“Simple but comfortable”

Ranked #36 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
kuala lumpur
“Simple but comfortable”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Our group consisted of 46 pax, just out of the jungle of Borneo this hotel was heaven, no doubt everything is kept very simple it was nice to stay there,the rooms were spacious and there was no problem in twin sharing the swimming pool was small but very clean,the food at the in house coffee house was very good and of great variety, the staff and service was great people were very friendly and helpful, the location of this hotel is very central just a ten min walk to seafood heaven by the sea, very affordable prices,next to seafood heaven is the Philipino market were handicrafts are sold at reasonable prices but one has to bargain to get the best prices.another nearby seafood restaurant was Kampung Ayer the food was excellent and we could not believe how little we paid for what we had eaten. eg a large lobster for about us$ 20. The hotel is a ten min drive away from the airport, The jetty is also near to the hotel, from here one van take boat rides to the nearby island or visit the turtle sanctuary located at Gaya island.

Room Tip: ask for a river view room about level 3
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
australia
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This hotel had a great feel and we stayed twice within a fortnight. All staff were nice, friendly and helpful. The location was great for us. A refurb is overdue but everything we wanted was inplace and working. A great breakfast included in the price with Agoda. We booked a twin Suite to get a balcony. Also used the room service a lot without any promlems. No problems with the Tour Service either. Taxi drivers friendly and to be trusted. We will return to this hotel someday

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
bolton
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This was second time we have stayed there in 2 years,the room was large,but a little tired looking. The breakfast buffet was very good lots choices,the coffee superb we kept going back for more. The staff are also helpfull and friendly. Be aware the taxis, the hotel says one price and when you pay the taxi he gets angry and says not enough,so confirm price with driver before journey. Overall great stay at good price

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 July 2011

It's been some time since I set foot in Kota Kinabalu and hubby decided that we go on a spontaneous weekend trip (15-17 July 2011) with our 8-year old daughter and our best friends (a couple) who were on their first trip to East Malaysia. No mountaineering and far-away parks, just food and short getaways and relaxation kinda trip.

Hubby has stayed in Beverly before for his business trips and suggested this hotel to us. I am in the travel industry myself and has never stayed at this hotel. My friend was having her birthday on a Saturday and I wanted everything to go right. I read reviews on this hotel all over the Net and also called the Hotel to find out more information and details before I decided to book online (ours was a package tied with Air Asia while I booked theirs through Agoda as there was a big sale on rooms at that time and they could not get the same rate at the same time when I booked ours). I can't believe the amazing staff that they have at Beverly.

Firstly, our flight was arriving early at 1025 and I requested for an early check-in a few days before our departure. No hassles, agreed instantly! Then, I asked if their rooms really had a view as I read all the differing comments in here. Since it was my friend's birthday and their first visit to Sabah, I said it was ok that my room was without a view but theirs was with as I wanted them to have a nice experience.

And views we both got! The sunset views from our rooms were quite spectacular, actually! Secondly, we were on the 11 th Floor and our rooms were upgraded to Deluxe (mine) and Junior Suite (my friends) without any extra charges. Rooms were clean and spacious.

Thirdly, our check-in upon arrival was done quickly and efficiently by Ms Ann Marie, she is absolutely friendly and very informative, We were rushing off for lunch and to the Wildlife Park nearby and she gave me a map of the town area too. Despite Beverly not located smack in the middle of town, it was quite easy for us to move around as we had transportation and had friends in KK. It's actually quite easy to drive around with a city map and many of the places were actually quite near for us.

No complaints on the breakfast too, it was adequate for all of us and enough variety to satisfy us for 3 days. Did not sit down at the Tapai Lounge but the "live" band and singers at night were quite good! Melodious singing! My daughter loved the resident turtles at the hotel too!

And on the last day before our flight back to KL, I requested for a late checkout at 3pm and it was agreed with no hassles! No extra charges too! We also get to use the pool and gym free though we had no time for that.

All in, we had a pleasant stay at the Beverly and I will certainly go back there on my next visit!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We only stayed at the Beverly overnight as we were flying in one evening and out early the following morning. It was close to the airport but not noisy from outside at all. The room had thin walls though and we could hear the people next door. It is close to the main waterfront entertainment area (5 minute walk) We had a large room on the top floor which was very comfortable, although starting to show it's age. The staff were very helpful with our travel arrangements and arranged for our complimentary breakfast to be served to our room in the morning as we were leaving prior to the dining room opening.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewZealandHamptons
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Stayed here for a airline layover. Hotel very shabby, beds lumpy, view non-existent. Two in family got food poisoning from breakfast buffet. Not close to any shopping. Would never stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I spent two nights here and there is nothing special about this hotel. It is a little way from the town with no view to speak of and there is not much in the immediate area, though there is a bank opposite which has an ATM. They do run one complimentary shuttle service per day into the town and back, and a cab ride is not expensive. I only ate breakfast here, in a busy, unimpressive dining area. There was nothing wrong with the room and the bed was fine. There are nicer places near the water and night market, but if you are on a budget this place may suit you.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo