Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Grandis(Kota Kinabalu)
US$166
US$159
  • Breakfast included
Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa(Kota Kinabalu)
US$283
US$252
Agoda.com
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$110
Horizon Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$104
US$81
Trip.com
US$202
US$145
Agoda.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$62
US$58
US$161
US$115
  • Breakfast included
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$47
US$55
US$47
  • Restaurant
2,328 results
All reviewsnight marketspg memberthe club loungesea viewseafoodthe general managerfish marketlocal markettour deskcentral locationwet marketthe south china seaan upgradebreakfast spreaddvd playerwater frontspacious room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 20/9 to 22/9

Rooms
Its spacious but generally old fashioned. Renovation is required really!

Gym
They operate from 6 to 10, this is very inconvenient. They should open 24/7 given that other spg hotel also open 24/7 in other country.

Housekeeping
Not so good as i found ant over the table and there was ant clawing over my body when I was sleeping! Further, I found hair and dust under the work table in our room. Impovment is required!

Better than other hotel in Malaysia! Front desk staffs are nice!

Transport
There should be shuttle bus to and from airport provided by the hotel! The taxi in KK is way over priced! Solely base on the high transportation costs, I will never go back to Malaysia! I would rather go to Thailand or Bali anf spent the transportation costs on a better accommodation!

Conclusion
Good location, but renovation is needed! Unless you have no other choice to come to KK, you stay in this average hotel, otherwise do not even visit Malaysia, you will end up spending all on petrol!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank KKKMo
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Hello KKKMo,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

The good news is that we are in the stages of planning for a renovation that will start in 2014, which will refresh the lobby, restaurants and guest rooms! Our focus at the moment in the guest rooms is to ensure that we have very clean and comfortable rooms for our guests, this is something that we clearly failed on in your case. I do hope you either notified one of our staff or if you could send me a personal note to notify me your room number so we can address and retain our housekeeping team on this floor.

Whilst it doesn't change your experience, I can confirm that by the middle of October we will be installing guest room card access to our fitness center on the 2nd floor to enable guests to use this facility 24 hours a day. This has taken a little longer then I would of liked but I am pleased we will be able to extend this offering to our guests.

We do have fixed prices for taxi services and I know the price does vary for airport transfer depending on the time of the day between RM 30 - RM 55 each way. I will pass your comments related to the price of taxi services in KK to the local authorities for consideration and discussion.

Thank you again, I do hope you will choose to visit KK and the hotel again once we have renovated - plan for the end of 2014 or 2015!

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

The highlight of the hotel was the service! The front desk, tour desk, bellmen, room service, and restaurant staff were all very helpful. I especially found Sylver at the bell desk to be very helpful. The pool was quite nice as well. Additionally, we enjoyed the entertainment in the lounge. The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance to many shops and some restaurants, including the waterfront night market. Although I would not recommend eating at the market, it is worth looking around.

The room while large and clean was a bit dated and run down. The furniture was a bit worn and old, and is in need of updating, given my expectations of a Starwood property. The selection of TV channels was a bit limited given the international clientele. As I stayed at another more modern hotel in KK on another trip through town, I know there are better room standards, but not nearly the excellent service of the Le Meridien.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoInCo
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My 2011 review for this hotel is ambivalent, and I decided to give it another try, but I was disappointed.

The good
Location is great; it is in middle of the city, at the sea, and only 15 minutes from the airport.
Rooms are specious, and clean.
Service and courtesy was great. They are friendly tried everything to help.
The bad
Rooms old and tired, and badly maintained.
Carpets have a terrible smell
I first got room on the 8th floor, and smell was unbearable, in addition, air-condition was leaking water, and also had a terrible smell.
They called maintenance, but the air-condition problem wasn’t something to be fixed in a few minutes, and I intended to have a room, not a working zone, and I also couldn’t take the smell.
They changed me to the 10th floor (bigger room). Not that there was no bad smell there, since you feel that dusty smell in the entire hotel, but it was much better.

In short, service is good and friendly, but infrastructure is falling apart.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nomad6022

Dear nomad6022,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback from your recent stay!

