“Best in all areas”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We stayed four nights at the Le Royal Club Suite at the end of April 2011.

Charming room which has been tastefully done up. The suite is very spacious and comfortable. The window is a bit small as compared to the deluxe rooms, thus compromising on the view. But we spent a lot of time at the Club Lounge where is view is much nicer, especially at sunset. The powder room next to the entrance is a plus for we do not need to go through the bedroom to use the toilet when our baby is asleep. The hotel is generous with toileteries, coffee/tea and drinking water, ensuring adequate supplies throughout our stay.

Although location is not as central as other hotels, its location is relatively good with a few shopping centres surrounding the hotel. About 10-15 minutes walk to Gaya Street; 5-10 minutes to the Ocean Seafood Village and right across the road from the Philipino Market and some eateries (Toscani Italian Restaurant, Coffee Bean, Portview Seafood Village, etc.).

We had access to the Club Lounge and our baby enjoyed roaming around the lounge a lot while we drank our coffee and enjoyed the view. Breakfast at the Club Lounge is limited to Western breakfast while the coffee house has a much wider selection (Asian as well as Western). However, we rather prefer the privacy of having our breakfast at the Club Lounge, as the coffee house can be quite crowded, especially on weekends.

Had a little trouble during lunch on our first day there, which is a Friday and it was full house. I was alone with my baby and we had to wait for more than half an hour for our food, which by then, my baby had got agitated and refused to eat when the food finally arrived. Other than that, the service was impeccable. The staff attempts to remember guests by their names and greets them with a smile.

It was really a pleasant stay and definitely one of the best hotels we stayed in. We will definitely be back the next time we are in KK!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Thank you for your thumbs up review I am glad we made an impression. Apologies for the lunch order taking half an hour which is definitely not our standard and I can reassure you it was an isolated incident however we are learning from it to further improve our system.
Looking forward to your next visit

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Reviewed 17 May 2011

Kota Kinabalu was our first destination upon arriving in Borneo, after 30 hours of travel, originating in Boston. When I was initially planning our trip to Sabah, I had assumed we would stay at the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru while we were in KK ... It also had excellent tripadvisor reviews, and I thought we may just really hang out at the resort, rest, and not venture out -- after all, it would only be two days, cocktails by a pool is appealing, and we would be tired . . . But then I got a 50% off coupon for a Starwood stay of my choice in the mail (my husband travels a lot for work and is Starwood Gold), and a club room at Le Meridien ended up costing just about $100 per night . . . it seemed far too good a deal to pass up, and all three nights would cost less than one night at the TA! I am so glad we ended up staying at Le Meridien, and looking back, it would have been the best choice even without that 50% coupon! It really was the perfect choice for us.

The location of Le Meridien is ideal, and I actually LOVED venturing out into the city. Both in KK and Sandakan (where we spent time later in our trip) everyone we met was so friendly and inviting. People literally touched my children's faces as they walked by, and at one point (in Sandakan) a woman who was in front of me in line turned around completely of her own will, looked at me, smiled, and said "Welcome to Malaysia." I am so glad that I had the chance, even though brief, to have those experiences. KK is a feast for the senses (at least for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in SE Asia), and just really shouldn't be missed!

Staying at a "Western-style" hotel turned out to be a good choice for us at the beginning of the trip as well. The breakfast buffet was incredible, and we all felt comfortable eating absolutely everything on offer. The kids were able to find things they liked easily . . . it was a good way to ease into things slowly. The truth is, Le Meridien is a chain hotel. It was very nice, but the hotel itself is, by no fault of its own, "generic". "Generic" worked for us at that point in our trip. I would rate Le Meridien very high for what it is -- everyone we met was friendly and helpful, the food was very, very good, the rooms were clean, familiar and spacious, the beds were super comfortable, and the bathrooms were very nice, with all of the amenities you would expect. . . . the view of the harbour from our room was fantastic! I'd say that the only thing that could be a little nicer is the pool area -- but even that suited our needs just fine (we only swam once during our stay because we were too busy doing other fun things!).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to know that the Starwood voucher arrived at the right time and allowed you to change the plans which would otherwise have directed to you another hotel. I am delighted that you felt comfortable staying with us and enjoyed the breakfast, the accommodation and the services provided by my colleagues. If that is the definition of "generic" then I am happy to take it :)

Reviewed 16 May 2011

very clean hotel near the beach & shopping area,cozy, helpful staff , cheap

i do not like the view in my room becuase i booked beach view put i also asian maeket
destroy beach view in my window.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2011

Thank you for sharing your impressions. Most importantly glad to know you had a good stay and found our hotel excellent value for money.
The fresh market in front of the hotel is indeed a complement to the way of living in KK. What I can do for you next time you visit is to assign your room on a higher floor so that the view will be mainly water and Gaya island if that is your preference.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

Came over to KK for a short break on a Malaysian Airline package - we had selected Le Meridien because of the city waterfront location and positive Tripadvisor reviews.

