“Nice location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Guangzhou, China
“Nice location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

The hotel locates in the very center of the city. People could easily walk to famous night markets and seafood restaurant center. But hotel needs to pay more attention to details, especial in-room cleanness. However, hotel has a nice front office team. Reception and concierge were effective. Le Meridien KK is a nice hotel to have a rest after climbing mountain and scuba diving in Sabah.

Room Tip: Book with hotel official website.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you for your feed-back I see that overall you had a good time. I am however disappointed to read that room cleanliness was not up to standard and I am adressing that with our team to determine what caused the shortfall. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Alex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth Aus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

Tripadvisor reviews were a major contribution to my wife and I deciding to stay here for 10 nights. We were extremely pleased with the service we received from time of check in to room 625 sea facing deluxe room to check out. We have stayed in numerous hotels around the world and we rate the service we received at this hotel the best of them all. The room was big, comfortable and well serviced. Circle restaurant for all meals had a wide spread catering for various tastes and The Lounge served a really nice high tea. Conveniently located across the road is a good shopping centre, waterfront restaurants, night markets and laundry mat. We would not hesitate a city stay again in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ash10PerthAus
Very happy to read your review and how you rate us when compared to lots of other hotels you have visited around the world. That is definitely the best compliment.
Thank you for taking the time to recommend us.
Millicent, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

What can I say but it was great place to stay. I had booked two rooms, one for my 18 year old son and one for my wife and I. We stayed for 6 nights at the end of April 2011 to finish our Malaysian experience.

We had no problems booking in on arrival and were asked if we wanted to upgrade to the top floor with the personalised lounge and service, which we did. I cant remember exactly how much it cost for the 2 room upgrade but I think it was about $600.00 Australian. Which in essence was not a lot per room. I had read an entry in trip advisor recommending that you do this on arrival, we did and weren’t disappointed.

Would I recommend this to anyone, I certainly would it made a great difference to our stay.

All the staff were extraordinary helpful from the cleaning staff, the chaps who kept opening the doors for us at the front of the hotel, the front desk people, the concierge people, the lounge staff (on the 12th floor), the staff at Flames restaurant etc etc etc. I’m sorry if I missed anyone out.

The day we arrived in the room my wife just sat and looked at the view for ages, I then found the lounge and we sat and watched the view with the most beautiful sunset. (with a drink)

Rooms

We found them comfortable, lovely views well maintained and I don’t remember any problems with the bed, except they don’t seem to have top sheets just the bottom sheet and quilt. You can also ask for different pillows.

Lounge,

Was excellent. Staff were fantastic and breakfast was great, afternoon tea was excellent and they made quiet good coffee (which was hard to find in Malaya) with yummy things to eat. After that was happy hour with free drinks and yummy more food. It also had a business centre with internet access. The staff made our stay just great.

Flames restaurant

We only ate there once, we had been eating asian food for a month and wanted a steak with mashed potatoes and boy this was the place. Service was excellent, staff were excellent, the food was excellent and we were happy. Go and eat here.

Pool

Only went once as we explored the country everyday, again we were looked after.

Location

Yep, the right spot. The wet and produce market were right in front of us. The market went on and on an on. The smell outside the hotel was different each day but that was all part of the experience. There was a laundry down from the hotel that was cheap and perfect, turn left going out of the hotel turn left at the street next to the hotel and walked down 2 blocks and it located on the right somewhere.

Everything was in walking distance. The waterfront food and drinks were on the left on the waterfront as you leave the hotel. Lots more in town but we didn’t go. We ate on the water front most nights. The big Chinese restaurant with the large fish tanks wasn’t anything special and I wish we had not gone there.

Cold Beer.

The 2 English style pubs on the water front had cold beer on tap which was a god send for an Australian.

Day trips

The staff at the lounge organised the trips I wanted to do which was different to the package tours. The price we paid we got a comfortable modern limosines ( really just upmarket cars) were much cheaper that the tour companies and the bonus was that the drivers new where to go. It also meant that we could change our minds about times.

Day trip to Australian War Memorials

We found that the tour companies didn’t understand that Australians might want to visit to important memorials to Australian (British, Dutch and Malay) POWs and forced slaves. For those who don’t know, the Japanese Army at the end stage of world war 2 instigated what has become the Sandakan death marches where over 2000 POWs were starved to death or murdered on a 260kms death march through inhospitable terrain which concluded at a place called Ranau.

There are 2 places to visit, a memorial garden at a place called Kundasang (you need to have some cash on you to enter) and then another is a small memorial at Ranau to one Australian where he was chained to a stake for 11 days and abused and latter died.

Both places are very moving and worth visiting to pay ones respects. I believe that the war graves is on an island called Labuan which I believe you can reach from KK by plane or boat.

Conclussion

My son learnt to dive at Dive Down Below (see trip advisor) and gained his open and advanced diving tickets which he just loved. Picked up and delivered to the hotel front door.

My wife and I explored the area and enjoyed just enjoyed the facilities of the hotel.

If I was to travel back to Borneo this would be the place I would stay, I cant recommend it enough.

Tips

We could have given the hot springs a miss, really enjoyed a orchid farm and butterfly house (don’t know where it was) but south west of KK and in the mountains, excellent.

Upgrade. Worth it.

