“Great Hotel in a great central location”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Le Meridien in Kota Kinabalu is a first class resort. My family and I left the resort yesterday and wished our stay was longer. The service from all staff was excellent and extremely helpful in all aspects. Rooms very neat and tidy. I would highly recommend staying at this resort especially for families. Our thanks to the General Manager Mr Riva and all his staff. A resort to be proud of. Regards David,Bianca & Family Perth WA.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank David C
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Bianca and David it has been a pleasure to have you as our guests for the week I enjoyed our chats and I look forward to your next visit.
Alex

Write a ReviewReviews (2,267)

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We got a free upgrade to a better room on a higher floor facing the ocean, and the view was AMAZING! Be sure to get a room facing the ocean on a higher floor to really enjoy what the hotel has to offer. It is located right across the street from the water, with a view of the open market and fishing boats on the water.

I enjoyed the room so much. It was spacious, nice big windows, beautiful view, large marble bathroom, good water pressure, clean room. Lobby and the room was beautiful, decadent.

Service was quite slow at the front desk, but ok. I feel like they tried to make our stay really nice, but for whatever reason, checking in and out took forever. Internet had some problems, but they resolved it before we left and did not charge us. The housekeepers who cleaned the rooms were really very nice to us and kept the room clean.

I slept well, we had a great stay!

On a side note... the hotel is located in a part of town that could be conceived as dirty or dangerous by some people, however, I disagree. I think the area surrounding it has a lot of character, a nice night life area next to the water, and local shops and food places. You could find some good bargains here. however, do not try to buy things over by the water, it is a tourist trap and overpriced. Check out the Indian food stalls and stores on the side opposite the water, back of the hotel. As always, don't bring too much money, look too much like a tourist at the risk of being a target. The area gets nicer as you walk towards the hyatt. It is fun and a very walkable city. People are friendly and the food is fantastic! Enjoy!

Room Tip: higher floor, facing the ocean
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GuamVegan

I am glad you slept well...isn't that the most important in a hotel. I am sure the upgrade helped and although that is not something we can do for everyone the good news is that for a reasonable supplement that is available and we have a few interesting options for sure.
The suggestions for improvement are well noted and trust me we continue to look at every opportunity to improve allowing to stay on top among our friendly competitors.
I am sure travellers will also appreciate your tips on the surroundings and I agree with you our neighborhoods indeed have character.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have stayed at Le Meridian KK (4) times now and i am also a starwood member. This trip was the first time i made my booking for the hotel via Venere.com. The last few times i booked directly from Le Meridien's website. The room i was given was suite at club class but the bed was absolutely dreadful. It had poor springs, made noises when you turn, sank in the middle and coupled with cheap pillows and the outcome was miserable when you look at what was paid, about rm 600 - 700 per night! We asked for a room change and from the 11th floor we were moved to another suite in the 4th floor. No complaints about the room size etc, but again the bed was shocking. The same sunken mattress, makes noise each time you turn, springs were gone and two horrible pillows, nothing that commesurates to the amount of money spent per night. All in all this was way my worse stay in Le Meridien KK, and I seriously am reconsidering this hotel for my next trip as I have busineses in KK and come down very often. I am wondering whether this is deliberately done for customers who purchase hotel rooms on the 'cheap' through other hotel websites. If these have been blocked and cheaper items put in them to make it worth it.

Room Tip: Dont buy rooms using the cheap hotel website options! you might get the room i got.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

First of all thank you so much for being such a loyal guest. We definitely would like to continue you having with us for all your travels to Kota Kinabalu. Let me reassure you that the experience you had is in no way related to the fact that you booked on line. We do provide all our guests with the best possible facilities and yes we must admit that sometimes there are shortfalls resulting in your feed-back, however I can exclude that there are different attentions based on different rates. We would not be in the position we are today as a leading hotel in the city if that was the case. I have no excuses for the quality of the beds you have been assigned and I can only hope you read this so that you can get in touch with me and I will do all I can to reassure you we want you to return and our team will be at your service to provide you another memorable experience the next visit.
Thank you for bringing this up it helps us to improve that is our first priority.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2012

The atmosphere is not stiff and not intimidating...(I came in bermudas and my fav quicksilver gear..and yes. flip flops too..hey, I'm on a holiday. Its a 'business folks' hotel I was told)..and still was greeted with a friendly warm welcome..

