“Fantastic hospitality for our trip!”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Adelaide
“Fantastic hospitality for our trip!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at Le Meridien for the second time this year following another good stay a couple of years ago. We loved it the second time just as much as the first - nothing has changed. The lobby/entrance is lovely and vast when you walk in from the heat outside, rooms are good sized and comfortable (some appear to have an issue with drainage though which we informed the hotel of as a bad smell would occasionally come out of the drain), and breakfast was fabulous with many western and asian choices!
We were treated so well on our stay, we actually climbed Mt Kinabalu during our trip where my partner proposed at the top of the mountain. The hotel found out and immediately upgraded us to the suite rooms with flowers and wine - it was a nice touch for our return after a couple of tough days on the mountain.
I plan on returning to Kota Kinabalu again and will definately be back to Le Meridien!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Congratulations on your engagement and reaching the summit of the Mountain Caroline!

I am so pleased that we were able to play a small role in making your engagement memorable. We look forward to welcoming you both back to the Le Meridien when you are ready to continue exploring Sabah.

Warm regards,

Fiona Hagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Whyalla, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a couples week away and was very impressed by all aspects of the hotel.

The staff were friendly and made the stay very enjoyable, we ended up ordering room service one night and I had put in a request to change my burger without pickles, I received a room call afterwards to advise the pickles were in the burger patty which I said it was fine, about 10 minutes after we received our meals I had another call from the staff to check if I liked the burger...it was a simple gesture but I was impressed by the consideration.

The breakfast buffet which was included with our booking was incredible, a massive variety of good food on offer! We didn't end up eating at the hotel for a sit down meal but we spoke to some other people staying at the hotel who had and they highly recommended it.

Location wise was perfect for us as it was across from a large shopping complex and a row of waterfront bars all offering different cuisine.

We stayed in a Classic Room which was immaculate! The attention to detail was fantastic and for a standard room it felt very executive. The only thing I could say I didn't like was it wasn't very sound proof, we could hear the toilet flush in the next room and people talking outside, but we didnt spend too much time in the room so this didn't bother us too much.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, you really can't go wrong!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Had booked a club room and after a hassle free check-in we were given a room on the 9th floor with a sea view which was superb. However there the praise ends. Although the room was huge it only had one comfortable chair in it and as there were two of us it meant one person had to sit on the desk chair and this armchair was decidedly grubby. If we had been staying longer than 2 nights I would have complained about it. The bathroom was a good size with a separate shower and bath but the enamel on the bath was chipped in a few places, for the money we paid for this room I would have expected better. There was only one towel and robe(suitable for someone size 4 and 4 ft tall!) but a quick phone call rectified this.
We had breakfast in the club lounge on the 12 th floor and again the view over the harbour was superb. There was not a lot of choice for breakfast but we had been told there was more choice in the main dining area but what was disappointing was how slowly the serving plates were replenished - it does not look good to leave a fruit plate out with only a couple of slices of water melon on it. The two staff worked really hard to serve drinks and clear tables. We were met with the same scenario of empty serving dishes at the evening cocktails too.
Internet access was painfully slow.
We have stayed in quite a number of hotels in this part of the world and would say that the meridien might be a 5 star hotel on paper, in practice it would struggle to get 4 and definitely does not offer value for money. We are presently staying in the Four Points in sandakan, also a Starwood hotel and although it is officially a lower ranked hotel, it beats the meridien hands down on facilities, service and value.

Room Tip: A sea view will make the stay more passable
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thebrews10
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear thebrews10

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us in the Le Meridien. Please accept my sincere apologies that we were not able to provide accommodation and services up to the level we should of provided you during your stay.

We did have a challenge specifically over 2 days in regards to replenishment in the club lounge and have implemented steps to ensure that this does not occur again.

In regards to the standard of the guest rooms, we will be starting a renovation of the hotel in 2014 which will address your points related to the standards in the guest rooms.

If you are travelling this direction again in the future please let me know as I would like an opportunity to showcase the hotel to you in a more positive light.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year.

Fiona Hagam
Bangkok
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Became a SPG member and got a room on the 11th floor with sea view: the room was perfect: very spacious with great amenities in the bathroom with bat and separate shower. Plenty of towels that could be changed if you wished so. The rooms are sound proof, the king size bed was gorgeous, there was a fairly large desk to put on my laptop and papers. The room was daily cleaned in a very robust way. The location is ideal: you can literally walk to everywhere in the city; the bus station is nearby which comes in very handy: you hardly need a cab and public transport cost nearly nothing and is very convenient. The small buss are very old but the drivers are careful and drive slowly. The Xmas decorations in the hall were very nice and gave you a real festive feeling. During 2 evenings a choir was invited to sing Xmas songs for one hour. The breakfast had a great variety, I stayed 5 days and could not try all the various items. Cappuccino was served as request and the bar tender who made this coffee is a genius, he made nice patterns in the milk. Everywhere the staff was very polite and smiling and they spoke with enthusiasm of the hotel. Many staff were young and explained they were 6-8 months with the hotel but they knew their duties very well. It was a very nice stay, although it was very crowded and very busy with this Xmas period, there was nothing to complain about. If I will come gain to Kota Kinabalu, this will be again my hotel.