Visit the chinese markets on sunday morning, they were the best markets.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Dirttdog
Well what to add...you said it all. Thank you so much for noticing the essence of why travellers like to stay with us. And I am glad our new addition Flames - probably the only steak restaurant of this nature in town - was a good addition to your experience.
I am sure others will find your review on the hotel and Kota Kinabalu very useful.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

The Management sent an email informing us of our stuff that was left behind in our room. We did intentionally left some stuff in the room. 1st time a Hotel telling us this. Thanks!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sanyALGER
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
Thank you for recognizing the efforts of the team in doing all we can to reunite our valuable guests with their important belongings. This is something we are very particular about as we feel that simply waiting for a guest to call us is not good enough.
Your appreciation has been passed on to the section looking after this area to reassure them how important this is.
Hope to have you back one day.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

We stayed four nights at the Le Royal Club Suite at the end of April 2011.

Charming room which has been tastefully done up. The suite is very spacious and comfortable. The window is a bit small as compared to the deluxe rooms, thus compromising on the view. But we spent a lot of time at the Club Lounge where is view is much nicer, especially at sunset. The powder room next to the entrance is a plus for we do not need to go through the bedroom to use the toilet when our baby is asleep. The hotel is generous with toileteries, coffee/tea and drinking water, ensuring adequate supplies throughout our stay.

Although location is not as central as other hotels, its location is relatively good with a few shopping centres surrounding the hotel. About 10-15 minutes walk to Gaya Street; 5-10 minutes to the Ocean Seafood Village and right across the road from the Philipino Market and some eateries (Toscani Italian Restaurant, Coffee Bean, Portview Seafood Village, etc.).

We had access to the Club Lounge and our baby enjoyed roaming around the lounge a lot while we drank our coffee and enjoyed the view. Breakfast at the Club Lounge is limited to Western breakfast while the coffee house has a much wider selection (Asian as well as Western). However, we rather prefer the privacy of having our breakfast at the Club Lounge, as the coffee house can be quite crowded, especially on weekends.

Had a little trouble during lunch on our first day there, which is a Friday and it was full house. I was alone with my baby and we had to wait for more than half an hour for our food, which by then, my baby had got agitated and refused to eat when the food finally arrived. Other than that, the service was impeccable. The staff attempts to remember guests by their names and greets them with a smile.

It was really a pleasant stay and definitely one of the best hotels we stayed in. We will definitely be back the next time we are in KK!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Thank you for your thumbs up review I am glad we made an impression. Apologies for the lunch order taking half an hour which is definitely not our standard and I can reassure you it was an isolated incident however we are learning from it to further improve our system.
Looking forward to your next visit
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

Kota Kinabalu was our first destination upon arriving in Borneo, after 30 hours of travel, originating in Boston. When I was initially planning our trip to Sabah, I had assumed we would stay at the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru while we were in KK ... It also had excellent tripadvisor reviews, and I thought we may just really hang out at the resort, rest, and not venture out -- after all, it would only be two days, cocktails by a pool is appealing, and we would be tired . . . But then I got a 50% off coupon for a Starwood stay of my choice in the mail (my husband travels a lot for work and is Starwood Gold), and a club room at Le Meridien ended up costing just about $100 per night . . . it seemed far too good a deal to pass up, and all three nights would cost less than one night at the TA! I am so glad we ended up staying at Le Meridien, and looking back, it would have been the best choice even without that 50% coupon! It really was the perfect choice for us.

The location of Le Meridien is ideal, and I actually LOVED venturing out into the city. Both in KK and Sandakan (where we spent time later in our trip) everyone we met was so friendly and inviting. People literally touched my children's faces as they walked by, and at one point (in Sandakan) a woman who was in front of me in line turned around completely of her own will, looked at me, smiled, and said "Welcome to Malaysia." I am so glad that I had the chance, even though brief, to have those experiences. KK is a feast for the senses (at least for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in SE Asia), and just really shouldn't be missed!

Staying at a "Western-style" hotel turned out to be a good choice for us at the beginning of the trip as well. The breakfast buffet was incredible, and we all felt comfortable eating absolutely everything on offer. The kids were able to find things they liked easily . . . it was a good way to ease into things slowly. The truth is, Le Meridien is a chain hotel. It was very nice, but the hotel itself is, by no fault of its own, "generic". "Generic" worked for us at that point in our trip. I would rate Le Meridien very high for what it is -- everyone we met was friendly and helpful, the food was very, very good, the rooms were clean, familiar and spacious, the beds were super comfortable, and the bathrooms were very nice, with all of the amenities you would expect. . . . the view of the harbour from our room was fantastic! I'd say that the only thing that could be a little nicer is the pool area -- but even that suited our needs just fine (we only swam once during our stay because we were too busy doing other fun things!).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to know that the Starwood voucher arrived at the right time and allowed you to change the plans which would otherwise have directed to you another hotel. I am delighted that you felt comfortable staying with us and enjoyed the breakfast, the accommodation and the services provided by my colleagues. If that is the definition of "generic" then I am happy to take it :)
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

very clean hotel near the beach & shopping area,cozy, helpful staff , cheap

i do not like the view in my room becuase i booked beach view put i also asian maeket
destroy beach view in my window.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Thank you for sharing your impressions. Most importantly glad to know you had a good stay and found our hotel excellent value for money.
The fresh market in front of the hotel is indeed a complement to the way of living in KK. What I can do for you next time you visit is to assign your room on a higher floor so that the view will be mainly water and Gaya island if that is your preference.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#3 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,298 reviews
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Eden54
#2 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,144 reviews
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!