City back in the Colonial days before being called Kota Kinabalu, and I reckon the later sounds much better ! The rooms have been refurbished and a of a nice size, location couldn't get any better, smack bang in the middle of town and waling distance to everything. The meals are very nice, large portions and good quality so excellent value. Very very friendly staff, prices around current hotel eating market rates. Most people would struggle to finish a 3 course setting.

For a short stay of say 3 - 4 nights, would be ideal at this cozy Hotel !!

Room Tip: Great place for golfers to stay !!