“Run Down But Value for Money!”

Likas Square Apartment Hotel
Ranked #24 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This is my second stay with this apartment hotel. I booked this hotel through agoda.com but there were some problems during check-in as my booking was not registered in the hotel system. However, the staff quickly upgraded my friends and I into a deluxe room. (I wonder if they would kick us out if there were no rooms left to be upgraded to?)

Before we got too excited, we found out that the deluxe room was actually quite run down. It was advertised that we would get six beds.. but instead we got 4 beds, and 2 mattresses on the floor! One of the rooms had cracking floor boards. When we requested for a change of room, the staff declined our request.

The air conditioning was working, but it looked like it was about to go kaput as it cooled up the room very, very slowly. Other than that, all other facilities and services were up to par.

Would recommend my friends and family who are travelling in big groups to stay in this apartment hotel as the price is affordable if evened out per individual.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Only stay here if you're on a very tight budget. Although the apartment appeared clean at first, it soon became clear that it wasn't well kept: the tiles in the bathroom were broken, the pool was closed for most of the time we were there and the edge of the pool was chipped and unclean. The apartment had 3 rooms, a kitchen and a sitting room which made it good value, but everything was extra: you had to pay RM5 for cutlery and the TV only had a few channels which were weak and the quality was shocking. The main thing was that one room had a window looking out onto a wall which was covered in a ghastly mixture of paint and dirt which was so sick you could't even see the wall! Even the dullness of the wall would be better than the gross view of that area. Some of the plugs didn't work either and the shower was slow to get going and the loo slow to refill. We did a trip halfway through our stay and had rooms on different sides of the building each time and the one on the left of the lifts as you come out of the lifts were better, but still not great. The lifts too were dodgy as you felt they could break any minute. The food here was cheap, but I would recommend going to the 'Pick 'n' Pay' in the mall underneath the hotel instead. The Chinese restaurant there is very good too and does food at a very reasonable price (RM20 each for a large meal and soft drinks) and the takeaway Pizza place is also amazing and is extremely tasty. Otherwise, the location isn't great as it's on a major road (even if you can't hear it) but not very near the city center or near any other real amenities or attractions. It's also hard to get a taxi last-minute from the hotel so it's hard to get into the city to do anything. If you're a large family on a small budget it would suit you as it's good value as it can sleep 6 comfortably, but I still wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the left side of the lifts and use TRIVAGO to find the best price
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stay there for 3 nights. The pool was dirty. My dad went for a swim and couldn't stay it. The hotel supply us with gas, stove but no wok. When we request for a wok, additional fees is charge.

There are no wifi in room and the wifi in lobby are very slow. However, the thing I couldn't figure out is why we need to park in the basement of the shopping mall? we need to drag our luggage around in order to get to the hotel lift. Even better, they will lock the door after certain hour and we are force to search around to look for stair. The parking fee however can be waive by confirming your stay with your door card at the reception.

The lobby attendants told us that the breakfast was a buffet cost only rm 2.5. However, it wasn't. The breakfast is NOT a buffet and you are paying for what you're taking. The price is reasonable tho.

There are a grocery store in the shopping mall near the stair where you can get delicious food there too. So it was very convenient. They sell shampoo, even detergent too.

The most terrifying part was when my sister is lock inside the toilet due to the lock malfunction. The technician took about one hour to dismember the lock and open the door. It was in the midnight and we are very thankful for the technician prompt responce. However, I think they could do a better job such as maintaining the place and replacing the wear item before such incident happens.

The hotel was quite humid, we can see moss growing outside the windows. Inside was clean but there will be a lingering smell of humid. Since we not here to stay in the room i say it is reasonable for the price we are paying.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gracezchowzz
LikasSquareAptHotel, Manager at Likas Square Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Grace,

Thank you for your review. We trust our efforts taken to resolve your inconveniences on the same day that we received your feedback will regain your trust in us and we look forward to welcome you back soon. Do contact us directly at info@likassquare.com.my or visit our website at www.likassquare.com.my for exclusive return guests' deals.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Is 5 min outside KK town which bypass all the traffic jam. After long trip of seafood meal I can had hazard free traffic back to hotel. And the hotel is located near the main road, therefore going any places in KK is easy and simple. The hotel food is reasonable and the beer is cheap.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Socretus
LikasSquareAptHotel, Director of Sales at Likas Square Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Socretus,

Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Do contact us directly at info@likassquare.com.my for exclusive deals for your future stay and we look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

overall this place is very near to KK town. The unit are spacious and clean. The only thing they need to improve is the maintenance of the unit such as fixing the lightings & spoiled items in the unit.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Aaron A
LikasSquareAptHotel, Manager at Likas Square Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Aaron,
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcome you again during your next visit to Kota Kinabalu. Do contact us at info@likassquare.com.my for exclusive deals.

Thank you.

The Management.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I just checked in today and left comment here.When checked in, everything goes smooth. Took room at 4th floor. But, when req for higher floor, been rejected as room fully booked. One of my friend call to sales department and ask whether any higher room for rent, answer is yes. Then my friend call back to reception as she felt like being cheated. If cannot change as been assigned, tell us directly and do not tell us it is fully booked. Staff at reception further asked us to wait for while,she checks and try to arrange for us the higher floor. In the end, we changed a room to 13rd floor.

Now again we met a problem. Wifi problem. One of my friend from oversea who extremely needs the Internet req password from reception, for first time, they gave us for 6 pieces paper with different username & password. Unfortunately,we can't even search for the said wifi. After came back from outside, when pass by the reception, again my friend ask from them regarding the wifi issue. They give my friend another 4 pieces of paper written username & password. however, we still unable to connect the wifi. We think that maybe something wrong with the wifi, so I call to the reception ask for reason. A girl who answered my call, before I'm finished my question, she already answer that she try to check the network, and hang up my call immediately. Shocked me. I'm keep waiting for the call, and waiting ...waiting.... There's no one give me a call back. my friend finally call to operator and seek for duty manager. In within 5mins, the DM called back and informed us that he already inform the maintance department to restart the network. It's so disappointed and we hope our problem will fix soon. However, until now, the problem haven't solve yet.

Req for extra towel & toilet roll, needed to have extra charge. Understand about the extra charge for the towel, however the toilet roll, I think it's quite weird to have extra charge. 1 toilet roll for 6 person for 1 day?how can It be enough? Is that everyone use for 1 piece of toilet paper? Or the management expect us to use the water after go to toilet? Opppssss, sorry. I cannot accept it totally.

Stayed: March 2013
LikasSquareAptHotel, Manager at Likas Square Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We trust our efforts taken to resolve your inconveniences on the same day that we received your feedback will regain your trust in us and we look forward to welcome you back soon hopefully with the complimentary stay extended to you.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

i would say the staff of the "hotel" is helpful, but there are a lot to be done to the hotel itself.

The cleanliness of the apartment, the door way, the car park, the pool and so on.

I wouldnt ask for much for the price i am paying for, but the hygiene is not something i can compromise. to be fair, it is not that bad, if you dont mind bringing along ur mop, broom, and some cleannnig cloth ...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family