Room Tip: Excellent location and rooms on the top with sea view are great. Worthwhile the extra price.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Hello AMBBangkok

I was delighted to read your review from your recent stay with us. Indeed the hotel has been very busy over the festive period, though I am pleased this did not impact on your stay.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback related to our young but enthusiastic associates, I am so pleased to read this as it affirms that our recruitment and training programs are achieving our objectives to provide warm caring service with engaging associates.

I am thrilled with your feedback related to the housekeeping service and have shared this with the team as it validates the work over the past months into room cleanliness.

Your feedback has been shared with our team to ensure that they will continue to welcome and care for our guests in the same way.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Arrived here after three months by motorcycle from Timor to excellent reception. Staff all friendly, restaurant excellent, rooms very good and location perfect for business or leisure. Possibly one of the best hotelson my entire trip

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Glasair
Hello Glasair,

Thank you for your very kind comments from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that we were a welcome Oasis at the end of your motorcycle trip.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year, please visit us again if your travels bring you this way again.

Best regards,

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 21 December 2013

"I will Go Back" is about the best I can say. The staff was very nice, and the hotel was decorated nicely. It certainly felt like Christmas even though it was quite early in December when I stayed. They even let me check in quite early in the morning since my flight was an early one when I arrived in KK.
Like most Starwood hotels, this hotel charges for the internet. Hey Starwood, this is an extremely outdated policy. While I am sure this brings in quite a bit of money for your company throughout the year, it shows how little you care about guest experience since virtually ALL guests, business or leisure, will use the internet. As a Gold member, I will deliberately choose IHG or other brands that offer free internet even though it is a business expense and I don't pay for it. In this case, I paid for three days of internet which was so slow, I was unable to make Skype calls for business and do many of the things I needed it for. My colleague had the same issue, and we both asked for the charges to be removed from our rooms. Luckily, I have a Malaysian phone with 3G and was able to use that for my business needs. My colleague was not so lucky.
The breakfast offering was dire, particularly the pastry and salad selections. I found this odd since they have a chef's picture all over the breakfast and advertise it as some amazing breakfast. I certainly did not find it very nice. The service was equally poor with little attention being paid to guests, just clearing and resetting tables.
The hotel had events around the pool almost every day we were there. Again, this brings in revenue for the hotel, but shows were guest experience ranks in management's priorities! The staff at the door doesn't take an active role in helping you with transport. They just wave a taxi in and then you are on your own. A couple of times, they actually walked away as the taxi was driving up. They don't open doors, tell the driver where you are going, advise how much it should cost, or do anything remotely helpful.
The location is fantastic and the view of the sea was great. There is not a lot of choice in KK at the moment, so Le Meridien can continue to offer mediocre service until competition heats up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hello jchanifat,

Than you for taking the time to share with us your feedback from your recent stay in KK. Whilst I am delighted that your lead comment is "I Will Go Back" I was disappointed to read some some of the items in your review.

We do have Wifi 3G dongles available in the hotel and are able to provide spot services in guest rooms to provide a more stable connection if you contact our duty manager during your stay. Whilst I know this is not an ideal solution, this is the best temporary solution we have at the moment we have till we have upgraded the bandwidth in the hotel which will be early 2014.

I am surprised to read your comments related to breakfast, this is usually an area that we receive positive comments and feedback from our guests. I have shared your comments with our culinary and service team to ensure that the same experience is not repeated for other guests in the future.

Please accept my apologies that you were inconvenienced by the pool. We do hold events by the pool side, though we prepare these with minimal impact to our guests as we use the dedicated pool side venue for these events. Once a week we do run a pool side cocktail, though this is an event that utilises some space from 530 pm on wards and is attended by our in house guests which you would of received an invitation to if this happened during your stay.

Our bell boys and concierge staff are on standby at the lobby to assist guests with transportation needs and will specifically assist guests with directions and pricing with the taxis if the guest requests. I am very surprised to read that you did not receive assistance as I personally observe this behaviour and have received compliments from guests on the level of assistance provided by this team.

As I mentioned I was very pleased with your overall comment of "I Will Go Back" and would like to extend an invitation for you to connect with me personally next time either prior or during your stay with us. Specifically if you have any of th above issues again as it is much easier for us to address this whilst a guest is in the hotel so we are aware of a specific associate, event or shift.

Thank you again for sharing, I wish you a very happy new year.

Sydney
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights.

Hotel was chosen due to being in the city, close proximity to the airport, and good reputation.

We booked the Deluxe Sea View room. This was well appointed and quite large. I couldn't fault the room, and we were aware that the hotel was a bit dated. This didn't phase us at all. The room and hotel were clean and refreshed daily.

Service was good.

Breakfast was varied.

For the price, it is well worth staying.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Abdul D
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Hello Abdul,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay in Kota Kinabalu.

We are aware that the hotel is dated and we are planning a renovation starting in 2014, though I am delighted you found the room clean, this is something we have complete control over.

I do hope you have a chance to visit Kota Kinabalu again sometime in the future.

Best regards,