“Fantastic hotel and service”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Perth
“Fantastic hotel and service”
Reviewed 28 March 2011

It was our first holiday with our 5 months old baby and we were a bit worried about that. Le Meridien has helped a lot and made our stay as comfortable as possible, early check-in, late check-out, baby cot, etc. All these came so helpful when you have a baby. We were also upgraded to a seaview deluxe room which we enjoyed so much. Nice breakfast too, mixed with western, Malay and Chinese. The pool is great too. Of course the service was excellent. The location is so good as well. Love it.
The internet is not free but you can bring your laptop to the lobby for free wireless.
We have walked in to the Hyatt but we still prefer Le Meridien.
The only thing think it would have been better is if the room has night light as it can be so much easier to leave a night light on when you have a baby. You don't need to hurry to find a light switch when the baby cries in the middle of the night.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
Hello there thank you so much for sharing your experience. As a father of 3 I know all about the little things that make the difference when travelling with young children. I am glad we passed the test with one little one, I look forward to the challenge of welcoming you back the day you will have a couple of more that will be the real test. Your good comments and suggestion have been shared with all of us this morning, thank you very much
Alex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth W A
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Just returned from a week at KK, stayed at Le Meridien...easily persuaded by Mark to upgrade to the Royal Club...brilliant ! Superb view and room...Spotless...Staff extremely helpful & attentive especially for us 1st timers . Thank you Maxwell, Ade and crew in the Club...we were treated like royalty !..Did have a problem with the pillow selection. Food was excellent... Very central location...lots of help from concierge if reqd..... We will return for more of the same !

Hello Elaine hello Don
thanks a lot for your great feed-back which I have just shared with everyone in the team as a motivation to continue providing signature service. Let me know when you next visit would be lovely to meet up for a cup of tea.
Perth
Reviewed 26 March 2011

It looks like and feels like 4.5-5 stars hotel but disappointed with check in - the FIRST impression of hotel service. We booked and paid for an extra night so that we can check in early for a sleep ( on a midnight flight and I am a terrible sleeper onboard) before we meet up with friends (some from overseas as well - as we were having a mini-reunion). Two /three days before our arrival I emailed Reservation to confirm our intend ,didnt want them to think it was a "no show" and give our 5 nights booking away if we dont show on the 1st day,
We received a reply advising that our room (Royal Club room) had been blocked for our early-check in. Unfortunately that wasnt the case as we were told at check in that our room is not available and if its okay they put us in a delux room until the room we paid for became available - which should have been at 3pm the day before we actually arrived. It was disappointing that I had to insist that they give us the room we already paid for. Which they did - so why was it a problem initially?
On checkout , our request for late check out at 230pm was declined as they said that they have a big group checking in - at the same time?? We were told that we can have it until 2pm and would not give us the extra 30mins even though we explained that friends from Canada insisted on buying us lunch at 1230 and just incase we run alittle late. The answer given was "impossible" so we checked out at about 11am and left baggage in hotel. Would have been nice if they attempt in redeeming themselves for 'rocky' start ie check in. We would have been very willing to forgive and forget ,after all everyone make mistakes. :-) :-)
The staff in the Club lounge was generally pleasant - althought we only use the lounge briefly for internet access and breakfast twice (as our rates also include breakfast in the main restaurant) ,one afternoon tea and a drink or two. Our checkin infor slips advised that ONE GUEST is allowed per room and when we enquired if we can bring a guest for breakfast, we were told 'NO' they insisted that my husband is my 'guest' and vice versa so accordingly we are not allowed to bring ANY more guests unless we pay for all consumables or either my husband or I are not present and therefore the guest will takes one of our places. I pointed out to them that the room is booked under two persons' name - my husband and I. We are both paying guests but they disagreed on that. Confusion! On principle we didnt stay for breakfast not that we cant afford to pay for our guest - which would only be MYR40 approx AUD14!!!
Others commended it being in a good location - true for the shops and markets but it is the unpleasant side of town as the drains in the area smell really foul. Something should be done about it . A shame.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Hello thank you so much for bringing this up. I must admit your review gave me the perfect homework for the day. I have now reviewed the entire chronology of events and have a better understanding.

