“Great hotel"”

Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Sepang, Malaysia
“Great hotel"”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The bellboy got to our luggage before we were out of the taxi, very good start. A little hiccup during check in (and check out too), but overall we had a great stay. The view from the deluxe seaview room was spectacular. Room was really spacious with huge bathroom and the bed was comfy. The free coupons for coffee at the lounge was a nice touch. We booked two rooms, had the evening turndown service only in one room but it was lovely to come back to chocolates and fruits in the evening. The breakfast buffet was a good spread with lots of varieties. I especially loved the flakey buttery almond croissant, i had 3!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aziahmy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
malaysia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Was on a business trip in september 2013. The hotel was not impressive for such a prestigious brand. The check in was ok with poor greeting with no warmth. The rooms were large but the fixtures and finishings were poorly done. The aircon rattled like no tomorrow in the middle of the night and i fixed it myself by turning it to low. The bathroom feels grimy and the bath tab was old with chips and lots of scratches. The check out the next morning was very early and had to wait for the person who was not at the front desk. When he came, there was no smile nor apology as if i have inconvenienced him.

The good point was the sunset. Sunset in kota kinabalu is the best and the most romantic in the world. Having said that, there is many other hotels along the city where one can see and appreciate it. This hotel needs so much work... Not worth the money or effort.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the sunset if one is on a romantic getaway. Its really worth it. Kota kinabalu...
2 Thank ntlchin
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Hello nitchin,

Thank you for taking the time to complete feedback from your recent stay with us.

I would like to apologise for the lack or warmth and care shown by our reception associates - I have addressed this with our Front Office Manager to ensure we take immediate action. This is not an acceptable welcome or farewell from the hotel and something that we need to address.

Please let me know if you are coming back to KK and staying with us in the future.

Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Friendly receptionist, nice beach view, comfy looking spacious lobby. Clean room with all the necessity that travellers need. Situated next to centre point and warisan square. Nearby there is waterfront, good for a drink for those who wanted to relax while looking at those mysterious blue sea. Shuttle bus available for hotel guest to go to one borneo hypermall. Transportation and food are the most convenient and readily available necessity. Food variety kinda limited though n menu remain unchanged for breakfast. Other amenities such as pool, fitness centre n spa are fine though. good for those who wanted to enjoy their holiday with certain level of luxury.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Adeline W
Hello Adeline,

Sounds like the Le Meridien was a perfect hub for you as you did some exploring whilst you were here. Thank you for sharing your input with others so they understand the location of the hotel.

Your feedback on breakfast is noted and I have already provided some feedback to our culinary team to look at this. We do have an expansive offering but perhaps it is time to review!

Please let me know if you travel back through KK again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed in a Club Suite. Our rooms were massive The service throughout the hotel was very good. We didn't hear any noise from our room. We didn't smell any fish from the market and I hate the smell of fish. We had a very restful time in our 4 nights.

Room Tip: Suite worth every cent/ringet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aliflem
Hello aliflem,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your positive feedback from your stay with others. I am delighted that you found your stay restful and enjoyed the service from our associates.

Please let me know if you intend to visit Kota Kinabalu again in the future.

Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed here for 3 weeks while on a business trip to Kota Kinabalu. The hotel is right in the center of downtown. It's a business hotel, catering to the higher end of the business trade, not a resort hotel.

Although the hotel has a few strong points, the 12th floor business lounge and the inherent courtesy of the Malay employees being two examples, there are more problems here than a guest should experience when paying about USD $180 per night. For example:

1) Housekeeping standards are low, and some areas of the hotel - notably carpets - are very dirty.

2) The building itself is not properly maintained. My room had two major water leaks, one from the windows and one from the exterior wall. Both were bad enough to flood over one square meter of carpet at each end of the room.

3) Internet access is a disaster. The hotel is not buying sufficient bandwidth to meet guest needs, and the result is continual disconnections from the office VPN, Microsoft Exchange servers, etc. As if that wasn't bad enough, even if you buy the $30 a day breakfast and internet package, the hotel internet system cuts you off (logs you out) every 24 hours.

4) The property needs reinvestment. The mattress in my room was lumpy and past its 'best before' date. The carpet had large water stains on it, with mould growing along the baseboard. The televisions, which were probably super-modern when the hotel opened many years ago, are now small by comparison with what any other $180 a night hotel provides.

5) Walls between rooms are paper-thin. You can hear everything that is going on in the room next door - conversations, toilet flushes, grunts, moans, the works.

The owner/operator of this hotel needs to decide whether they want to fish or cut bait. It's long past the time when the above problems should have been addressed. If this hotel wants to stay competitive in the high end of the market, they need to recruit some expatriate staff to run housekeeping and engineering, and reinvest some money in refreshing what has become a tired and run-down property.

