“Roaches, Mould, Constant Noise and Foul Smells”

Likas Square Apartment Hotel
Ranked #26 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Roaches, Mould, Constant Noise and Foul Smells”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I am not usually one to complain a lot, I have stayed in some rank hotels in my time, but never have I been this disappointed. Usually when i book budget, I am happy when I get what I pay for. Likas Sq however did not measure up to the price. I hope this review will help other travellers on TA to avoid making my mistake here. What a dump. we arrived at 8pm on a Saturday evening to a beautiful lobby of marble and stainless steel after booking the hotel one month previous for a two night stay in KK. Unfortunately the facade disappeared quickly when we exited the lift on the fourth floor and entered a poorly lit, filthy corridor on the way to our room.

This is a long list, so bullet points are best.
- Kitchen mouldy and unclean
- Cups and very basic tea/coffee but absolutely nothing else
- Marks from past guests foods etc, still throughout cupboards
- Stainless steel sink rusting and corroded
- Fridge clean but with foul smell, and not even switched on at the wall.
- Air conditioner very noisy
- Old TV with no DVD player etc.
- Furniture old and inadequate
- Walls badly marked and paint chipped everywhere
- Sofas and cushions torn
- Bathrooms worse than that found in a 10RM/night hotel
- Very bad mould throughout bathroom
- Both toilets leaking and constantly running
- Pathetic WiFi network, need "token" from reception but network overloaded, so even if you manage to make the token work, the internet is ridiculously slow.

Ultimately, I feel cheated and dirty and if I could rate this "condotel" less than 1 star, I would. I am under no delusion that hotels in Malaysia (and through Asia for that matter) rarely meet the quality of those we expect in Australia and I am reviewing this hotel in this fashion because the management of this establishment are deceiving prospective clientele. We booked the hotel from Australia and I can assure you the photos on their website do not match the venue. The hotel is remote compared with the rest of KK and considering how brilliant the food is in the rest of Malaysia, the food and 'restaurants' around Likas Sq are very very very poor.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else and save your money and time.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank pimpdaddyrockstar
LikasSquareAptHotel, Manager at Likas Square Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for highlighting this matter to us. I must apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

We regret to have caused any inconvenience you have experienced during your last stay with us. Rest assured that my team is reviewing the information given to us and we will address this issue in all seriousness. If you need any assistance please contact us directly at info@likassquare.com.my .

Once again, we thank you for giving us the opportunity to do better.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Unit is spacious and impressive with three bedrooms, two t/b, dining, and sofa. Aircon units are working, hot and cold faucets and showers are okay.
The hotel is 5 to 10 minute drive to the city, they have free shuttle to pick you from and back to the hotel from 10am to 5pm, beyond these hours, you need to hire a taxi.
Hotel staff are efficient.
Airport shuttle can be arranged at a nice price, we were 9 including children, we need two taxis to go the airport, but we hired the hotel's shuttle van for RM80, might be RM10 higher than hiring two taxis which I think is fair and convenient enough for our group.
After five o'çlock, food will be hard to find in the hotel's vicinity especially on Sundays.
Swimming pool and playground are available from 7am to 9pm.
The hotel doesn't have a money changer.
All in all, I guess, the family room gave me more value for my money.

Room Tip: Rooms far from the swimming pool are more private.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed here with 5 other people so the 3-bedroom flat was pretty much great value for money. The hotel grounds are not very clean but the rooms are okay. They provide towels and basic toiletry too.

The flat has a working kitchenette for those who want to cook. Hotel offers complimentary scheduled shuttle to town in case you want to explore Kota Kinabalu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's closer to the lift because the ones at the end of the corridors are pretty...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Rooms are large and clean enough, much better than what the hallways look like. Location isn't the best, not much around in the area except for two or three restaurants. At least there's lots of cold beer in the lobby fridge!
The shuttle to downtown doesn't really exist (only goes like once a day), you need to take taxis.

• Stayed May 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This hotel is not in the middle of KK, it is quite a hassle to get to town if you don't have your own transportation.