First of all on the room paid the night before hence expected to be ready upon your early morning arrival. Indeed that was a mistake and we were not prepared as we should have been by the time you came to the hotel. Under such circumstances I would like to refund you the charged night prior to your arrival as it is regrettable we have failed to provide what was promised.
I have also taken the opportunity to review the way we communicate club lounge benefits and I can now reassure you all will be clearer for the guests. Thank you for helping us with that.
Please contact me via the same email you have used to communicate prior to your arrival so that we can discuss the refund.
Looking forward to communicating with you soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 March 2011

The rooms were nice, but the breakfast was disappointing, even though selection was huge. The coffee, in particular, was the worst I've had in years.

Also, there is no WiFi in the rooms and wired internet costs about $12/day. When I pay $150/night, I would like to have free internet...

1 Thank nicothed
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 26 March 2011
Hello reviewer. Thank you for sharing your overall impression after staying with us. I am disappointed that the coffee served during breakfast was not up to your expectation. Illy is the brand we serve as part of Le Meridien standards and the usual feed-back we get is very positive. I will make sure we look into the preparation process to identify what could be the reason for your comments.
The good news is that wifi will be available in guest rooms starting mid April that will be a new facility for the convenience of our guests.
Give us another chance in the future whenever your travel plans bring you back to Kota Kinabalu and I will personally make sure your overall impression on our services and facilities will be a different one.
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Had an amazing two night stay at Le Meridian.

First of all, location, location, location. The hotel is right opposite the wet market and the Philippines Market. These two places is a must see for first time visitors to Sabah. The hotel is also close to shops and restaurants.

I stayed in a sea view deluxe room on the 10th floor, so the view is absolutely amazing. The room itself is super big (more space than I need, really), with comfy beds, nice bathrobe and slippers, LCD tv and a DVD player. The toiletries provided are nice and the bathroom itself is huge with marble wall and floors. There is a bathtub with a shower head and a walk in shower.

The buffet breakfast is good, with loads of dishes, buns, fruits and drinks to choose from. I like the fact that they serve you coffee or tea at your table so u don't have to get up for that. They also come to your table from time to time to offer their newer additions to the buffet menu and they also refill your juices, another thing u don't have to get up from your seat for.

But the best thing about Le Meridian is the impeccable services provided. The people at the counter are polite and they try to meet all your needs. The housekeeping was nice, I ended up with a nice goody bag of toiletries. The concierge was also so helpful with my flight booking and even checked me in online. I gave him my flight info in the morning and at the end of the day he was at my door with the boarding pass. Brilliant.

I have stayed in a few other hotels in Kota Kinabalu and this is my favourite by far.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
Hello Suzz wow what a review I think I can go on holiday knowing the team is doing such a great job. I am so pleased to see that you noticed the little things which we have introduced. Indeed I find it important to provide fruit juice service at the table instead of asking guests to stand up and keep getting new glasses which often are microscopic in hotels....
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, let me know when you next visit so that we can chat and see if there is anything else we could do to make your stay even more pleasant.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Stayed at the Le-Meridien KK deluxe room from 18th-21st March 2011. The staffs are friendly and very very helpful. The room is clean and if you don't like the smell of cigarettes, request for a non-smoking room because the smoking floor have an aweful smell. The rooms are fine. Large and very comfy bed. in room amenities is awesome! Had a seaview room on level 6. The view offered is really breathtaking because you will have a sunset view from the comfort of your room.

I really enjoyed my stay and i am starting to miss the hotel and KK itself. :(

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Good day Captain. Delighted you have had a great time with us and to know you miss us already. Dont worry we will be here still next time you plan to visit KK and will be determined to give you an even more pleasant experience.
Be well,
Tocumwal
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Stayed for 5 nights and loved it. The staff were excellent. Breakfast was the best I've had anywhere. The pool and gym were also great, especially the pool. Thought it was a nice touch to be invited for drinks with the staff, which apparently is done every week. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Hello Sue thank you very much for your lovely feed-back. Happy to know you enjoyed the breakfast, it will motivate the team even further to know you describe it as the best you ever had.
Indeed the weekly "Conversations Inspired" with all of our in house guests is something which we enjoy very much and will continue.
Travel safe.