“Very good accomodation in KK”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Hong Kong, China
“Very good accomodation in KK”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

After a night in another hotel that i would not mention, we stayed at Le Meridien for 3 nights.
Rooms are comfortable and clean. The service is good and the pool is not huge but nice.
The breakfast has plenty of choice and the quaity is correct.
It is really central and just in front of the market and the harbour bar and restaurant area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BabyCParis
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Hello BabyCparis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with others from your recent stay with us! I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel facilities and location.

Please come back again and visit us again soon.

Best regards,
Fiona Hagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for 10 days over Christmas and if we hadn't prepaid, would have checked out long before!

Check-in was fast and friendly, initial impressions of the room were favourable-- although it was dated, the room was very spacious (bigger than our HK apartment!). Bed was too soft and lumpy-- felt like sleeping on a waterbed if the other person tossed and turned! The trouble started early in the morning-- noisy mainlander family banging and yellng next door. Called up to complain and was told that they had just checked out... but the noise was still coming from their room, so loud I could hear the Mandarin words. They'd left the TV on, blaring! Not the hotel's fault but this was an indication of the quality of guest staying there at the time. Every morning at 7am we were woken up by children screaming and runing up and down the hall, while we were often disturbed by loud conversations in the hall at 2 or 3 in the morning. We'd come to KK to relax from our busy lives and I was so looking forward to getting some decent sleep, but was actually more exhausted in this supposedly 5-star hotel! To make matters worse, the doors slam shut, so even with quiet neighbours you will still get woken up by these almighty thuds. This is something the hotel can surely fix-- where is that soft 'click' of a good door? With all the noise and interrupted sleep, we ended up wasting so much of our mornings trying to 'catch up' on lost sleep. Terrible.

Ended up changing rooms, but had to be quite firm about it and there was no sympathy or apology. Lucky we checked where the new room was, because they'd actually planned to move us closer to the source of the noise, on the same floor! By that point I was so tired and disappointed and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Finally we got a room on the 10th floor, slightly tucked away from other rooms. However, the door slamming was still an issue. In the new room, lack of attention to detail was evident again-- there was only one robe, and it was very old and small. Not the same fluffy type as in our original room. I'm petite and it didn't fit. Had to call for a proper robe to be sent. The bathtub in the new room was missing a lot of enamel and had rust (!!!), so no relaxing baths for me. Also, there was a lot of mould on the wall near the shower. Disgusting.

In both rooms, the pipes were so loud that when the next room used the water, there was a hideous screaming kind of sound. Also, in the first room the aircon was hideously loud and we couldn't turn it off. Again, more noise in a supposedly world-class hotel.

Food-- the first morning, so tired, tried to order room service. The clock said 10:45am and the operator said it was too late to order breakfast because it stops at 11am... well, it wasn't 11am yet! Wasn't even 10:45-- the clock was showing the wrong time, it was only about 10:20. The second room we had also had the wrong time on the clock-- little details matter in a supposedly 5-star hotel. Had there been a breakfast menu that you hang outside the door, we wouldn't have had such trouble. I thought that the hotel just didn't supply one (the menu is printed on cheap folded paper, so I thought it was cost-cutting) and it was late when we arrived so I didn't question it, just went to sleep, but when we changed rooms a few days later we found one supplied. Again, lack of attention to detail. To their credit, staff ended up calling back and breakfast was delivered at about 11:30 am the first morning.

Room service menu not only looks cheap, but it's boring. Malaysian food is delicious and varied, yet the room service menu barely showcases this, especially for vegetarians. Who wants bland pasta or crumbed vegetable cutlets, especially at RM45++?! The hotel would have made so much more money out of me had the room service menu been interesting enough to justify the high cost by local standards.

Had breakfast one morning. Wanted to try the 'special' breakfast dishes created by some chef, which aren't available for room service (good western breakfasts are a luxury for me in my part of HK, so I really do relish this when on holiday). Staff member had no idea what I was talking about and gave me a steak menu! Ended up eating the buffet, which was OK.

Pool-- very small area and at times there were not enough sunlounges. The hotel really needs to make the area non-smoking. Lots of kids the time we stayed, and the hotel seems to schedule lots of poolside events in an apparent attempt to make money. As a hotel guest I would expect there to be proper facilities and don't care about a family barbecue, I want to relax. The pool staff are very good, however, and know how to make a good cocktail. In contrast to the rest of the hotel, the gym is modern and well-equipped. It faces the ocean so it's quite pleasant to work out there.

This was a very, very disappointing hotel stay. One expects a Le Meridien not to be so run-down, and a decent night's sleep in such a hotel should be a given. Starwood should be ashamed to include this hotel in its portfolio. I cannot recommend this hotel at all, because even if a room is a bit dated, no mould or rust in the bathroom, a decent mattress and a quiet night's sleep should be a given. You'd have to have some seriously low standards to be satisifed with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bimdonesia
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Hello bimdonesia,

Without trying to address your specific comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that I didn't have the opportunity to meet you during your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that we did not deliver up to your expectations in terms of your accommodation, experience or a relaxing stay.