We reached the hotel at 4pm and was told that the room wasn't ready. When pressed for a time when it would be ready, we were greeted with an answer "we cannot tell you for certain". Having been on a 7 hour road trip and getting no answer didn't fly well with me. After another couple of minutes asking the front desk to give us a confirmation of what time it will be ready, he finally called housekeeping and gave them a 2 and a half hour deadline.

The hotel finally called at a bit past 6pm. Hotels normally have a check out time of 12pm and a check in time of 2pm to allow 2 hours for housekeeping to clean the rooms. By calling me at 6 plus in the evening, in my mind, the hotel had more than 6 hours to clean the room and I was stuck outside because of their incompetency.

The room was alright. Fitting for a large group because it had a hall, a double bed, four single beds and three rooms. It had a stove with no utensils, coffee and tea with no teaspoons, and 6 towels. The sofa was comfortable, the TV lacked the variety of channels and it also had a 6 seater dining table. Not bad for RM330.

The second day, housekeeping did not come up at all. We had to call for a change of towels, we had to call again for more tea/coffee/sugar/creamer sachets. The bathrooms weren't cleaned and the beds weren't made.

The last straw came on the day we checked out. We checked out at 7am and went around KK. At about 9.20am, one member of our group realized that she had left her cardigan in the hotel. I called the hotel to confirm if there were any cardigans, told them to call me back asap as if there were, we would drive back to the hotel. No calls came, we drove back anyway.

The affected member went up to the front desk, explained and then waited for them to call housekeeping. Housekeeping called back 5 minutes later and said there was nothing found. The member insisted she remembered leaving it and demanded to be brought up to the room and the front desk reluctantly obliged.

When she got to the room, she saw her cardigan lying on the bed/sofa (I cannot remember which one). She also noticed that nothing of the room was cleaned as of yet. No wonder we had to wait so long to check in when housekeeping wasn't even bothered to clean up after people have left.

For the price, the condo was quite a money saver. However, to endure this kind of service again, I would gladly pay more and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are on a tight schedule, they might screw it up for you. Rooms on the 3rd fl...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jasmyin
LikasSquareAptHotel, General Manager at Likas Square Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
First of all, I would like to thank you for highlighting this matter to us. I must also apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment with our service during your last stay with us. Please be assured that we take such feedback very seriously and will ensure the necessary action is taken to avoid any future occurrence.

Please accept our apologies for the lack of service and courtesy shown in this instance. We agree with you that efficient service is essential especially for our valued guests like you.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly at razali@likassquare.com.my in order for me to gather some further detail. I want to let you know that we have every intention of assisting our guests and resolving all issues brought to our attention because our guests' interest is our utmost priority.

Once again, we thank you for giving us the opportunity to do better. We are looking forward to your continued support.

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Afforable place to stay. Quite old and Not much shops around. Poor internet Wifi strength in our room but its free. Location is good a bit quiet place.

• Stayed December 2011
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Despite an excellent room rate and spacious well-built rooms, it was such a horrible experience!
We had checked in late in the evening and asked for towels (only three in the apartment - despite telling the staff repeatedly that there is 6 of us, thought it would be obvious since there is 4 single beds and a double bed in the three roomed apartment!!) - this became a regular occurrance - whenever we returned from our outings in the evening, we would have to call housekeeping to ask for extra towels and on more than one occasion we would have to call asking them to clean our rooms!!
Before we left the rooms in the morning we would call housekeeping and ask them to clean our rooms - lo and behold when we get back in the evening, the rooms are still not cleaned - seriously the bathrooms needs scrubbing!!
The final straw was when we got back on the last evening on our stay to find the in-room fridge to be wide open (everything in the fridge was warm!) PLUS some of our children's chocolates was opened, half eaten and placed on top of the fridge!! When we called to complained to reception, the receptionist simply said she didn't know anything, and added there is no manager plus housekeeping was closed!
The next day upon check out, I complained to the staff - they simply told me to fill in a form!!!
So to sum it up - AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank han111
First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

We truly regret to have caused inconvenience during your last stay with us. We agree with you that the usual high standard of our services were not met in this instance. Please accept our sincere apology for the lapse in service delivery. I want to assure you that we take such feedback very seriously and will ensure the necessary action is taken to avoid any future occurrence.