I am terribly sorry that you had the experience and impressions that you did whilst staying in the hotel. Whilst we are in the early stages of planning for a renovation of the hotel in 2014 this is no excuse for the air conditioning not to be working and the dusty smell in the corridors and guest rooms.

We were aware of a challenges over the past couple of months during to the particularly high levels of humidity and have increased the levels of air flow to our floors, but this is obviously something that we need to review with the team again, thank you for highlighting it.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 21 September 2013

A wonderful hotel for many reasons. A stone's throw to the open sea, if your room faces the wharfside like how mine was, you get to wake up to the picturesque view of a pristine blue stretch meeting the open horizon, to be interrupted in certain angles by lush green islands and glimpses of the Sabah water village. Fresh catch is brought in by tug boats, sold around the stalls nearby as fresh or dried seafood. These stalls that also serve meals are less than a minute's walk from the lobby.

The lobby itself is an impresive space very reminiscent of new hotels. It opens to the restaurant by the right side convenient for the complimentary breakfast. The staff is accommodating but the lobby seems to have seen alot of hustle and bustle, seeing that the hotel is of preferred choice for the corporate demography.

On the rooms, the floors are at first quite perplexing with its mazy corridors that split and fork into sections of rooms. Mine involves finding the right passage way, a few meanders and finally a room that is quite generous in space for the value, it could easily host a soiree of 20-30 friends. The wide windows are the highlight of the room, letting in the sunshine for a feel like home. Big TV and every appliance that you would need like an iron with board, hairdryer, water heater all provided. It is easy to list this hotel for say a month long stay in the wonderful city of Kota Kinabalu. The only gripe is the traffic but if you schedule your excursions well there should not be a problem.

Will return to this hotel for future stays.

Room Tip: Request an oceanview room. Not sure if this will incur additional charges but it is a stark difference to a morning view of buildings and alleys nearby.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Hello shaiomarali,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. Its sounds like you really had an adventure when you were here on excursions, exploring the markets over the road.

Please come back and visit us again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Most of the people would write their review after they completed their stay. But for me, I want to share the experience while I am experiencing it.

I just checked in today for two connecting deluxe rooms at about 1 pm. I was told only one room was ready and the other one was not as the previous guest has just checked out and they needed some time to make up the room. I was told the official check in time is at 3 pm. However, when I called them at 3 pm to check whether the room was ready, the answer was they will check and get back to me. I waited for some time and no one got back to me. I made another call and was informed that the duty manager just checked the room and it was not ready. I insisted on talking to the duty manager. Upon speaking to her, she denied that she had checked the room and will check on that. I realized there is inconsistency here. Subsequently, she came up and brought the keys to the room and told us the room is still not ready. Several minutes later another person I believe from the front desk knocked the door and brought two more keys. Despite this, he also told us the room is still not ready. Again I'm puzzled. Too many keys but the room still not ready.

Finally, someone from housekeeping came and told us the room is ready. It was after 3 hours of waiting.

The drama does not stop there. While I am writing this review, suddenly I noticed that my room door was opened. I am really shocked as how could some other people could have the keys to my room. The person who opened the door was also shocked. Apparently, he is another guest who just checked in and was given the same room as the one assigned to me. I made a call to the duty manager and upon checking she mentioned that there was a mistake as the front desk did not verify the identity of the new guest before issuing the keys. It seems like this hotel does not have good controls and simply issues the keys.

Will update more on my experience.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Fkhai

Hello Fkhai,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and impressions of the hotel during your stay, I am only sorry that this was not for much more favorable reasons.

As I mentioned to you during your stay, this was an absolutely isolated incident and one that we have disciplined our associate for at the reception desk. I agree it is absolutely unacceptable and something that should not occur, trust me this has been addressed.

I was not aware of the repeated number of keys that had been brought to your guest room, this is something that I need to investigate further to understand why this occurred.

I do hope that you had a better ending to your stay and managed to discover some of the wonderful activities that Sabah has to offer.

Warm regards,