We were upgraded to a suite on arrival (had to pay additional club lounge rates, however). The suite was extremely comfortable and tastefully well-appointed and well-serviced with excellent views over the waterfront and picturesque bay with islands and boats. We enjoyed some lovely sunsets from the chaise longue in the bedroom.

Took a bit of fiddling to work out the tap in the shower - some instructions would be helpful.

Club lounge facilities and service were of a very high standard and are probably the nicest of any hotel we've stayed in. Loved the 180 degree views of the bay and islands from the lounge.

Friendly, efficient service from all the smiling, polite staff who are a credit to the establishment.

The breakfast buffet downstairs offers a wide range of local and Western fare, though we decided to take our breakfasts in the club lounge (which has a smaller Western style buffet) as it is quieter with beautiful views.

We had a hire car and parking facilties were very good.

Very conveniently located across the road from the markets (where we enjoyed a few BBQ dinners) and short walking distance to various shops, malls, eating establishments and amenities.

Don't listen to other reviews about the 'tired' rooms. It may not be a brand new, trendy establishment, but it is high quality tasteful accommodation, well-managed and well-maintained with a nice lived-in character.

Our only regret was we didn't stay long enough to take full advantage of the luxurious suite and club lounge facilties as we were using the hotel as a base for travelling to and from eastern Sabah and thus did not spend every night in the hotel although we kept our room the entire trip.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing stay and Le Meridien will be our first choice when we are next in KK. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SandgroperGirlPerth
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Thank you so much a great review which I read with interest appreciate your recommendation to other travellers.
I agree with you on the shower switch in fact we are in the process to change them to a lever type which will be easier to operate it will take a while as it a long process with the wall fitting to be redone but we will get there.
I hope you will have more time to enjoy the facilities when you next visit

Reviewed 11 May 2011

We stayed at the hotel at the beginning of April with friends and we had a fantastic time, the food was excellent, we had a problem with the plumbing but no sooner we told management we were upgraded to a suite which was superb. We we're made so welcome and the reserved breakfast and dinner table was such a lovely touch and would not have been as pleasant with out our new found friend Rodney he was just the best. We also found the Manager Alex to be very friendly and approachable and made us very welcome. I would like to thank the head chef for the skim milk which was excellent. Will definitely return in the near future. Cheers and all the best from KK6.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Hello Lilly great to have you at the hotel I have enjoyed our chats with the KK6. Happy to know Rodney and Rahim the chef looked after you and sourced the skimmed milk. Indeed ensuring any special request or preference are accommodated is something we enjoy doing as it make the difference.
Do let me know when you plan to return so that we will be ready for you.
Cheers,
alex

Reviewed 10 May 2011

My girl friend and I stayed a total of 3 nights at Le Meridien using our SPG points in April 2011. Overall the hotel is a good choice with very good and attentive service. It probably looks nicer on the outside and in the lobby compared to the rooms which feel a bit tired compared to other Le Meridien hotels (at least our room on the 9th floor).

Location is very good with the night market and waterfront esplanade just outside.

Breakfast was nice and not a complete rip-off at RM30++.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for being a Starwood Preferred Guest and utilizing the benefits the program is offering. I am happy to read you overall enjoyed your stay and found our service of a high level.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 May 2011

This was my first time in Kota Kinabalu and the Le Meridien, i stayed for 8 nights the location was just right for me as just be for leaving Australia i had an injury to my right knee, so walking distance just across the road was just great.
The breakfast is one of the best i have had (FANTASTIC) I do travel a lot for business and leisure.
My room facing the sea was great.
I used the Starwood Lounge all the time the staff were very friendly and very very courteous.
EXCEEDING ALL OTHERS.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.
Have a nice day
Frank J

Room Tip: Starwood Lounge is Sensational
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

Hello Frank well if you say it I will not disagree...
Thank you for your thumbs up, very encouraging for the entire team at the hotel and that extra motivation to continue doing what we must be doing well.
Appreciate your nice feed-back.