I would sincerely like to contact you directly and would ask that you contact me via my email, fiona.hagan@lemeridien.com .

Regards,
F
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This Le Meridien is conveniently located at the heart of Kota Kinabalu, easy to reach to a lot of attractions. However, being the traditional luxury hotel in Starwood chain, this hotel disappointed me by its old facility as well as not so pleasant service during the night. For example, there was no toothbrush in my room, we called up and asked for two sets. Instead of getting what we needed in a short while, we waited for nearly one hour and the service only managed to deliver one set. During the one hour, the lady at the service center impatiently responded to our third call. The next day we made a complaint, again disappointedly, no one from the hotel ever contacted us for any further explanation or apology as a courtesy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ShAr0n41
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Hello ShArOn41,

Thank you for sharing your constructive comments related to your recent stay. Clearly on this occasion we did not deliver as we should of in regards to service delivery or recovery.

We do not place toothbrush's in the room as a standard, though as you mention we do have them readily available upon request for our guests. I do wish that I would of had the opportunity to meet you during your stay or had your room number so we could of used this detail to further investigate where our processes did not meet the expectations.

Please accept my reply as an apology for this oversight.

Warm regards,
Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This property is definitely not a 5 star hotel - more like a 3 star. I expected a lot more from The Meridien brand so a total disappointment. They upgraded us to a deluxe room which was an absolute joke. The fridge was leaking water everywhere, the toilet did not flush properly, the most amazing squealing noise everytime you turned the hot water on to wash your hands and the TV remote did not work. This was what we discovered after the first 10 minutes of being in the room - so I am sure we would have discovered more problems. They happily changed us to another room but there were still issues. The enamel in the bath was peeling off everywhere and the plug did not work so the water just sat there until the next day when they came to clean. In the meantime, more enamel had peeled off and instead of fixing the plug, they emptied it and just left the plug on the side. The first time housekeeping made our bed we thought our young daughter had done it. It was a joke as they did not even bother to straighten the bottom sheet just pulled the duvet up. Nothing was replaced (eg coffee) each day and it is clear whoever is in charge of housekeeping does not supervise. We had to replace the room key card at least 5X as it continued to stop working and we could not up and down in the lift.

I would expect these things from a 3 star but not a 5 star.

The positive is the staff are very nice and it is a great location but not worth the money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank o2bblonde
Hello o2bblonde,

I am terribly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay with us in KK. We are in the later stages of planning for a renovation starting in 2014 which will address some of the hardware shortfalls your have mentioned in your review.

I am concerned that you mention you had to replace your room key several times during your stay, this highlights an issue with our key encoder and I have addressed your comments with our team to see if we can rectify.

At the same time I take your comments related to the replenishment of your coffee very seriously and we have addressed this with our housekeeping leadership.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and do hope that this did not impact on your impression of KK as a destination to travel to again in the future.

Best regards,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed in meridien one night on the way to Sipadan. It's convenient. 10 min drive from the airport, friendly staff, nice, spacious rooms.

We arrived late and had the room service. The food was really good. We also had a breakfast in the hotel. Incredible selection so I'm sure everyone will find something to suit their needs.

Overall I'd stay there again if staying overnight in Kota kinabalu. For that reason we did stay there on the way back too.

I'm not sure if consider it for a longer stay. It's a typical big hotel, very convenient and with all the amenities but with no character and uniqueness.

One annoyance was the fact that on the way back they charged us for the wi fi.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Srubka
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello FeLicityFu,

Thank you for your feedback I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the location of the hotel.

You are not too far away in Kuching so perfect for a weekend getaway, we would love to welcome you back to KK soon.

With best regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Made a last minute booking at Le Meridien KK to escape from horrendous rundown Nexus Karambunai Resort. Check In service was fast and the receptionist was most helpful and attentive.

The room and bathroom is spacious and if you look at the welcome folder in the room, there is a nice of gesture of free cappuccino for 2 at the Lobby Lounge.

Just opposite the Filipino Market and famous Port View Restaurant.

Overall, feel the price of room a bit high - RM 440++ even for a Starwood Hotel, should at least include free breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian C
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had 2 interconnecting rooms. Very spacious, comfortable rooms. We arrived at 11am and were given early check-in, no extra charge. Very easy check-in and check out. Hotel is central to the markets and some shopping. Not a lot to offer in KK itself apart from markets. Free Wifi in Lobby and pool area, only. 35 ringgat per 24hr for Wifi in room. The hotel decor is a bit tired looking in certain areas (hall ways, room doors) and leaks in the bathroom, but is due for refurbishment 2014. The bed looked fantastic but was a bit hard for us and the pillows were not adequate for us - 1 was too soft and the other too hard. Overall, a highly recommended hotel with friendly attentive staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the South China sea, much more attrctive to look at than the City view - durin...