Rooms are g-r-e-a-t.. a deluxe or superior is spacious. No silly design of 'see thru' bathroom..just simply what a good room hotel should be (well stock fridge, excellent bed, clean, very very comfortable, quiet, cosy, really good bathroom..and get this..all for +/- US$130). Ok..swimming pool is so so. (Anyway...why do you want to waddle in a pool when you're 30mins away from glorious Manukan and Sapi islands..) Fine, no having breakfast in the garden (like we always used to have at.....a nearby resort) BUT..its just as excellent.

The best part is you can go and walk around town..taxi is easy..surrounded by good places to eat..restaurant to street stalls...(and money changer)..night spots are just across the road..drink and eat with a sunset view..mouth watering seafood!

Of course, they also have a good tour agent..takes you all over Sabah from the hotel. You folks coming over to KK, stay here (no, I don't get paid saying this), its good value for money.

On the minus side..may not work out for families with small children (pools, children activities, baby sitters..etc). Wi Fi (broadband) is not free.

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view are better.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pedas
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Indeed we did not pay you to recommend us but your review is so inviting that an Illy Cappuccino will be on us for sure when you return. And I promise you we will serve you breakfast outdoor if that is the only reason which led you to miss the resort where you used to stay :)

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have just checked out and waiting in the lounge bar for our transfer to the airport. We stayed here for 5 nights with another couple and from the very start we knew this was a special hotel. We had rooms on the 12th floor - Club Rooms with unlimited access to the wonderful facilities / food/ drinks on offer in the Club lounge, from breakfast to high tea and then cocktails - everything was fresh and tasty.
Our rooms were huge with beautiful furnishings and very comfortable king size bed. The bathrooms were lovely with great towels, robe and toileteries. A wall of windows looked down to the harbour side markets, restaurants and the harbour and islands beyond.
The staff are very special here - all so attentive to your every need, even before you know you need it! We enjoyed our meal in Flames restaurant (the steaks were perfect) and Tamara was a wonderful, attentive and entertaining waitress.
We spent most afternoons beside the pool and enjoyed Hairul's exqusite pina coladas on more than one occasion.
There is also a spa and the massage I had was heavenly, just the thing to relax after a boat trip out to the islands.
As I said, the staff are exceptional here, no doubt due to the influence of Alex Riva the manager who is always available for a chat and it shows that he is so proud of his hotel. We would definately stay here again if we were to return to KK and will recommend it to our friends.
We are sad to leave - it already feels like home.

Room Tip: The Club rooms are definately worth the extra charge
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank clapnpam

Well with colleagues like Tamara and Hairul any general manager would be proud !
Thank you for your kind feedbacks which encourage us to continue to do all we can to stay on top.
Regards,
alex

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed here only one night, but the service was very good. The room was good and comfortable - overlooking the water, which was lovely in the evening with the lights from the boats, and just across the street was a traditional market. The funniest thing I remember was the size of the bathrobes - teeny tiny, while the slippers were enormous. What impressed me most was the exceptional selection at the buffet breakfast. Yum!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank WItravelingirl

Happy to report that a new bathrobes have arrived some weeks ago so you will feel you have lost weight the next time you visit :)
Always encouraging to know the service was good and the breakfast was enjoyable. These are areas which are important to us.
alex

Reviewed 28 March 2012

If you are also captivated by the adventurous name, and are thinking of traveling to Kota Kinabalu, don't even think of staying at any place other than the Le Meridian. And, when the check in clerk suggests an upgrade to Club Status upon check in, Go For It! The view from the lounge is World Class, and you may find yourself having not only your breakfast, but also your cocktails and snacks there, everyday. The hotel is very central. Taxis are so easy to arrange tours with, there is no real need to take tours, just pick your attractions and go. I recommend the Sunday Market on Gaya St., Lok Kawi Wild Life Park, The Sabah State Museum, and a private morning motorboat snorkling tour to three of the off shore islands. Packing drinks is a good idea. All are short trips which allow you to clean up and return to the privileged service of da Lounge! The seafood restaurants across from the hotel, in my opinion, are not as good as those in town, or eating at the hotel. There are food courts for lunch in the malls.

Room Tip: The so called Filipino Market across the street has higher prices than shops in town. Most of the pe...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DonBosque

How can I disagree with you ? Thank you for taking the time to remind us how lucky we are to be in such a privileged location.
Regards,