The Shangri-La Tanjung Aru is a much better choice for a traveller looking for a top quality hotel in Kota Kinabalu. It is a true resort, not a downtown business hotel. And, more important, the folks who operate the Shangri-La pay attention to the details.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms might suffer less from outside traffic noise.
2 Thank solotravellerCanada
Hello solotraveller.

Thank you for taking the time to share your very constructive feedback with us from your stay.

Since you have departed the hotel we have taken the necessary maintenance steps on the room during your stay. This did include additional waterproofing on the exterior of the building which ensures that the problem does not reoccur. This was an isolated incident and one that unfortunately we do not learn about until we experience heavy directional rains like we had during your stay.

We are in the early stages of planning a renovation of the hotel which will address some of the issues you mention related to carpet, facilities in the guest room etc. In the interim we have initiated a program in the hotel that is refreshing our existing rooms. I can only agree that we do not yet have the large flat screen TV's or other facilities as you may find in more recently built hotels but I can assure you we have plans to address this.

The internet is both a speed and connection issue which we are addressing, I am sorry that this was not done before your stay with us. We will be upgrading our speed to 30MB to address the speed concerns by the end of the year and at the same time installing a solution to the connection challenges.

I hope that you will try our hotel again if you visit Kota Kinabalu again in the future.

Fiona
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel, it took me about a 15 minute wait to check-in at the reception at the main lobby due to fairly laid back service. As I was in no rush, I just patiently waited for my turn to be served. I was then given our room keys and proceeded to my room #612. Upon opening the room door there strong smell of what was obviously cigarette smoke when I specifically made a reservation for a non-smoking room and it was a non-smoking floor. I called the hotel operator and tried to get the front desk on the line in an attempt to get my room changed but it was busy so I was told I would be called back. After a half hour wait, there was still no call back. I called the operator back and demanded that someone come to attend to me at the room immediately. After yet another ten minutes of waiting in the smoky smelling room I decided to head to the lobby myself to get the situation rectified. On the way out of the room, a friendly hotel employee came rushing to me and apologised for the delay and had for me new keys for a different room. The new room assigned to me is much better and also what I had expected to get when I first arrived at this 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Do not take room #612
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hello ganzri,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay and highlighting your non-smoking preference. We have introduced recently a charge of MYR 300 for any guests who is staying in a non-smoking room who chooses to smoke, to enable us to thoroughly clean the room. This is a very new introduction for us and it seems that from your feedback I need to further reinforce this with our housekeeping team.

I am terribly sorry as I know how disturbing this experience could be. I do hope that you will consider to stay with us again on your next visit to Kota Kinablau.

Melbounre, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The hotel is in the centre of town, and is very convenient for shopping and using as a base to do some tours. We got an ocean view room and it was really nice to look out at the distant islands. the night market and fruit market is across the road and plenty of food outlets to choose from.
Upon entering, the lobby looks really nice and glam and service from the concierge to front desk is great. Unfortunately once you head up to your room, each floor has an old carpet mouldy smell (well at least level 9 did) and our room was full of ants around the mini bar & bathroom. We understand that this is a tropical location so you get ants etc. but I did not expect it in a major hotel. We stayed in other hotels in Malaysia and KK and none of those had ant problems. This meant we were unable to keep any food in the room outside of the fridge, even dropping a crumb would see a swarm of ants appear.
Furthermore, our pillows were stained yellow. We managed to get a hold of house keeping as they were cleaning our floor, they changed our pillows but they were unable to remove the ant problem.
on the plus side, the buffet breakfast was an amazing spread of tasty food, the pool was nice overlooking the ocean. You can book tours onsite, but its cheaper to find the tour companies within the shopping centres.
If you are heading out to dinner, and need a break from malay food, i recommend Grazie italian restaurant in Suria Sabah shopping mall, the chef is from Italy and he cooks like an italian mother would. The buffet dinner at the hotel cost RM90++, it visually looked nice, but when you could get some yummy chicken rice from the food court at the shopping mall for RM3, it made no sense to spend the money on the buffet.

Room Tip: Ensure you get an Ocean view room Room 921 has ants Level 9 carpet smells
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hello Hashimoto,

Thank you for sharing your very honest feedback from your recent stay with us. I must sincerely apologise for your experience with Ants in your guest room. We have had a challenge in the past with Ants and we have been able to overcome this through working with our pest control specialist. Since your feedback we have spent days in this room with our specialist trying to recreate the same experience though it seems that for whatever reason we are not able.

I did want to assure you that we take this very seriously and will continue to monitor this room and those around it.

Please do let me know if you would like to come and visit us again in KK.